Review of "Jason Bourne (DVD)"

published 26/08/2017 | IzzyS
Member since : 27/07/2006
Thanks for all rates. Let me know if I dont re-rate you - I will rectify it ASAP.
Pro Fast paced, tense/gripping/intriguing, atmospheric, special effects,
Cons Disorientating (jerky) camerawork, unoriginal elements, somewhat longwinded by the end
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Bournes Back...Another Fast Paced Spy Film"

- Story -

The CIA agent finds himself being hunted down by the agency again, after a rogue operative who went underground and helped Jason (Nicky Parson) , finds himself partnered with someone about to whistle blow secret aspects of the CIA. Will the CIA manage to get their Nicky and Jason? you'll have to watch the film to find out.

- More Info., Thoughts & Opinions -

This is a spy based action/thriller film with themes covered including hacking, chases, casinos and cover ups. This is the 5th in the series of Jason Bourne films, sometimes referred to as Americas James Bond equivalent (although you may be mistaken from presuming its the first due to the titular name).

Within the first few scenes, it reminded me quite a lot of the US drama show 24, being fast paced, featuring seemingly complicated IT systems being hacked in to, with various different cities in different parts of the world being focussed on and so on. There is some quite jerky camerawork featured from relatively early on, as if whoever was filming the scenes were a bit nervous or trepidatious - I found it a bit disorientating at times. Plot wise, its quite fast paced and it felt rather volatile, in terms of what was happening on the ground (as it were) and what might be to come, due to those 'behind the scenes' second guessing what may take place.

If you haven't seen the previous Jason Bourne films then I'd compare it to a mix of the Mission:Impossible films and James Bond films. Also, og course you may be a bit confused about the character and obviously the back story. I've seen the first 3 but im not sure if I saw the previous film to this one, yet I still enjoyed it, appreciating the visual effects and the general tense and fast paced atmosphere and tone this film carries. I thought the plot was quite intriguing, with us (the viewer) finding out a little more about the main character, while wanting things to work out well for him. I imagine that these days there will be many people who potentially wonder what large organisations may have on file about some people (the age of paranoia? or is it? food for thought), so (at a bit of a stretch, I should say) perhaps it is somewhat relevant.

Cast wise, Jason is (once again) played by Matt Damon, who gives another solid performance as the steely, determined rogue agent. Meanwhile, Julia Stiles is back as Nicky Parsons - I like her character, being slightly reminiscent of Chloe from US drama show 24. Also noteable in this film are Tommy Lee Jones, who plays CIA Director Robert Dewey, Vincent Cassel, who plays Asset and Alicia Vikander, who plays Heather Lee.

As the plot develops, it became more gripping and there were some plot twists I didn't see coming. The music present in the film is quite sombre in tone, sombre and slightly spooky, edgy sounding, so typical fare for a US spy film I'd say. There is certainly an element (if not a general feeling) of blink and you'll miss it, during the faster paced action scenes.

Content wise, the film contains numerous fights with moderate violence present - guns and bombs are depicted and people are shown with bloody injuries. There is the ocassional use of strong language but nothing especially graphic and no sex or drug related content. There are some particularly frantic fast action/chase scenes which could seem frightening to some younger viewers. The film has been given a 12a rating in the UK, due to this.

Overall, I felt it was a film of second guessing and it was quite an engrossing and engaging one at that, for the majority of it. The camerawork won't suit all but for what it is, its most certainly not bad. It isn't 100% original and it did feel a little long, probably about half an hour longer than it maybe needed to be (running time wise) but for the most part I felt it to be quite watchable and engrossing. I felt the same for the Oceans films, so maybe that might help you judge if you'd find it too long or not(?) I'll leave that for you to decide.

- Would I Recommend It? -

Yes I'd recommend this film, as a good American spy action thriller film. It features some unoriginal elements to the plot but it also has one or two decent plot twists and a good cast and I found myself feeling quite engrossed and entertained by it generally speaking, so I'd recommend it on that basis, although it is somewhat long winded.

- Availability -

If your interested in seeing this, you can buy it on DVD for £5.00 at Amazon UK, at time of publishing this review.

- Final Note / Thank You -

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you found it useful and thanks, as ever, for any and all rates and comments.

• NBCMad92 published 05/09/2017
    Great
  • danielclark691 published 31/08/2017
    very good
  • Violet1278 published 31/08/2017
    An excellent review. E from me.

offers "Jason Bourne (DVD)"