Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Diesel

Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Diesel

Saloon - Front (FWD) - 5 Speed Manual Gearbox - 1998 cc - Max Speed: 125 mph - 128 bhp - Diesel

Review of "Jaguar X-Type 2.0 Diesel"

published 20/06/2004 | RICHADA
Member since : 20/06/2004
++ "RICHADA" possibly looking for a new outlet - suggestions in a GB please! ++ Looks like the operation is to go ahead on Tuesday, I'll be away for a spell then. ++
Good
Pro Jaguar badge. Styling. Lots of options to play with.
Cons Very little equipment. Cramped interior. Some not very refined.
Safety
Spaciousness
Road Handling
Customer service

"X-Type Diesel - OK if you get a good one."

I have to start by saying I don't own or run an X-Type Diesel, came very close to doing so, but then discovered the Accord Diesel and purchased that instead.

I test drove one of the launch cars last year at Company Car in Action at the Millbrook Proving Ground. It was an option laden d Sport and looked superb in black.

Very impressive was the overall refinement, I informed the Jaguar staff on the stand quite honestly that I would be replacing my much liked 2.5 V6 (petrol) Omega with this car.

However my wife was not present to ride in this car and I booked a test drive with our local Jaguar dealer just for her to try it out before signing on the dotted line.....

.....and what a good job we did try that second car!

This one was more London taxi than Jaguar, it also had quite the worst wind noise that I have experienced in a car. My wife also pointed out, quite correctly that this car was tiny inside compared to the Omega and that it had very, very few standard features.

She said that it felt like a coffin inside, I felt that it had an entirely different engine under the bonnet to the car that I had returned from Millbrook enthusing about.

With £20,000 of my Company's money to spend on a car that we have to live with for the next three years and 100,000 miles, we decided that a Mondeo Ghia X with all the bells and whistles (and a 6 speed gearbox) would make a much more sensible purchase.

I then discovered the new Accord Diesel, 143 Co2 rating - Euro IV too, it saves both myself and the Company a fortune in tax.

We win too as it has vastly more space and at £20,000, more equipment than another £5000 spent from the Jaguar options list would buy you.

Unlike the other reviewer of this car, I would not rate the Honda's ride or handling as inferior to the Jaguar and it is certainly a lot quicker and more refined.

Having previously driven both 2.5 and 3.0 litre versions of the X-Type, with four wheel drive, I have to conclude by saying that the 2.0 Diesel is actually the pick of a very disappointing range.

• bettyboo47 published 14/05/2016
    Makes me so happy to read this review after you have read all my awful ones!!!
  • danielclark691 published 20/03/2016