Jelly Pong Pong nude and improved Bare

Review of "Jelly Pong Pong nude and improved Bare"

published 12/08/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
Enjoying life, busy working full time and having fun with my family and always on the lookout for new beauty innovations!
Good
Pro good in a rush or on the go
Cons bit pricey
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Very pink toned highlighter"

Introduction
I own a lot of make up and actually use around 5 percent of it on a daily basis so I have a lot languishing around abandoned for whatever reason but not totally hated so it does not get thrown away. This highlighter pencil is a prime example, in fact it looks hardly used but I have used it a few times to see what it can do.

The brand
Jellly Pong Pong is a brand that I have come across a few times through the various beauty boxes I have subscribed to. I think they are a pretty cheap product line and the packaging to me looks like it is aimed at little girls (as is the brand name!) so I am not particularly drawn to it. I’ve had from memory a lip frosting, liquid highlight and a lip balm then this pencil from the brand. Overall I have not had anything I have adored but I will always give things a go in case I find I have been missing out.

First impressions
I have a few highlighters in different formats, liquid, mousse, powder and pencils so I was interested to try the pencil to see how it worked when compared to my other highlighting pencils. I probably own around eight different branded ones (off the top of my head) but I am not a daily highlighter … if the men have made it this far in to my review they are probably visualising a yellow Stabilo highlighting pen by now. It’s nothing like that though, more of a pencil with a soft melting product that you can draw on your face and then blend in to your skin. It is supposed to pick up the light and give you angles you never knew you had. You can sharpen this with a regular pencil sharpener as it is made of wood overall but the size is slightly chunky so you might have to go for the large side of a double sharpener. The pencil also has gold cartoon sunglasses drawn on it, I am not sure why this is relevant to the product but I suppose it makes it look funky and the gold looks nice against the purple background of the pencil.

In use
This is a soft crayon style highlighter and it is easy to blend although it comes out a lot pinker than I was expecting so it’s a different shade as my other highlighting pencils are more of a beige creamy colour. It’s nice to try a different shade though. I tend to use it on my brow bone. You could use it as an eyeshadow though if you wanted a fresh eyed look. You can blend it in with a beauty sponge if you wish but I find that it works better using my fingers as the heat from my hands helps to melt the product a bit more and get it moving around so it can be blended to a more subtle finish.

What they say
Achieve a subtle highlight with the Jelly Pong Pong Bare Necessities Highlighting Pencil; a versatile crayon that functions as an eye shadow base, water liner, concealer and a highlighter. Effortlessly applied and seamlessly blended onto skin or into base makeup, the effective pencil instantly illuminates the face. Brightening skin, the pencil is able to visibly disguise minor blemishes, as well as reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles.
Enriched with Maracuja and Rooibos Tea extracts, the Bare Necessities pencil ensures skin appears radiant and lustrous. Use to brighten the brow bone, eyes or upper cheek bone. Free from Parabens, Phthalates and Animal Cruelty. Hypoallergenic.
My thoughts
I do think that less is more with this product. It is not one that I reach for daily as I prefer a liquid highlighter or the “Chella” pencil which is more peach toned than this pink one. I would not dismiss it entirely, it’s quite compact and does not take up much room so I might take it on holiday with me when I go as I prefer a simpler make up look on holiday and I think the pink tones of this highlighter and its multi tasking role as an eyeshadow will earn its place in my smaller make up bag.

Price and availability
The highlighter pencil seems to be popping up online in dollars so it is more available in the USA than the UK but you can still buy them if you are feeling rich. This is definitely not pocket money prices! At HQ Hair website the 1.5g pencil is priced £15. Casting around further I found a brand new and sealed pencil for £8.99 on Ebay. That’s about it so not so easy to find and I am not aware of any shops that sell this brand.

Final word
This pencil was a “nice to try” but not a rebuy for me as the pink colour is not really the shade I am after. It’s a bit more expensive than I thought it would be but equally it is a wearable shade and a nice addition to my ‘light’ make up bag.

• euphie published 16/08/2017