Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (DVD)

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (DVD)

Review of "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (DVD)"

published 03/07/2017 | sellerleygirl
Member since : 15/02/2015
♬ •♩ All we need is rates!! •♩ Everybody!!•♩ All we need is rates!! ♩ •♬
Good
Pro It was relatively entertaining as an action film and did have a few humorous moments
Cons Slow moving and poor plot development.
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Good not great movie but still worth seeing - I think!!"

-•- Jack Reacher. Never Go Back-•-

-• Film Only Review -•-

-•- Introduction-•-

I have always been an avid reader; I read from a very young age and would, and still do, read anything and everything. When, as a 6-year-old I stayed at my grandmother’s house – there was no TV and on Sundays I wasn’t allowed to play out, so I would read. When I’d extinguished the supply of Enid Blyton books or Secret Garden, Just So Stories etc I had taken with me, I would raid my grandmother’s bookshelves and consequently grew up reading Agatha Christie books at a very early age.
I think that this must have whetted my appetite, as throughout my life, no matter at what stage of books I have been in to, I have always had a guilty pleasure literary pleasure – crime and thriller books.
Unlike me, my husband was never a big reader – he preferred the pages of a Haynes car manual to a good fiction; however, a couple of years ago, I was showing him a funny book I’d downloaded on my Kindle about the North West, when he became quite interested in reading, and although VERY slowly, he began to read some of my books.
Consequently, I bought him his own Kindle, and I introduced him to the likes of James Patterson, Harlan Coben and Lee Child.
So, when the Jack Reacher film was released about 5 years ago, we actually went to the cinema (a very rare occurrence for my hubby) to watch it, then this week he spotted the new Jack Reacher film ‘Never Go Back’ on Sky Cinema - so with something called the Fifa Confederations Cup dominating our TV screen, we decided to watch it.

-•- Tagline-•-

Never give in. Never give up. Never go back.
-• Genre-•-

• Action
• Adventure
• Crime
• Mystery
• Thriller

-• Film-•-

'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' is a 2016 American action-crime film based on the eighteenth 'Jack Reacher' series novel by novelist Lee Child. "One Shot," which was the basis of the first film Jack Reacher (2012), is the ninth book, which means this movie is not necessarily a direct sequel. The film was made and released three years after the novel had been first published in 2013.
Lee Child has a brief cameo as a TSA agent who is seemingly ambivalent to the fact that Jack does not really match the stolen ID he is using to board the plane (much as Tom Cruise doesn't match the ID of Jack Reacher)
Film Details

Budget $60 million
Box office $161.5 million

-• The Trailer •-

-• -The Story -•-

"Welcome back to the Army, Major. You're under arrest.”

As the film starts, there has been bloodshed and violence but we don’t get to see it, just the injured men laying on the floor. Reacher (played by Tom Cruise) is sitting in a diner, looking meditative, as witnesses tell the police about this “one guy” who has taken out a small army of attackers in just seconds.

Jack Reacher is a loner and both anti-authority and anti-social: he is used to “working alone” and to “being alone”, his social skills and expertise at small talk are profoundly lacking.

Reacher gets in touch with the major in charge of his old company (only people who have read the books will know why) - this is Major Susan Turner (played by Cobie Smulders), a woman as tough and as self-reliant as Jack himself. When Major Turner is arrested on trumped-up espionage charges Jack is determined to get her out of jail.
To add to Jack’s problems, along the way he accidentally discovers that a paternity suit has been filed against him and Reacher challenges the unruly and light-fingered teenager Samantha (played by Danika Yarosh)

Meanwhile, the brains behind the international arms cheating are determined to tie up all the loose end that are stacked up against them, and that includes Reacher, Turner and young Samantha by association. Needless to say, the baddies - led by a one-man killing machine, named in the credits as simply 'the Hunter' (played by Patrick Heusinger) - haven't counted on Reacher's skills and abilities.
-• -The Main Cast -•-

Robert Catrini as Colonel Bob Moorcroft
Robert Knepper as General James Harkness
Jessica Stroup as Lieutenant Sullivan

-•- Let’s Talk Jack Reacher-•-

Reacher left home at 18, graduated from West Point. Performed 13 years of Army service, demoted from Major to Captain in 1990, mustered out with the rank of Major in 1997.

