Innocent Sweet Potato Chilli Veg Pot

Innocent Sweet Potato Chilli Veg Pot

Ready Meals

Review of "Innocent Sweet Potato Chilli Veg Pot"

published 06/12/2010 | Calla76
Member since : 14/07/2010
Thank you for all the reads and rates!
Good
Pro Very healthy, and a quick and easy lunch
Cons Too much going on in there!
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Sweet [potato] and innocent"

Sweet and innocent

Better known for its fruit smoothies, Innocent recently launched a range of healthy meals in a pot. Designed for microwaving (but also cookable on the hob), they are ideal for a quick lunch or healthy snack. I had seen these around in supermarkets and been keen to try one out, but had been put off by the price tag (around £3.50). So when I saw them on offer for 2 for 1 in my local Sainsburys I thought this would be the perfect chance to give them a go! And the only ones left were the Mexican Sweet Potato Chilli, so I picked up two of these!

Veggie boost

I was drawn immediately to the claim on the front that these provide three portions of veg (although it doesn't specify if this would technically count as three of your "five-a-day"). Either way this appealed to me as I've been a bit concerned that I'm not eating enough veg at the moment! So this seemed like a nice, easy way to top up my veggie intake. It also has less than 3 percent fat.

Piping hot

The plastic pot has a cardboard wrap which, as well as cooking instructions, has lots of other quirky stuff on it (such as uses for your empty pot - the one I ate suggested using it as a finger bowl ... so not to be taken entirely seriously I guess!). This is a nice touch and it gives you something to do while your pot is being zapped in the microwave! It takes four minutes altogether, with a stir inbetween. After the four minutes was up, my pot was piping hot and needed a tea towel for me to pick it up.

Healthy eating

I must say there is a whole lot of veg in this pot, including sweet potato, onion, red pepper and sweetcorn. There are also kidney beans and pinto beans. So all-in-all it's a healthy list of ingredients. The veg is bulked out with rice, and there is also a fairly thick sauce to give it a bit of moisture.

It took a while for my food to cool down, and then I tucked in. The taste is rich and slightly spicy - but not at all overpowering. Every forkful has something different and there are lots of different textures, from the soft beans to the firmer chunks of sweet potato.

I liked the taste of this - I had one for lunch and it wasn't too heavy or spicy for a midday meal - in fact I wouldn't have minded if it had been a little spicier. What I wasn't so keen on was the range of textures - I guess this may just be me but there was just a bit too much going on in here! The chunks of sweet potato were a little too big for my liking and I wasn't sure of the point of having a tiny layer of spinach on the top of the pot.

A great idea

I think the idea of this is great and I like the idea of getting as many veggies as possible into a simple meal like this. The taste and overall flavouring of the product was really good too. But, for me, there were one or two too many ingredients in here, and I am not sure I would buy this flavour again. However, I would be tempted to try one of the others in the range - there are eight flavours to choose from including Bombay Curry, Moroccan Giant Couscous and Roasted Aubergine Moussaka. I am definitely keen to try out a few of the Indian flavoured versions - especially if I can find them again at a reduced price.

List of ingredients if you're interested...
brown rice (17%) (water, brown rice), tomato, water, carrot, pinto beans, red kidney beans, onion, sweet potato (5%), potato, red pepper (4%), sweetcorn, spinach, vegetable oil, red chilli (0.8%), cornflour, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, cajun seasoning (spices, herbs, mustard seed, salt, sugar), smoked paprika (0.2%), green chilli puree, coriander, black pepper

Summary: A fantastic idea but didn't win me over

• MrBrightside1987 published 07/12/2010
    I quite like this, great review :) x
  • moistbabe published 07/12/2010
    Sounds nice and pretty healthy, I would think. A good way to up your veg intake x
  • Mistee-Dreamz published 07/12/2010
    Sounds alright although I'm not too keen on sweet potato