Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM)

Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM)

Review of "Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM)"

published 07/08/2003 | Nicole78
Member since : 10/07/2003
Pro Intensive and very interesting
Cons Usual disadvantages of distance learning

"Direct Marketing Distance Study"

Hi,

after my study of business administration (focus on marketing) in Germany and working in marketing for some years, I wanted to take part in some further education. The offers I found in Germany didn’t meet my expectations. So my previous boss who was English, proposed me a distance study at the IDM in England. For ½ a year I am now studying there and would like to share my experiences with you:

What and who is the IDM?
The IDM in Teddington is the leading international institution for Direct and Interactive Marketing. They offer different courses in marketing, communication and database – both as distance learning or local in the institute. Both a short course or a long-term study. The IDM has a very good reputation and a degree gained with them is quite often expected in job advertisements for positions in direct marketing. This speciality in Marketing by the way is already quite developed in the UK and other countries like Germany are currently trying to get up to date with this “new” development.

What I can give you more details about is the course I am taking part in the moment: The Diploma in Direct and Interactive Marketing.

The Diploma is offered as evening classes, distance learning (18 or 24 months), Intensive Residential, Intensive Non-Residential or as In-House for companies.

The 18 month distance study is the one I chose. It costs ₤1950 plus ₤150 examination fee plus the postage cost for the study material.

The course is quite practical. As I am partly responsible for direct marketing in my current company, I often can directly use the things I was studying the day before. That makes it easier. But also for those being new to Direct Marketing the material is very clear and understandable prepared. For those whose English is not their mother language – like me – only one comment: You should be really comfortable in using English on a business level. But if you feel comfortable in reading and understanding an English Marketing Book from the library, there is no reason to worry. In average 85% of the students pass the exam. An acceptable result in my opinion.

Entry Qualifications:
Applicants must be 18 years of age and have ’A’-levels in two subjects or BTEC National Diploma/Certificate in Business Studies. Students over 21 years of age my be admitted without the minimum entry requirements. Experiences in (Direct) Marketing aren’t a must, but quite helpful in my own opinion.

The exam is a combination of continuous assessment and sitting exam. During your study you have to pass 3 assignments:

1) Writing of a strategic marketing plan (10%)
2) Writing of an operational marketing plan (10%)
3) Preparation of a presentation as a direct marketing consultant (20%)

At the end you have to pass a three day sitting examination. Each of the exams are worth 20%.

During your study you have a tutor allocated whom you can contact by phone or email. He can give you further explanations and advice and also corrects and comments your assignments. We have also been passed the contact details of the other students with which you can get in touch for exchange and discussion.

The contact of the study materials is immense. Therefore only a quick overview which issues are covered. More details you can take from the homepage.

Module 1: What is Direct Marketing? What is Interactive Marketing?
Module 2: Customer Centric Strategic Planning
Module 3: Customer Relationship Management Technology
Module 4: Knowledge Management – Understanding and Analysing Customers
Module 5: Channels and Media
Module 6: New Business Planning
Module 7: CRM, Loyalty and Retention Marketing
Module 8: Traditional and New Media Creative Strategies
Module 9: Managing Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC)
Module 10: Special Issues and Futures

The following books have been sent to the students in addition:

Ø The new IDM Interactive and Direct Marketing Guide 1-3
Ø Direct and Database Marketing by Graeme McCorkell
Ø Internet Marketing by Dave Chaffey at al
Ø Up Close and Personal by Neil Woodcock et al
Ø Enterprise One to One by Don Peppers and Martha Rogers
Ø Marketing Principles and Practice by Dennis Adcock et al

On the website you can (have to) print out additional and very detailed Screen-texts to accompany to books and booklets as well as read different marketing articles.

My experiences
I enjoy my study until now and just passed my first assignment (yippee). Before you apply for the study you should be aware of the fact that the course is quite time intensive. I am working about 10-15 hours a week on it in the moment. And even if it is no “have to” I wouldn’t propose an application having no marketing knowledge at all.
I am missing a bit the direct contact with tutor and other students. Questions are answered, but you need a strong self-discipline to keep studying regularly totally on your own. And discussions per Email are just not the same... But that is a typical disadvantage of a distance study and I am happy with the general organisation. However, it is very interesting and I have the feeling I am learning more about Marketing and its practical application than in my previous study.

Contacts
Further details concerning the courses offered by the IDM you can find on www.theidm.com or by phone: 020-86140271 an. Or ask me if you want to have a personal answer or advice. I’d try to be helpful!

P.S. I just want to give you a little update on this: I happily passed my final exams with credit this summer. Looking back, I think it was a very tough study, although worthwhile doing. It helped me, getting my current job! I wouldn't advise, to do it via distance learning, as it doesn't only demand a huge amount of self discipline, but also lacks interactivity and help in the preparation for the 3 final exams. However, it was a fantastic feeling, to walk over the stage last friday at the graduation ceremony and to receive my very own Diploma in "Direct and Interactive Marketing"!

• scgproductions published 08/11/2004
    brill op........steve
  • mattygroves published 07/08/2003
    For two and a bit years, I worked for a 'lifestyle list owners' - we were folks who sent out the surveys that if you fill in you get junk - oh, I mean Direct - mail for the rest of your life...and became (through osmosis, more than anything else) quite familiar with the UK laws pertaining to DM (Data Protection) and the concepts behind them, and I have seen the books (though never took the course, even though I live within spitting distance of Teddington). Glad you're enjoying it...Cheers, Kate
  • Benniash published 07/08/2003
    This sounds like an interesting course, especially as I work in Direct marketing. Benn

Product Information : Institute of Direct Marketing (IDM)

Listed on Ciao since: 07/08/2003