International Velvet - Catatonia

International Velvet - Catatonia

Review of "International Velvet - Catatonia"

published 14/11/2017 | killingtime69
Member since : 31/10/2017
Here to get things off my chest! (Not my nipples.)
Good
Pro Rock with pop choruses
Cons Middle of the album not too exciting
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"The Last Of The Famous International Velvet"

Had I known Catatonia to have a song named 'Mulder & Scully' I'd have been on their case sooner! It is a name-drop - Cerys Matthews is no X-phile; the opener has jerking guitars, conflict in trying to go it alone. Highlight of the album however, are the "do-do"s and "na-na"s being partnered over Mark Roberts' ascending guitar line in follow-up 'Game On' - it is the song I'd want to hear most if they ever got back together. Of the acoustic numbers I prefer 'Don't Need The Sunshine' over 'Johnny Come Lately'. The songs sandwiched between them are not too exciting, but I'll remember 'Goldfish & Paracetamol' for its drum and brass, and the title track for which, aside from the chorus is sung in Welsh and I am not Welsh. International Velvet ends strongly: 'Strange Glue' is lighters in the air, 'My Selfish Gene' heartfelt.

• Soho_Black published 20/11/2017
    As a starting point, this isn't too bad, but as a whole review, it needs a lot more.
  • FluffyKipper published 15/11/2017
    I'm sorry, but I didn't find this review very useful personally. You could do with writing a little more and perhaps looking at how to format reviews. Thank you for taking the time to write a review though :)
  • catsholiday published 15/11/2017
    Not much here to rate sorry