JVC HRS5967EK

JVC HRS5967EK

Video Recorder - S-VHS - Stereo - 4 heads - with Show View

Review of "JVC HRS5967EK"

published 20/10/2004 | iiyama1000
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"VCR JUST WILL NOT DIE!!"

Alright,i know that dvd is easier for playback than video,but have you tried recording with a dvd recorder? I have and by the time i rummaged through the encyclopaedia sized instruction book,the programme was finished. Video to the rescue!!!

Here i am waffling on and i should be telling you about my experiences. So,here goes:
I brought my JVC video recorder in february this year from comet for £129. The reason that i went for this particular model was because it had s-vhs playback and recording,a major improvement over normal vhs.

Okay,you say, but video is old fashioned.True,it is but there is still life left in it yet and with this particular model,what you get are superb quality pictures and nicam stereo sound as well.

If you use s-vhs tapes,the quality of the pictures is even better.
On the other hand, if you use normal vhs tapes,
those clever people at jvc have come up with something called vhs-et,which gives you near s-vhs picture quality on normal vhs tape, but it can only be played on this particular machine,although you can still play it on a
normal machine,but without the quality of s-vhs.

The machine has all the usual facilities of normal video recorders,including eight event,one month
timer,remote control,index system,frame by frame advance,rapid rewind,one touch record,
on screen display,video plus and a very large easy to read display on the front of the unit.

Of course,the picture quality is not as good as
dvd,but it is very,very good.
As far as i am concerned,there is not that much difference in
picture quality between this video recorder and
my dvd player(a cambridge audio).
I would never use the video recorder in long play mode,because that is the weakest point on all video recorders,
but on a three or four hour s-vhs tape, the results
are very impressive. I can only tell you from my own experiences what i think of the quality of
this machine,but you need to audition one for
yourself.

Most stores do an exchange or money back scheme if you are not happy. But once you get this machine home,you ain't gonna take it back!!!!
VIDEO IS STILL ALIVE AND MACHINES LIKE
THIS WILL KEEP IT ALIVE!!!
TRY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

• Dizzy_Lizzy published 11/03/2005
    Both VCRs in my house just died, so maybe I'll try this. You're right - recording is much easier with these than DVDs. ~Liz
  • kiria published 07/03/2005
    I dont know, you hear so many conflicting things about the ongoing availability of these machines, someone told me recently indeed I think it was even a news item that they are phasing them out to such an extent that they wont be available at the end of the year. Plus Videos wont be either....so where does that leave you? I have seen combos where there is vhs and dvd....why would they be bringing that out if vhs is to be discontinued soon...strange really...this sounds pretty good...my vhs is not repairable any longer and I think I will buy one before you cant get them. Ive got so many Videos it would be madness not to have something to play them on. I remember years ago, the 8 track car stereo system, yeah the tapes where huge and took up loads of space in the car, but I still liked it....wow im giving away my age here haha....I just wonder how long dvd players will last until something replaces them....:)
  • mizz_behaves published 25/02/2005
    I miss video, I gave into the pressure of DVD players, I have now decided, maybe, to try the combi units. It's the one button recording I miss about VHS, this does look and sound a super model. sarah xx