JML Fresh Air Globe

JML Fresh Air Globe

Freshen up your Air Globe (see code 038201) with a eucalyptus scented refill.

Review of "JML Fresh Air Globe"

published 14/08/2011 | SallsMumof2
Member since : 19/06/2011
Good
Pro 'washes' the air, humidifies and looks pretty
Cons Not the best at fragrancing the air, many other versions available (many cheaper)
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Not as good as it's predecessor"

I used to have 2-3 plug-in air freshners around the house and after various warnings regarding people's houses burning down because of them (scaremongery no doubt!) and the constant high price of buying refills I decided to look for an alternative product to provide a continuous fragrance at home.

My mother-in-law is a big fan of shopping channels and she mentioned the Goodsphere Revitaliser. Now, this review ISN'T about the Goodsphere it's about a 'lookey-likey' Goodsphere from JML - but I did just want to mention the Goodsphere as (to my rather limited knowledge) the Goodsphere was pretty much where it all began, and for my money, it was by far the best in comparison to the JML Fresh Air Globe. Unfortunately, my Goodpshere broke after about 3 years faithful service and at that time, they were not in production, so I had to go in search of an alternative.

One day I was in a local department store and saw the JML Fresh Air Globe with £10 off (bringing the price to around £30) so I picked it up. This was around 3 years ago and despite my still hankering after it's predecessor, the Fresh Air globe is still going (but only just!). In the last 3 years, many other companies have got on this particular bandwagon and there are now a wide variety of Air Globes/Revitalisers/Humdifiers available and they range vastly in price from under £20 to well over £70.

When I bought my globe there were 2 versions available - 1 with a cream pearlescent lid (the one I have) and 1 with a silver lid. The globe set-up consisted of a plastic bowl, a lid with intergral fan/rotator, an LED plate to sit the globe on and a power lead and mains adaptor. I think it also came with a couple of trial essences (but I can't quite recall).

It's incredibly easy to set up - just plug the lead into the mains adaptor and the back of the LED plate and lid (it has a split lead with seperate jacks on the end), fill the bowl with water, switch it on and away you go! The bowl does have a maximum fill line so you don't end up with water sloshing everywhere once it gets started which is handy. You can also decide whether you want to add any essence to the water or not, it's entirely up to you. The LED plate has a small square recessed button on the front and you press this to select the LED's colour and light pattern/sequence you wish to see - you can have just a static colour of red, green or blue for example, or you can have it flashing (rather irritating and almost strobe like), changing colour by switching from one to the other or by a slow blending from one to the other (my personal preference). It does remind me of the different programmes you can choose for your twinkling fairy lights at Christmas to be honest!

The idea behind the Fresh Air Globe and other 'revitaliser' type spheres is that it sucks in the air from the room, 'washes' it in the bowl of water and blows it back out into the room having been cleaned, fragranced and humidified by the contents of the bowl. Now, I have heard a variety of claims around these type of gadets regarding, stoping snoring, aiding breathing and sleep problems and goodness knows what else. All I can tell you is that in my experience it fragrances the room adequately (nowhere near as good as the Goodshpere), does get rid of all manner of cooking smells (as I have mine in our kitchen) and it has helped with my eczema during the winter months when the central heating is on. There is also a very noticeable difference regarding how much the water level drops whether the heating is on or off indicating the humidifier aspect works well.

The general recommendation is that it can be used for up to 12 hours per day and the water should be changed daily. It is very economical to run, apparently using less electricity than a light bulb. It is also very quiet. My Goodsphere was quite noisy, but the Fresh Air Globe is very quiet. I think the difference in volume is related to the strength of the fan, as although this is quiet it doesn't pump out the fragrance nearly as much as the Goodshpere. I used to be able to smell the Goodsphere throughout most of the ground floor of our house and it was lovely to step through the front door and smell the fragrance. However, the JML Globe struggles to kick out enough odour to fill our kitchen let alone the rest of the downstairs. Another issue is cleaning the motor/fan/rotator - I cannot seperate the parts to clean them properly and it is now getting rather furred/sludged up with, I'm not entirely sure what! I assume the debris/gunk is a combination of what it sucks in from the air and residue from the essential oil fragrances.

My JML Fresh Air Globe is now coming towards the end of it's days - the fan/rotator is sticking sometimes, the bowl has a permanent tide mark in it no matter what I do to clean it and I know it won't be long before it grinds to a halt completely. Although this isn't a glowing review of the globe, to give it it's due, it has performed reasonably well and as a type of product I am actually a big fan. Therefore I will give the JML Fresh Air Globe 3 stars - it does the job for which it's intended adequately and I will purchase another revitaliser when it finally gives up the ghost, but it won't be another JML Fresh Air Globe.

• LadyValkyrie published 06/09/2011
    It sounds like a good idea but a bit of a luxury.
  • mum2boys82 published 28/08/2011
    I'm just not convinced this is a product I need! Rebecca Xx
  • Elysia2003 published 18/08/2011
    I have one too - I'm not too sure mine works that well - It's good a gathering dust though. :)