Author Lee Child, gives us a very detailed picture of his ‘hero’, a quick glance of his description is:

• Name: Jack Reacher
• Born: October 29
• Measurements: 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest
• Hair: Dirty Blonde
• Eyes: Ice Blue
• Clothing: 3XLT coat, 95 cm. pants' inseam

One description of him by Child is:

“His lazy lopsided grin. His tousled hair. His arms, so long they gave him a greyhound’s grace even though he was built like the side of a house. His eyes, cold icy blue like the Arctic. His hands, giant battered mitts that bunched into fists the size of footballs.”

So why on earth is the diminutive Tom Cruise playing this role? Lee Child is said to support the" casting of the 5'7" tall Cruise as Child's 6'5 tall," 250lb weighing, and 50-inch wide-chested character of Jack Reacher. Despite a lot of criticism at the original casting of Cruise, Lee responded: "Obviously, Tom Cruise doesn't match the physical description of Reacher in the books, but the movie is not going to match the book anyway."

-• -My Opinion -•-

I find it hard to come to the terms with the tiny Mr Cruise playing the giant of a man I have read about in Lee Child’s novels. At 5’10” myself, I am not a lover of little men, especially when playing the part of somebody described as being “built like the side of a house”.
However, the admirably defiant Cruise, is still going strong at 54 and does manage to bring his own nimbleness and quick wit to the role of Jack Reacher.

I really enjoyed the first Jack Reacher movie from 2012 (when I got over the size of Reacher!!) but I felt that this newest incarnation was anything but exiting; and, as with many sequels, the first film was far better.. This offering was quite bland, did not have enough action and, I thought, was highly predictable. Tom Cruise is beginning to look his age and is clearly out of shape in this film, when he strips off his top in the motel he has more moobs than a 6 pack!
Don't get me wrong though - I felt that Tom Cruise gave a decent performance overall – both he and and Cobie Smulders were pretty good in fact, however, the rest of the cast were not that interesting at all and lacked any character development - and Danika Yarosh as Samantha Dutton was really
Annoying. Some of the fight scenes were quite thrilling alongside the action but the whole film felt very slow paced, it went on for far too long and the script and final cut of the film were really quite bad.
I would say that was this film is short is the real heart and soul of Lee Child's work; reading the novels is a far more satisfying experience while the film just gives us a broad, bare bones plot and a lot of one-dimensional characters and a disappointing storyline.
Like too many film sequels, this film tried to give action rather than character development.
I can’t see there being a third Jack Reacher film after this one!!

-• Ratings-•-

• IMDb:6.1/10 from 82,771reviews
• Metacritic:47% from 43 critics
• Rotten Tomatoes:37% from 205 reviews
-•- Critics -•-

• The Guardian: "Tom Cruise returns as the taciturn hero in a single-minded adventure with a bland supporting cast"

• The Daily Mail; "Emotionally uninvolving stuff: Tom Cruise falls short in Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, his second action-packed Lee Child adaptation"

• The Telegraph: "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back? If only this dreary Tom Cruise franchise had never started"

• The Hollywood Reporter: "Undistinguished visually, this marks a return to the old days, when sequels were almost always markedly inferior to originals that spawned them."

• The Independent: "Tom Cruise’s loner is just as inscrutable as before. What starts as a pared-down and brutal thriller quickly - and bizarrely - turns into a family melodrama"

-• - How to View - •-

As of 04/07/17, ‘Jack Reacher: Never Go Back’ ‘can be purchased from Amazon from £3.00 new and £5.24 used or buy from Amazon Instant Video -£6.99
Some DVDs on Amazon are available for free delivery within the UK and are if you have a Prime account, if neither of these apply add £1.26 for postage
Amazon are currently offering £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies.
Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017
It is also available free to subscribers on Netflix and Sky Cinema.
-•- In Conclusion - •-

Do I recommend it?
Well really, I am on the fence here – an undecided!
You will get to see some stuff blown up, car chases (and lots of foot chases – Tom Cruise DOES love to run!!), there’s also a lot of shooting and fights- so if that all floats your boat, you may well enjoy it more than me. Otherwise, it's not that deep a film, it has a very simple, predictable plot so if you’re looking for a thought provoking mystery , you will be disappointed – it was pretty clear just who was bad and who was good.
Personally, I would suggest that you read the books, they are FAR superior to either of the Reacher films.

Thanks for reading I do hope that this review has been of some help!