JVC HR-J645

Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"Adequate"

I decided to buy this VCR as I was impressed by the number of various features it had for improving the quality of both recorded and played videos. I must say that these features aren't nearly as impressive as they make them sound, and I found that the picture quality, although slightly improved, was not significantly better. This could be put down to the shortcomings in VHS itself. One feature I was particularly impressed with is PDC - programme delivery control - this allows your video to dynamically change the time it begins recording if your programme is delayed, for example, because the football runs over. Sadly, I found the behaviour of this feature to be erratic as it sometimes started recording too early, too late, or not at all. I'd rather be at the mercy of the programme schedulers thanks. The rewind and fastforward is fast and relatively quiet, and the on screen menus make configuration a dream - all the channels will be set up automatically, with the correct names automatically assigned to them, and even the clock sets itself automatically, so there's no excuse for the blinking 00:00 anymore! I have seen better pause facilities, but this is not the worst I've seen.