John Frieda Root Blur Colour Blending Concealer

John Frieda Root Blur Colour Blending Concealer

Review of "John Frieda Root Blur Colour Blending Concealer"

published 20/04/2016 | Harold41
Member since : 17/03/2016
Good
Pro Can make roots disappear
Cons A tad expensive for the amount of product in my opinion

"Root Blur more like Root Blurb"

John Frieda Root Blur

John Frieda Root Blur

Reason I bought

I feel like I have to divulge a secret here, I dont have natural blonde hair sshh now! I know it looks natural but that kind of natural costs a lot of money to up keep. I've been highlighting my hair for as long as I can remember I dont actually know what my natural colour is anymore. Remember those plastic caps with the holes & the crochet needle that stabbed you until almost passing out? Things sure have moved on now with the posh foils & the posh price too. Well my roots were starting to show and I didn't have the £100+ to have my hair done so I was slightly starting to panic when I saw an advert on TV for John Frieda Root Blur. I was amazed, I didn't know products like this existed. I had used John Frieda products before & loved them though they are a bit pricey I thought I'd have a look.

Price & availability

So off I trot very excitedly to my local Boots the chemist to have a look see. I found it on the aisle with the hair colours on a plinth reserved for special offers. The display I thought looked very classy. It was priced at £14.99 and there are 4 colour ways to choose from.
Platinum to soft gold
Honey to caramel
Amber to maple
Chestnut to maple
My local branch had testers of each product to try before you buy but no brush was supplied so I applied with my fingers, very very messy!
First impressions

The packaging is very classy, wrapped in black plastic sleeve with clear plastic panel to see colourways. It states John Frieda Root Blur clearly on the front with the colour tones on the bottom to match.
Once I removed the plastic there is a sturdy black matt finish box with John Frieda London Paris New York in matching black on the front.
On the back are the directions for the UK, France & The Netherlands
'Directions: Start with dry, styled hair. Blend colours together in the palette or apply one colour at a time. To achieve your best coverage, start with the darker shade and then lighten to your desired tone. Dab directly on to strands near the roots, avoiding the scalp. Apply powder to dark root regrowth at your parting, working from the root out. To extend highlights, use the pointed edge of the brush and follow existing highlight pattern. Colours stay fresh until next wash.'
On the long side of the box is an indent to make it easier to open.
Inside the compact there is a mirror fixed in place, a short sloped brush very like a thick eyeshadow brush & the duo colourway powder with a plastic cover which is removed to use.

How to use & results

So after reading the instructions a few times I headed to the bathroom to perform miracles. I followed the instructions to the letter, washing, drying and then straightening my hair & proceeded to apply the product. I chose the platinum to soft gold as it was the nearest shade to my 'natural' colour.
The product was easy to apply to my parting though trickier the further I went back. Once I'd finished I rushed out to show the family how clever I was, when my son said 'why is your hair stripey?' So maybe I'd over done it on my first go, I'd get the hang of it, right? Anywho I brushed my hair and that seems to move the powder around so it didn't look so tiger like and slept on it over night. The next morning it seemed less obvious and even less tiger like. In other words I felt that my roots had grown again overnight. So I applied the product again but with more of an all over colour look as opposed to definite stripes following my highlights & it brightened my hair up for the day.
Recommendations

I'm not sure I would recommend this product. I felt it was very pricey at £14.99 for the amount given 2.1g and the fact that I had to re apply the next morning means it wouldn't last very long. Having said that I checked out the boots website and its on offer at £9.99 at the moment so thats a better price for it. I also think that it may last longer/ look better on darker hair so I wouldn't totally rule it out for others.
For me I will wait til I have the money to go to the hairdresser and get the proper job done in the future.

• flaviamaria published 27/06/2016