Review of "Jeyes Fluid Freshbin Original"

published 03/05/2012 | derek-j-a
Member since : 26/04/2005
Thanks to everyone for reading/rating my reviews - I will always reciprocate as soon as I can. For those interested, I am very much into Zen, and my Zen blog is at.. http://zenthoughts-zen.blogspot.co.uk/
Pro Keep bins fresh and seagulls at bay
Cons None..
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Jeys Fluid A Powder for a Sweet Smelling Bin!"

When I lived in the city, there were wheely-bins provided to put out our general household rubbish, but since we've move to a more rural area, this is not the case.

Our council here insists on collecting our general household rubbish from the plastic black bin bags, to be left out the night before the early morning collection. Living in a coastal village, there are lots of seagulls and other animals like foxes who will rip open these bags at the mere whiff of anything edible. One day, I decided to place some domestic bleach in an empty plastic spray bottle and spray it on the inside and outside of the bag, but there were problems… I accidentally bleached my jeans and got some of the solution on to my hands, which was quite annoying, because I couldn't not wash the smell away at all and got unsurprisingly, quite a painful rash. I should have worn gloves I know, but for some reason, I had not even considered that. My wife said something like, "typical man!".. But… It did stop the birds and animals ripping the bags open though. Somebody once told me that birds don't have a sense of smell, or was it a sense of taste? Anyway, I don't somehow think that can be true.. But I digress…

One day, I met a neighbour whilst putting my bag at the top of the drive. I think he had seen me sweeping up my refuse a few times so I asked him if he had ever had problems with his bags being ripped open, as mine had seemed to be the only target.. "Jey's Fluid," he said.. I replied that I would have to get some. I felt a bit stupid because it wasn't as if I'd never heard of it but didn't know it came in spray bottles, but as I soon found out, that wasn't the case at all.

On my next visit to Tesco, I noticed that it wasn't a fluid, as I had expected, but was a powder, especially to freshen up bins.. So I purchased some. This is ideal I thought, better than messing about with fluids that would probably leak out of the bag making a B-line for my clothing! On the following night before bin collections I sprinkled some of the powder into the bin bag - sort of like a big salt or pepper pot. It was just a small shake, so a little goes a long way. The smell coming from the bag - I use it like a liner to a standard size dustbin so that it's easier to drop things in it- almost immediately disappeared and it gave off this fresh disinfected aroma..

I thought the product was very reasonably priced (currently at £2.20 in Tesco), and I would say that I have used about half the container in the past couple of months.

I tend to get the standard smell, but Jeyes Fluid Freshbin to give the product it's correct name, comes in a lemon fragrance as well as the original. Next time I will try the lemon, I think. I also tend to sprinkle the powder in the bin underneath the bag and probably because there are small air-hole in the bag, the smell gets inside. And also I put a shake of the powder into my recycling boxes because plastic containers and empty tins that have contained mackerel that I like for lunch occasionally, never seem to get rid of the food smell, even when washed.. Now the pavement and road outside my driveway stays clean.

All in all, I have learned something new, that most will probably already realize. I vaguely remember my mother using Jeyes Fluid, but didn't take a lot of notice of general household tasks when I was growing up.

Thanks for reading.

• Amazingwoo published 12/07/2012
    Will have to get some of this as sometimes my wheeliebin smells like satan crept in there and broke wind.
  • RICHADA published 20/06/2012
    Bin bags were never a good idea here in Brighton for exactly the same reasons. Having gotten used to it, we actuially like our wheely bin - but it does pong a bit in the summer and here you offer us a solution! R.