Hotel - C./ Huesca, 1, Eulalia Del Rio. 7840 Ibiza - 180 Rooms

Review of "Invisa Hotel La Cala, Ibiza"

published 11/08/2017 | stacie17
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"La Cala aka. La queue- ala!"

Invisa Hotel La Cala, Ibiza

Mr B is always looking for good holiday deals. (Especially because I work in a school so there are only limited, expensive, times we can go away). We hadn’t planned to go to Ibiza, but as he was trawling through the summer deals he found a good deal to one of our favourite destinations- Santa Eulalia, Ibiza.

We paid £550 each half board. 7 nights. 2nd August 2017. We booked through Thomson so transfers and 15kg luggage was included. We paid extra to pre book seats. I had stayed in the La Cala hotel around 25 years ago, when I was 4 years old! And during our wedding holiday to Ibiza last year, Mr B's family had a short stay here to so we were aware of the hotel.

The hotel is now an adults only hotel, and is rated as a 4* hotel. It is part of the Invisa group of hotels. The transfers to the hotel from the airport took around 40 minutes, with some traffic. We had a morning flight so we arrived at the hotel about 12pm.

Location

This hotel is in an excellent location for Santa Eulalia. It is a very short walk to the harbour, bars and shops. There are also a couple of supermarkets in close distance. Although it is surrounded by busy main roads- although the noise was not an issue for us. It is not the quiet, sea-front hotel which you can find.
Mr B says “Good”
Check In

The first thing we noticed as we walked through the revolving doors was the air conditioning. It was a welcome relief walking in and instantly feeling cool and refreshed. We arrived at the same time as two other couples and went over to the reception desk.
“Passports”- this was how we were greeted by the receptionist. So we handed over our passports. “Tourist tax, pay now”- she handed us a card with the amount on, we paid and handed it back. She then told us that our room was not ready, the luggage room was over there, and that was pretty much it! She did pour us a drink of fruit choice, which did seem like to much effort for her, it was not the best welcoming we have had to a hotel. We then asked her how long our room would take, and she said about an hour.
As we were being checked in, we heard laughter…this was from the male receptionist who was checking the other couples in..he seemed nice…I wished we had him.. Anyway, as we know this resort very well we headed out for some lunch and visited my Mum and Dad who were also on holiday at the same time as us, (they stay in the Marsol Apartments). Around 2 hours later we headed back to the hotel to continue checking in.
As luck has it, it was the same woman. Still as brief as ever we got our key card, got our own luggage, she pointed in a direction and said something very fast, so we headed to the lift!

Mr B says- “Had to wait for room”
The Room

We were on the 4th floor of the hotel, so we took the lift with our suitcases, but for the rest of our time here, we used the stairs! This was our way of feeling like we were doing at least some form of exercise...75 steps! I counted!
As you walk through the room door, the wardrobes are on your right, the bathroom is on your left. Walking in further there is the bed (2 singles pushed together) on the left, a chair and desk on the right, and then straight ahead is the door to the balcony.
We had booked a standard room, there was the option to pay extra for a pool view room, but we decided not to, we weren’t planning on spending too much time in the room anyway!
The room was an average hotel room, everything there that you needed- kettle, hairdryer, air conditioning, ceiling fan, bedside tables, plenty of wardrobe/storage space, hangers, extra pillows/blankets if needed. There was also a good sized fridge- definitely a bonus! I would have liked more plugs- as you can never have too many! But that’s just a personal preference!
The bathroom was also your average bathroom it had some toiletries provided which I always think is a nice touch, the shower was very powerful and had a good range of temperature settings. Plenty of towels (and toilet roll!).
The cleanliness of the room could have been better. The cleaners did come every day and topped up the towels and toilet roll, made the beds etc. But there were days when we noticed that there was still sand in the bath or on the floor. I think as this is being rated as a 4* hotel there should be more attention to detail. Although on the whole it was “clean” but it wasn’t “pristine clean”. Am I starting to sound really picky now!
Our room was situated on a main road, which you wouldn’t know from being inside, there was hardly any noise from the outside, and we only rarely heard some sirens on one or two nights. The balcony had 2 chairs and a table, it was a good size. We didn’t use the balcony as we weren’t in the room enough. As this hotel is centrally located, there are no ‘good’ views, which we knew upon booking, so it wasn’t the type of balcony to sit out on with a cold drink (we used my Mums balcony for this, as she has a lovely sea view!).
I feel I usually have a lot to say about a hotel room, but this one was ‘fine’. Everything was as you’d expect and it was a good base for a shower and a sleep.

