Java Enterprise in a Nutshell

Java Enterprise in a Nutshell

Review of "Java Enterprise in a Nutshell"

published 23/07/2012 | crazynightwalker
Member since : 23/07/2012
Pro Learning the basics, readability, usefulness
Cons Sometimes boring sentences, not too deep insight on technologies
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"How Java Enterprise in a Nutshell helped me"

I remember a few months ago as I decided to get started with Java since I was programming a whole lot of other languages, but never Java. Since I somehow knew about O'Reilly books being easy to understand and helpful I decided to go for the "Java Enterprise in a Nutshell".

Actually, I got the first edition of the book. I was amazed how understandable the book is at first glance but then I realized it has some boring sentences as well, which I would've cut out if I was the author. Anyway, taking into consideration that some of us have a slower understanding of things, maybe it was only me not bearing with all the details. Even if wording seemed over-extensive, I found it truly helpful.

Every single chapter gave me the opportunity to look into some parts of the Java technologies. You might say those have changed meanwhile and it is true, but still the foundations never change and that is great. It was exactly not more and not less than what I actually needed to get going into Java learning.

I enjoyed the dozen of examples presented in the book, sometimes funny, sometimes precise. All in all it was pleasant to learn from them and try them actually working on my computer.

You know this nutshell-stuff always focuses on a short but to-the-point presentation and I honestly think this book has quite achieved the goals. I don't say it's all you need - it's not like "I will be a Java programmer after reading one O'Reilly book". So never expect that!

However, as a starter, I just loved it! Now I can read Java-related forums, news, library information - everything. Why? Because now I got to the point of understanding these, with a minimal amount of further research.

What's best is the readability - let's say you have no experience and still you will understand the book!

Product Information : Java Enterprise in a Nutshell