Keelar 5

Keelar

About me: Sorry been ill again...no time for this place :-((

Member since:30.07.2008

Shampoo For Sensitive Babies

22.03.2011

Advantages:
Very gentle

Disadvantages:
Quite pricey

How gentle is it?

2. brittle1906
  1. Dentolux
  2. KathEv
  3. xdonzx

My youngest daughter, who is now 2 ½ has always suffered with dry skin; I won’t say it’s as severe as eczema, but her skin in definitely drier than normal. She also had dry patches on her scalp which I have attempted to treat with Dentinox with no success. Over the last couple of years I have used various different ‘sensitive’ soaps, bubble baths and creams when bathing her but her skin always seemed to remain dry, and it is sometimes a bit scratchy. And then like a thunderbolt through the sky I suddenly realised that perhaps the shampoo I was using on her was irritating her skin, it was after all left in the bath water once I had washed her hair so obviously had to potential to get onto her skin.

So I avoided all the sensitive type shampoos aimed at kids and went for something more expensive designed for children with eczema and dry skin; I thought it definitely wouldn’t irritate her skin, and might even help to clear up the dry patches on her head.

Infaderm Conditioning Shampoo can be found in most large supermarkets and chemists; I have seen it in Tesco and Asda, and also Boots. I think I paid about £2.50 for a 250ml bottle, so it’s quite pricey, but I find shampoo tends to last quite a long time anyway because I only use a tiny amount and it is only used 3 maybe 4 times a week.

The shampoo is recommended for children with dry skin conditions such as Eczema and contains natural chamomile. The rear of the bottle states it is ‘hypoallergenic, soap free and contains no added colourings that could irritate your baby’s scalp and skin’ – it also helps the skin to retain its natural oils - this is what made me buy it, I thought I had to give it a go, it seemed more specifically designed for my daughter’s skin rather than the usual ‘for sensitive skin’ shampoos.

The Shampoo

I thought I would just add a quick note here about what the shampoo is like. It’s a clear thick liquid, not unlike the consistency of most standard shampoos. But the clear difference is that it doesn’t appear to have any scent whatsoever. I had not previously realised this but I have just squeezed some out of the bottle and given a good whiff and I cannot smell anything! I think this is pretty good because it shows the manufacturers really are concentrating on making it kind for sensitive skin, and not just making it look and smell nice.

Usage

When I wash my daughter’s hair I put her in the bath, then I fill the sink up with warm water and use this water to wet and rinse her hair with. I use a tiny blob of shampoo, about the size of a 20pence and work up a lather into her hair. I must point out here that despite my daughter being 2 ½ she still has a very small amount of wispy hair, so it does not take a lot of shampoo to work it up into a good lather. I always give it a good massage, and then rinse with warm water. It tends to rinse off relatively easily, but as I say my daughter has not a lot of hair so things might be different with a mass of thick hair.

It often goes into her eyes but she doesn’t seem to complain much about this so it may have the ‘no tears’ formula integrated into the shampoo, but it does not state this anywhere on the bottle. Perhaps because it is so mild, it just doesn’t irritate the eyes either.

I have been using this on my daughter for about 6 months now and I have to be honest and say that the dry skin on her body has really improved because I don’t tend to notice it anymore whereas before it was my main point of interest after her bath. So it must have improved because I haven’t inspected her in weeks, maybe months, and a quick close look at her tummy just now has confirmed to me that her skin is almost as soft has her big sister, and that is amazing! She has always had a sort of scratchy feel to her skin, but now she feels really smooth.

However, the shampoo has not done much to improve her scalp, although the dry patches have not got any worse so that is a bonus. I think perhaps I need to brush her wispy hair more to get the oils flowing on her scalp and this might have more of a positive effect on the dry patches.

Ingredients

I don’t always agree with including a list of ingredients within reviews but because of the nature of this product I will include a list here. And it’s funny, despite the fact it states that it doesn’t contain this that and the other, it still contains quite a long list of chemicals!!

Aqua, Lauryl Glucoside, Sodium Laureth Sulphate (and) Sodium Laureth-8 Sulphate (and) Magnesium Laureth Sulphate (and) Magnesium Laureth-8 Sulphate (and)Sodium Oleth Sulphate (and) Magnesium Oleth Sulphate, Sodium Cocamphoacetate Hydrocycetyl Hydroxyethel Dimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Anthemis Nobilis, Citric Acid, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone Methylisothiazolinone.

(Phew!)

Recommendation

I would definitely recommend this shampoo for children because it is very kind to skin, although I cannot say how a child with severe eczema would react to it, but my daughter has definitely had no problems so far, and I would say her skin has definitely improved since using this it. I’m not saying it works as a ‘treatment’ shampoo but it simply does not irritate her skin in the way that other shampoos seem to do.

Anything Else

Suitable from birth.
You’ll probably find it down the baby aisle in most large supermarkets for around £2.50 for 250ml.

AnneLorraine1 25.03.2011 23:42

Very well reviewed

JasonJRogers 23.03.2011 00:24

Sounds lovely!

brittle1906 22.03.2011 23:03

Very good review. I will recommend this to my daughter as one of her children suffers with very dry skin too. Have an E! Linda x