JML Fresh Air Globe

JML Fresh Air Globe

Freshen up your Air Globe (see code 038201) with a eucalyptus scented refill.

Review of "JML Fresh Air Globe"

published 23/02/2008 | Minha
Member since : 23/07/2003
Coming to terms with a new computer - I'll be back when I find out where everything is :o)
Pro Attractive and can be used for aromatherapy
Cons Can be difficult to keep clean
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Light and Airy"

This was an item of which I was unaware - until it appeared amongst the Christmas presents. I had seen others similar but not this particular one. I have to say that it was probably something I would not have bought myself but I was quite pleased to receive it as a gift.

The Fresh Air Globe has three main parts: the water tank, the base and the lid - which also houses the motor. The unit is powered by electricity for which the cable and mains adapter are, of course, included along with the easy to follow instructions and two small bottles of essences - Eucalyptus and Lavender.

The JML water tank is made of clear plastic, unlike some other brands which have a glass tank. This has to be filled with tap water up to the maximum water level shown. It is then placed on the base with a few drops of the essence (if required), topped off with the lid and connected to the power supply.

The on/off switch is at the back of the base which also contains the LED light display. The switch for this is on the front of the base and you have a wide choice of light colours and displays. My calculation of the variations is fourteen - although I would not stake my life on that! We tend to lean towards the paler colours: lime green, electric blue and lavender (and variations) but there are also bright colours for instance a very festive red, green and blue - ideal for the Christmas season and even flashing lights and a strobe which would be great for parties!

The lid - which in our case is silver (as is the base) but which apparently also comes in "pearl" - contains the motor which appears to be mainly a fan but with a tube that goes into the water from the centre. This agitates the water which then swirls around and gives the impression that rain is falling inside. It is said that dust and 'particles' are drawn in through the top grill, passed down through the water and clean air is then sent out. I have to admit that the water DOES become rather dirty although adding essence does make it cloudy to start with. I will also say that the cool air that is emitted from the top has a lovely freshness to it. In fact, one of my cats has taken to sitting on top of the television beside it and I feel it is because he likes the freshness there.

We have tried three of the different essences: Eucalyptus and Lavender which were included as small bottles and Lemon which we purchased later. I would not say that any had a strong scent (unless you use too much). Used in small amounts (the instructions say 1 to 2 drops) there is a lovely freshness - particularly on entering the room. In my opinion it is rather like going into the garden after rain on a spring or summer day. The others that JML sell are: Rose, Sandalwood and Teatree.

As I said, the water does become rather dirty but apparently doesn't have to be changed until this happens. We have found that the water goes down fairly quickly so it does need topping up regularly. As we live in an area which has extremely hard water we also have to clean the bowl and interior as we get deposits of lime scale which need to be removed. I have found that cold water and a wipe with a kitchen towel is usually sufficient. Other cleaning instructions are included in the booklet but are mainly common sense anyway like not immersing the electrical parts in water or putting it in the dishwasher.

On the whole I have been quite impressed with this and, although I may not have bought it for myself, I am very pleased to have it and it is in constant use. The Fresh Air Globe can be obtained in the usual JML outlets or from www.JMLdirect.com for the price of £39.99.

I do hope that you have found this of interest and I thank you for reading it.

• jo145 published 17/02/2010
    Haven't seen these but they seem quite expensive so may not be around now. Jo x
  • lora44 published 10/10/2009
    I love reading about JML gadgets and gizmos. Great review x
  • Supergirl2022 published 18/05/2009
    This review deserved an E, I think I'll pop down to Homebase tomorrow and see if they sell them there :)