It Was Written (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Nas

It Was Written (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Nas

1 CD(s) - Rap - Label: Columbia - Distributor: F-Minor; Sony Music/Arvato Services, F-Minor - Released: 01/07/1996 - 5099748419620

Review of "It Was Written (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Nas"

published 12/04/2001 | messsingh
Member since : 11/07/2000
Pro Good production and lyrics
Cons none
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"NAS IS COMING"

O.K, so yeah maybe I didn't go into town to buy this album but you know what happens! You see something and you have to buy it! This was the case with Nas' alcum, It was written. My brother has a Nas album, Illmatic and I like it so I thought this wouldn't be bad either. I have to admit I bought it because it was reduced to £4.99 in HMV, and I thought my brother or I might like it so I couldn't really go wrong for the price.

It was written has 15 great tracks. The three I knew before buying the album were Street Dreams, The message and If I ruled the world. I didn't realise these were all on the album so this was a bonus. If you like any three of these songs then I think it is safe to say you would like this album.

The message is a cool rap tune with a good backing and clever lyrics, and gets your head bopping, but this is true for basically all of the songs on the New Yorker's album.

Street Dreams is quite upbeat, but is an interpolation of "Sweet dreams" written by Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox performed by the Eurythmics. However it is not Annie Lennox singing before you get surprised! It is Nas saying it in an adapted way to the song, "Street dreams are made of these n****s pushin' bimas and 300 e's a drug dealer's destiny is reaching the keys everybody's looking for something" You can't help singing along to the chorus of this one! WARNING-It will get stuck in you head!

If I ruled the world (imagine that) is the second to last track on the album and features vocals from the very talented ex-Fugees member Lauryn Hill who sings the chorus, "If I ruled the world, I'd free all my sons..." I love this song, the way it begins is great, Lauryn Hill's amazing tuneful voice opens the song and gets you hooked.

I gave you power is a darker song, but very clever. Nas is rapping as if he is a gun, "my body is cold steel for real, I was made to kill that's why they keep me concealed" This song proves Nas' lyrical skill, very imaginative.

Nas is coming is a Dr.Dre produced track, so it is obviously good! In my opinion Dre is one of the best Hip hop producers. It starts with a conversation between Nas and Dre, then singing. Then Nas' kicks in with his wicked rhymes. The backing is great, catchy and proves Dre's skill once again. This song also shows Nas' lyrical skill.

I recommend this album if you are a hiphop fan, as every tune is good, and there are different ones to suit your mood, ones to chill out to and other more lively ones.

Buying this album was a change for me because most of my rap is by Eminem so I found this quite different in a way. For one because Nas' voice is definetely deeper than lovely Mr.Mathers, there are not trademark sound effects (apart from a few gun shots) like on Em's albums and it is generally darker (not dissin Em in anyway, as I am a massive fan of his).

Nas has gone quite commercial now with the great QB Finest ft Nas and the Bravehearts, Oochie Wally. So you've probably heard of him which is great because even though he has been around for a long time, his talent should still be recognised.

The inlay is great basically because it has all of the words. There is only one picture of him in the inlay, but it doesn't really matter because it is about the music!

Just one thing, "Nas is coming..."

• coolj published 22/04/2001
    Nas is a great MC and some of his tunes are very catchy as you said. I've got his last album "I Am" and if you liked "It Was Written", you'll definitely like "I Am". I'll roll out an op on it for you to read soon! Good op!!
  • jefferson published 13/04/2001
    That's much better! You wouldn't believe the number of Ciao members who would have revenge rated me for that comment! Good on ya :)
  • mrbibbly published 12/04/2001
    Good,detailed and well written op,cheers,Alex:)

offers "It Was Written (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Nas"