Review of "Jelly Belly Bean Air Freshener"

published 11/01/2018 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Pro Other scents might be ok
Cons Blueberry definitely is not!
Performance
Ease of Use

"Rotting Fruit"

A while back, I decided to make my car smell nice and with this in mind I went out and bought an air freshener. There is lots of choice when it comes to such a simple thing as an air freshener and I looked blankly at the wall of smellies before blindly reaching out and grabbing a name I recognised. In this case; Jelly Belly. Because everyone loves jelly beans! With their rich and different flavours, the proper Jelly Belly jelly beans are still one of my sweets of choice now and I am long past the woes of childhood. I’m going to be thirty this time next year you know!!

Either way, there are a variety of different formats you can buy these air fresheners in and indeed, a variety of different scents that you can pick up as well. I have only tried one of these multitude of scents and formats and having had my car smell like rotting fruit for a while, I have decided that this is not an experiment I am keen to replicate and I am happy to have my car smell like car. Either way, the formats are; a hanging bean that works like the standard tree air fresheners and hangs off the mirror, an aerosol spray and a diffuser which you attach to the air con system and let it blow the scent out towards you.

Scent wise, you have no end of choices; Blueberry, Strawberry, Cherry, Very Berry, Tutti Fruiti, Top Banana, Vanilla, Lemon Drop, Island Punch, Margarita, Liquorice, Pink Grapefruit and Tangerine are the ones I can currently see on the website. I believe Sainsbugs only sold a small sampling of those however, so if you want the more varied selection, shopping online is your friend. I picked out the diffuser version of the blueberry scent and happily attached it to my car air blowers. And by Jesus, did I know it was there!!!

The scent hits you in the face like a rusty mallet and it isn’t a nice, sweet, fruity scent of blueberry like I was expecting. Nope. It’s a sickly sweet, vaguely rotting, hammer it down your nostrils and into your throat version of a blueberry. It is potent and not all that nice in reality! Whilst I had it in the car, I had several people get in the car with me and not a single one of them liked it. My husband – although fiancé at the time - quickly declared it as potent rotting fruit, another friend went down a similar line and after a week or so I was utterly fed up, took it off and stuck it in the dashboard compartment for nose safety prevention or something like that. I have since chickened out of opening that compartment as it must reek to high heaven. God help me when I need to get my sat nav from it!!

If there’s one thing that I can say for this air freshener, it’s easy to use. It comes out of the packaging nearly and attaches to the blowers in the car with a simple two pronged mechanism. It doesn’t fall off and the liquid within it had barely decreased after the couple of weeks I used it for so it’s a safe assumption that it will last a good while and so will the others within the brand. I can’t comment on the other formats like the jelly bean hanging one, but they also seem to have good reviews and in fact seem to smell better than this one did as well which has to be a bonus..

All in all, I cannot recommend the diffuser version of the Jelly Belly air fresheners for the car and I certainly cannot recommend the blueberry version of this. If you are brave, feel free to try one of the other scents…but I’m certainly not going near them again with a pitch fork or a ten foot pole!

• Soho_Black published 12/01/2018
    I use the Jelly Belly air fresheners that you hang from the rearview mirror. The lemon drop one I have in my car at the moment fortunately smells exactly as you would expect.
  • mumsymary published 12/01/2018
    no ta. I dislike car air freshemers
  • RICHADA published 11/01/2018
    Second to Ms. Zelwegger, car air fresheners are a pet hate of mine! R.