JVC HA-FX1X

JVC HA-FX1X

In-ear canal headphones that reproduce powerful and dynamic deep bass sound.

Review of "JVC HA-FX1X"

published 14/05/2012 | indifferent
Member since : 14/05/2012
Pro Incredible bass and generally stunning audio quality at all frequency levels.
Cons Slightly oversized ear pieces.
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

"Truly unrivalled at this price range."

A short while ago I purchased a shiny new phone, one with 16GB of memory for my entire music collection. Then I thought, what's the point of having all these great songs at my disposal when they sound so poor through my cheap and nasty headphones (you know the ones you get free with new phones), so I made the decision to invest in a bit of quality, having a good idea of the top most reputable brands, I set out on a mission to find some high quality, well made headphones for less than £50. What I eventually bought were some £25 headphones that were better than anything I expected for double that price. The JVC HA-FX1X Extreme Explosives....

The first thing you'll notice about these is the bold design and oversized buds (due to the massive 10mm driver) mine are black rubber and look awesome I have to say. They do stick out of your ears quite alot, and you kind of look as though your about to be brought back to life by a certain fictional scientist but despite this they stay in the ear very well. As for the lead its an unapologetically bright red, which give them a bit of attitude and just let you know that these headphones aren't your average set. One rule for headphone wire is the thicker the cable the better the quality. Much to my surprise these were incredibly thick, and not only that but pure copper! Very rare at this price (£25) and much better at delivering clean signal transfer.

Now onto build quality, as far as I'm concerned these bad boys are indestructible, and whilst I'm reluctant to test my theory it has to be said that these really are the toughest headphones I've ever bought or even seen for that matter. The lead is fastened firm to the buds and I even dared to give it a good hard tug to be sure, as for the buds themselves, these are rock-solid! They have a kind of half rubber half plastic finish and seem to be moulded out of granite. As with all cushioned ear-piece type headphones the caps are prone to coming off now and then, however I was grateful for the three different sizes they give you (small/medium/large) for different ear types/sizes, be sure to test each of them as It can make a great difference to noise isolation and therefore sound quality.

Now to the most impressive aspect of all, the sound. This really did blow me away, first off I must say these headphones specialise in delivering bass, that said they are extremely versatile and still great for all music types. The drivers on these headphones are 10mm, which is massive. To put this into perspective the average cheaper pair will likely have a 4mm driver. The advantage of this is a distinct lack of distortion even at extremely high volume levels, and also a lower audible frequency range and generally richer sound. Whilst they are superb for all genres, when using them for genres like Dubstep, DnB or anything bass orientated they really come into their own. You can FEEL the bass and that's no exaggeration, even at super low frequencies its so rich and so powerful it completely and utterly changes the song.
Also these headphones, despite not claiming any noise reduction properties are pretty good at isolating the sound when using the right size ear pieces.
Here's my highlights of the spec;

10mm neodymium drivers
gold-plated 3.5mm jack
Extreme Deep bass ports
2.6mm very robust pure copper cable

I can tell you right now I've just seen these online with free delivery for £16.99! That really is incredible value, simply cant believe the spec at that price....completely unrivalled. Whilst I'm conscious I've had a bit of a rant here I can assure you its justified, If your looking for headphones that can really deliver but don't want to blow the bank then trust me, right now you wont find better anywhere. Id advise looking on youtube at some of the comparison tests between these and some £80 Klipsch Image S4's. Thanks for reading and I hope this helped.

• catsholiday published 14/05/2012