Job Centre

Job Centre

Review of "Job Centre"

published 22/06/2016 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro There are some that help if you get the right person.
Cons The staff can be rude and obnoxious.
Quality/Suitability of job offers
Office personnel/Consultants
Consultant feedback time
Range of prospective employers
Flexibility of office hours

"Sometimes it can be such a rigmarole!"

Quote from Mr Obama.

In my previous review, I told you about 1 of the employment websites I was registered with. When I was looking for work, I unfortunately had to sign on at my local Job Centre. I really didn't want to go down this route as I know how demoralising it can be. But at the time I had no option. When you first make a claim for Jobseekers Allowance, it's all done online through the official government website. A few days later you will receive a letter through the post informing you of your first initial appointment with an advisor at your local Job Centre Plus. When I first made a claim it was shortly after my husband had passed away, but with no money, I had little option. They advised me to go on the sick for a couple of months, which I did. When I went back after the 2 months were up, I was back under the Jobseekers Allowance claim. With this, there are certain rules and obligations you HAVE to undertake to search for work.

Nowadays, everything is electronic and done online. This makes looking for work a whole lot easier. Well, it does for me as I have a computer at home. At the start, I was sent to a local advice centre to get myself to get myself a CV done, as I didn't have one. I duely took this to the Job Centre on my next appointment, and she gave me a big list of websites I should check out, like employment agencies, recruitment website and the like. You are also given a number for the Universal Jobmatch website. On this website you are obliged to fill it in on a daily basis on what you are doing to look for work.
Your Obligations whilst claiming JSA

There are various benefits that people can claim which fall under the Job Centre Plus umbrella, but I am telling you about my own personal experience on Jobseekers Allowance. You must meet all the obligations that are given to you in the agreement which everyone signs for. If you fail at any time to meet these obligations, your money can and will get stopped for a certain amount of time.

You must be looking for work for at least 30 hours a week. You will also be given a number and a password (of your choice) for the Universal Jobmatch website. And on here, you must record everything - from jobs you have applied for, interviews you have had, CV's you have delivered or sent to possible employers, any speculative letters you have had etc. I have been sitting in the Job Centre and overheard conversations where people have had their knuckles wrapped for not filling in their Universal Jobmatch. Even things like filling in application forms, for instance:

• I spent 20 minutes filling in an application form.
  • I walked round town delivering CV's to shops
  • I searched recruitment websites for admin work.

Voluntary jobs are a bit of a hit and miss subject. Some advisors encourage you to do voluntary work as this helps with gaining skills etc. Others might tell you that this is stopping you from actively seeking employment. Either way, during my time of unemployment, I had 2 voluntary jobs which I used to duely record without fail. They were okay with this as both voluntary jobs were very different. One was working in a museum, and the other was working in a charity shop.

If the Job Centre tells you to partake in certain courses, or attend certain job fayres, you must go, no argument. Whether you want to do that job or not. They also put me on a 2 year job programme where I was sent to search for work - basically doing the same as what I do on my own computer. Thankfully I only had to attend there for about 3 months as I found work in the end.

So, what are the staff like?
Well, that all depends on who you get, I have found from experience. There have been a couple of times when the member of staff has been down right rude and obnoxious.

Him: You should have found a job by now.
Me: It's not through want of trying!

I walked out fuming, believe you me! Yes, they can be bloody rude and arrogant, and there have often been times when I have been spoken down to. It's no wonder, I thought, people feel so demoralized. But then other people have been polite and helpful. I realise they have a job to do, but common courtesy and good manners is always free.
My Thoughts

Of course, it's difficult for anyone to find a job, and a lot of these jobs you see advertised they have 100+ applicants. I understand it can be difficult, and I was lucky I landed a job when I did. I love my little job, and am glad I was given the opportunity. Quite frankly, I'm no better off IN work. In fact, I get slightly less cash in my pocket each month. BUT, I do have the satisfaction of not being under the Job Centre Plus now. Yes, some of the staff can be down right rude and unpleasant, and will make you do stuff you really don't want to do, but this is all down to the system and work pressure they are under. But, in all places, you will find 1 good apple amongst the rotten ones.

The Job Centre is only ever meant to be a temporary measure - to tide you over until you find work. We all know there's a lot of people who don't see it this way, but it's no good getting into the politics of all that here. My own personal experience with the Job Centre lasted about a year and I'm thankful I don't have to go there now. Yes, I did find it an unpleasant experience, but that's not to say it didn't help. There are aspects of the Job Centre experience which helped. I got myself a nice looking CV out of it and, ultimately, a job.

• IzzyS published 09/11/2017
    Good review.
  • Kadini published 05/07/2016
    vh review. Sorry to see you had to go down this route! I was on JSA 6 years ago for 6+ months and found it somewhat soul destroying, it looks like they've made it harder to be on JSA now too! I was actively discouraged form voluntary work and heavily penalised for some bank work I'd managed to secure, it was not a fun experience. My CV was butchered and full of spelling errors and sentences that made no sense after they finished with it. I was penalised for refusing to apply for a jobs that would have ended up with me taking out loans just to get to work (all £80pw apprenticeships in a city a train ride away where daily travel costs would be £10+ per day for train and bus). Horrid experience!
  • CelticSoulSister published 03/07/2016
    Must admit that my own limited experience of their staff was terrible....I was incensed by a young, very up herself woman who thought she ruled the world and everything in it. Brill review!

Product Information : Job Centre

Listed on Ciao since: 12/07/2006

Job Centre - Review - Sometimes it can be such a rigmarole!

CoffeeQue... 5

CoffeeQueen68

About me: I'm sad to hear the latest announcement from Ciao. I'm going to miss a lot of people. =(

Member since:08.01.2014

Sometimes it can be such a rigmarole!

22.06.2016

Advantages:
There are some that help if you get the right person .

Disadvantages:
The staff can be rude and obnoxious .

46 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. CelticSoulSister
  2. BlackSwan
  1. IzzyS
  2. diddldonna
  3. Kadini

Your Obligations whilst claiming JSA

• I spent 20 minutes filling in an application form.
  • I walked round town delivering CV's to shops
  • I searched recruitment websites for admin work.

So, what are the staff like?

Him: You should have found a job by now.
Me: It's not through want of trying!

My Thoughts

Pictures of Job Centre
Job Centre Being rude quote
Quote from Mr Obama.

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

IzzyS 09.11.2017 17:50

Good review.

Kadini 05.07.2016 11:36

vh review. Sorry to see you had to go down this route! I was on JSA 6 years ago for 6+ months and found it somewhat soul destroying, it looks like they've made it harder to be on JSA now too! I was actively discouraged form voluntary work and heavily penalised for some bank work I'd managed to secure, it was not a fun experience. My CV was butchered and full of spelling errors and sentences that made no sense after they finished with it. I was penalised for refusing to apply for a jobs that would have ended up with me taking out loans just to get to work (all 80pw apprenticeships in a city a train ride away where daily travel costs would be 10+ per day for train and bus). Horrid experience!

CelticSoulSister 03.07.2016 21:24