Jackie ChesterBoat

Review of "Jackie ChesterBoat"

published 04/09/2017 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Just gone to watch the Tour of England cycle through my home town
Pro Good relaxing way to view some of Chester
Cons ?
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Cruising on the Dee"

Jackie ChesterBoat

Now let me tell you of another of the things I did in Chester this summer. I went on a cruise on the Jackie one of the Chester boats. Chester boats also have a boat called the Mark Twain, and also a boat called Lady Dianna which also offers cruises on the river Dee.
The Jackie was refitted in the winter of 2016 so its furbishments were fairly new when I sailed on her.

~~~~Location~~~~
The Jackie Diana sets sail from Quayside, the Groves Chester.

~~~~Suitable~~~~
Suitable for both Adults and children. Although some of the other boats have wheelchair ramps and interiors which can be accessed by wheelchair which makes access for wheelchairs possible. The Jackie has stairs leading in onto both the upper deck and the lower desk
So not wheelchair accessible.

~~~~ Length of cruise~~~~
Half an hour city cruise or 2 Hour Iron Bridge Cruise

~~~~Other cruises~~~~
The Diana is also available for Vintage Afternoon Tea cruises; you could also hire the Jackie or one of the other boats for a wedding reception or other party, also available for school groups.

~~~~Ticket price~~~~
The 1/2 hour cruise that I bought at the quayside cost £6.50 (senior) on line it cost £5.85 a standard adult £6.50 at the quay side is £ 7.50, a family ticket £17.50 quayside or £19.00. See http://chesterboat.co.uk/sightseeing/half-hour-city-cruise

~~~~ Sailing Times~~~~
The sailing times are for the months between March and November. There is at least 1 sailing an hour between 11am and 5 pm April to October March and November sailings end at 4pm.

~~~~The Lower deck ~~~~
~~The aft/ stern/rear
At the rear of this level there is the saloon an area with leather seating, stools and tables and a fully stocked Bar.
It looked smart and clean.

This area is covered at the sides and does have some windows but I did not go into this area as I wanted a good view of the river.
There is also a small toilet area on the lower deck; I did not need to use it.
~~ The front/ fore/bow
This part of the lower level has a roof and large full glass windows which can be opened. This area is where the party is if you are on board for a party, There is benchseating in this area and the viewing is good, if the weather had been showery or windy when I was on boards I think I would have been tempted to this deck
~~~~Upper deck~~~~
So I sat on a seat on the upper deck this has no walls or side so a good place to sit in the sun and to get a god view.

The fore part of this level has a roof and large full glass windows which can be opened. This area is where the party is if you are on board for a party. There is seating in this area and the viewing is good, if the weather had been showery or windy when I was on board I think I would have been tempted to this deck.

~~~~my experience~~~~
I found the seating on the Jackie quite comfortable enough for the half hour.
I enjoyed my Trip on The Jackie. On this half hour cruise the boat cruises along the river beside the Groves, past some very "posh" houses, under the suspension bridge and, past Grosvenor Park and the Earls eye.
The Jackie was nowhere near full lots of spare seats. After we began our journey there was a short commentary about the river and the area. After a few minutes someone came round the top deck and asked if we wanted to buy drinks. I did not want anything as half an hour trip was not long/ we sailed along I gazed shoreward admiring the riverside properties.

. The Jackie turned round at the city limits and I was watching the waterfowl and scenery. We went a group of children learning how to canoe. I also saw several dog walkers in the meadows. I was watched the waterfowl and scenery If you are a birdwatcher then I would suggest taking your binoculars. There are ducks, and swans on the water, birds in the air and over the green meadows.
The Jackie turned round at the city limits not really very far but then you would not expect to go far in half an hour, If I had the time and went to Chester again I might book in the 2 hour Iron Bridge cruise.
During the journey back we were given information, a little about the history and about the properties we passed by and the bridges we passed under.
I think this a good trip with a different view of Chester. I was lucky with a bright sunny warm day with good visibility.

~~~~Would I recommend ~~~