Japan Airlines - JAL

Japan Airlines - JAL

Review of "Japan Airlines - JAL"

published 30/08/2000 | khunKwai
Member since : 22/06/2000
Pro Very Polite air crew and ground crew
Cons Smoking stench, poor food, small seats, no personal TV, bad food
How often do you travel with this airline
Where did you book
Food Quality
Customer Service
Punctuality

"I'd rather swim to Japan."

Maybe I just got lucky and got the worst aircraft that JAL own or maybe I'm just so used to really GOOD Airlines (such as SIA, Thai and Cathy) that I found JAL to be horrific...and horrific is being nice...so lets get on with the details...

My flight was a 6pm flight from Bangkok to Narita Economy class; it's a 6-hour flight.

First the seats, small, very very small, with leg room that an 8-year-old child would find tight. I am not overly tall but I could not put my feet on the floor in front of me if I tried to sit straight in my seat, My knees had to be jammed into the seat in front higher than my own seat, if I sat slightly sideways i could squeeze my feet onto the floor, just. Foot rests, no idea couldn't reach the floor to find out.

And so we took off...and then it got really bad...the smoking started. I swear every person in smoking class must have had 4 or 5 cigarettes in their mouths waiting for the "no smoking" light to go out, and as soon as it did the smoking cabin just fogged out. One minute you could see into it the next it was zero visibility. The flight attendants closed off the smoking area with curtains and that slowed the rolling clouds somewhat, but what was really needed was an airlock. The whole plane stank for the whole flight.

Hot towel, wow that hot towel that everyone else is raving about arrived, the best one was the one before landing so I could wipe the stench of cigarettes off of myself...hot towels, so what every airline has them..…even Olympic.

The food, now being as this was an evening flight my friend and I decided not to eat at the airport before the flight but rather to eat on the plane...big mistake.... dinner was served shortly after take off and it was a...cheese sandwich...one cheese sandwich... with a slice of cheese...not even a lettuce leaf to brighten it up....and then there was the tea...no shortage of tea…..drink as much tea as you like....but no more sandwich’s.

There are no personal TVs on JAL, and after flying SIA so often and getting my own TV and 20+ channels to choose from on economy, then JAL just falls flat on it's face here too

Positive things, the flight crew were very polite...and most impressive of all was that on the flight back the JAL Ground Crew all line up and wave to you as you leave...that was kinda cool to see.

I shall never ever fly JAL again, not even if they were half the price of everyone else, and I'm sure the ground crew wave to SIA, Cathy and Thai planes too.

• cyclone88 published 22/11/2002
    I'm surprised you had a bad time with them
  • fujisan_uk published 27/10/2002
    I think you got unlucky - I flew London-Narita and the plane was spacious (hardly luxury though in economy class!), the food was good - a choice of English or Japanese cuisine - and there were mini TV's showing 5 films, flight map or (crappy) games to play in every seat!