Review of "Jim Dunlop USA Nylon picks"

published 05/08/2004 | Heidious
Member since : 23/01/2004
Pro Different thicknesses, durable
Cons Not found any yet

"It's The Little Things"

Ooo which one to choose.....

Ooo which one to choose.....

When it comes to little accessories I'm not an expert. I know what I like and that's good enough for me. However, in my (nearly) 4 years of guitar playing experience there has been one pick that has always held a special place in my heart.

I was never really too fussy about picks when I first started out. So long as I could play then it didn't really matter. But now I realise that my playing gets affected by different picks. I used a random selection of random choices, of which none of them really appealed to me. Some only came in one size, some where too big, some where too small, some didn't have any grip on them and some were just too brittle and broke easily.

So I was really pleased when I began purchasing JD USA's. Probably one of the best aspects of these particular picks is the variety of thickness they they come in, ranging from 0.38mm right up to 1.0mm. This allows for a greater audience of guitar players. Each size is also distinguishable from it's colour. It uses shades of grey to indicate the thickness. It goes from white (thinnest), to very light grey, light grey, standard grey, dark grey and finishing up with black (thickest). This makes it much easier to see which ones you are buying.

JD USAs are also very popular picks. They are readily available in most (if not all) guitar shops and are pretty cheap (around 40p each). And unlike other picks they are reliable and pretty much unbreakable, even the lightest ones, and are gripped in order to keep the pick in place.

So, whether you like thick chugging picks or light bendy picks, and want something reliable and long lasting Jim Dunlops USA Nylons are probably the best you will ever use. Try one today and see if your guitar playing improves.

• FlameDruid published 24/10/2004
    These were out in the seventies. In 1972 I'd be in the middle of a raging lead break in a band with everyone dancing and my plastic plecs would invariably start breaking into smaller and smaller bits. It was a desperate situation to be in during a number as I'm sure you'll appreciate! As soon as I changed to these Jim Dunlop plecs I realised that they absolutely do not break. That and the better feel have made them my favourite plec ever since. In fact, the only way to destroy them (as my daughter demonstrated annoyingly once about ten years back) is to bite them really hard! I have not idea - in short - why anyone would ever use any plectrum BUT a Jim Dunlop!
  • scousejoe published 05/08/2004
    don't really know anything about guitar picks but appreciate your enthusiasm. good review. mart.
  • critical_writer published 05/08/2004
    Though I don't play guitar, I have a close friend who does. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear about it. Good Review! cheers,