Mr B says- “It was alright”
The Restaurant

We booked this hotel on a half board basis, there is the option of a breakfast only option.
The restaurant is situated towards the side of the lobby bar. There is one restaurant which is a buffet option for both breakfast and dinner.
Breakfast times are- 8am-10.30am
Dinner times are- 7.30pm- 10pm

There is a good choice of food for both breakfast and dinner. Breakfast included the usual- yoghurts, cereals, croissants, toast, eggs, bacon, sausages ham, cheese, beans, hash browns, fruit etc. I had read previous reviews complaining about the bacon, there are now two types of bacon- ‘streaky’ bacon, and what Mr B calls- ‘real’ bacon. I think the bonus of breakfast times is that you can have a free glass of cava with it free! A little added touch there from the La Cala.
At dinner times there seemed to be a ‘theme’. Although sometimes it was hard to define what the theme was! We didn’t eat here for tea every night. We felt that as we got a deal with the price of this holiday then we could afford to eat out. We did eat in the hotel for Mexican night which was my favourite. There is always a choice of meats, chips, potatoes, cold foods, breads etc. The good thing was that as I looked around most people seemed to have a full plate after they had been to choose, so I will say that there is choice for everyone. As it is half board, you have to pay for your drinks, with a bottle of water being 2.20 euros.
So, the main and most important positive of the restaurant is the food, which is what you want…however I do have some negatives!
It gets busy! We struggled to find a non-busy time for our evening meal! The hotel must have been at full capacity as all of the tables were full, and they were asking guests to wait in the lobby until a table was free. The only time I can ‘half’ recommend going for dinner would be at 9.45pm...however this still has it downfalls. After we had got back from a day out (a Craig David pool party!) we went for our tea at around 9.30pm, it seemed there was less choice of food, and not much was being added to it. At around 9.45pm when it was less busy, the staff then starting helping themselves to plates of food! The restaurant didn’t close until 10pm! I’m fine with staff taking the leftover food but not until the paying guests have finished and left! We even had to wait for our waitress before we could leave to pay the bill for our drinks as she was helping herself to food! This just seemed unprofessional to me- but with the upside being- at least they are eating the food, which must mean its ok! Even the chefs were helping themselves to plates!
Anyway, moving back to breakfast times. There is a time which is good to go at, as long as you don’t want a bed by the pool. Between 8.30-9am is a prime time to go and you will definitely get a table (as the majority of people are queuing up for a sunbed!)
Overall, the food and the restaurant is fine. There is enough choice and we didn’t go hungry. I am glad that we had the option of eating out also, as there are some great places to eat in Santa Eulalia, and it would be a shame to miss out!

Mr B says- “Busy”

The Pool

As I have just briefly mentioned- people queue. The pool area opens at 9am, and as you may have seen in the news this is also one of ‘those’ hotels. I do understand why people queue- I just don’t want to myself! It’s not a big pool, so there are limited sunbeds, so if you weren’t in the queue before 9am then you wouldn’t be getting a sunbed! This didn’t bother us too much as we had plenty of things to do..but the option to use the pool without strategically planning it, would have been nice. In the end we didn’t use the pool. This is definitely a factor to keep in mind when booking this hotel.

Mr B says- “Never used it”

Overall

This is a good hotel. The room and food were both good which I think are the main points. In writing a hotel review I feel you do have to be critical of the smaller points- yes there was some sand in the bath and yes the restaurants got busy- but this wouldn’t put me off staying there again. Yes, the receptionist could have been friendlier but maybe she was having a bad day! The only aspect of this hotel that would make me think twice would be the pool situation! But if I found a good enough deal then at least I know that there is the world’s biggest pool just down the road from the hotel- the sea!
I did read a few negative reviews prior to staying here, and I think the issue is that it is advertised as a 4* hotel. I think it is best placed as a good 3* hotel. For our stay it was a perfect base to eat, shower and sleep.

Mr B says- “Good”

• euphie published 01/09/2017
    e :o)
  • Mickie26 published 26/08/2017
    Sounds amazing I would love to visit x
  • pinotprincess published 25/08/2017
    looks lush , bet you have holiday blues now