Review of "John James Yarn Darners Needles"

published 21/02/2012 | brittle1906
Member since : 05/03/2005
Pro Good quality needles
Cons None in my opinion
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"A Stitch In Time With John James"

Review of John James Yarn Darners

~~What is a Yarn Darner?~~

Basically, Yarn Darners are a type of hand sewing needles. They are longer and thicker than normal sewing needles with long threading eyes which are used for spanning large holes during mending, using yarn or cotton and also for sewing up and darning in the loose ends on knitted or crochet work.

The John James Yarn Darners come in a packet containing 7 silver coloured sewing needles in sizes 14/18.

Size 14 75mm length x 2.03mm diameter
Size 15   69mm length x 1.83mm diameter
Size 16 66mm length x 1.63mm diameter
Size 17   63mm length x 1.42mm diameter
Size 18 60mm length x 1.27mm diameter

The needles are packaged in a very distinctive bright yellow and black cardboard case. The case has a see through plastic needle holder fitted to keep the needles secure. The actual needles sit in a white plastic holder, the sharp ends down facing, for reasons of safety. The strap line on the packaging states that these are 'Finest Quality Needles'.

John James is a trading name of Entaco, a company famous worldwide for the manufacture of specialised hand sewing needles and tools. The Entaco company is a privately owned British firm who are based in Redditch, Worcestershire. Redditch has been called the Needle Capital of the World.

The company produce a vast range of needles suited to many different crafts, from leather working through to cross stitch and embroidery.

~~Price and Availability~~

These needles are very reasonable in price, I believe I paid around £1 for this set from my local wool shop. The John James company also offer online ordering and their website currently offers these needles for 85p, plus P&P.

Their website is a fascinating one, it gives a really interesting glimpse into the history of needle manufacture in the UK.

~~My Thoughts and Conclusion~~

These needles are mainly used in my household for wool work. I enjoy knitting and these needles are perfect for my needs. There is one thing that annoys me about these needles, and that is that my 12 year old granddaughter finds it hilarious to keep saying "Yarn Darner" in a phoney American accent whenever she sees them in my work box!

I have used John James needles for many different craft projects over the years and have always found them to be of extremely good quality. The needles are very durable, they do not blunt easily and give years of service. I find these needles are easy to thread, even with the thickest ply yarns. They do not split the yarn on threading, as has happened on occasion with other needle brands I have used.

I fully appreciate that these needles would be of little interest to anyone who does not knit, crochet or enjoy craft work. Although this review is aimed at fairly limited audience, I feel it is good to hear of a British based company who are still going strong after a period spanning 300 years and still producing high quality goods at a sensible price.

To conclude, I would recommend John James Yarn Darners to anyone who has a need for this type of product.

©brittle1906 February 2012

N.B. My reviews may be found on other sites under the same user name.

• chrisandmark_is_here published 22/02/2012
    Nicely done. x
  • sweetybi published 21/02/2012
    I am terrible at knitting! They sound good though :)
  • Marge3781 published 21/02/2012

Listed on Ciao since: 16/02/2012

John James Yarn Darners Needles - Review - A Stitch In Time With John James

brittle19... 5

brittle1906

About me: Logged in to the sad news that Ciao is going down the same route as Dooyoo did. A great shame, goodbye and thanks for all the rates. I've made some really good friends through this site.......... , .

Member since:05.03.2005

A Stitch In Time With John James

21.02.2012

Advantages:
Good quality needles

Disadvantages:
None in my opinion

Performance

2. MrsW2011
  3. Ri0TT

Review of John James Yarn Darners

~~What is a Yarn Darner?~~

The John James Yarn Darners come in a packet containing 7 silver coloured sewing needles in sizes14/18.

Size 14 75mm length x 2.03mm diameter
Size 15 69mm length x 1.83mm diameter
Size 16 66mm length x 1.63mm diameter
Size 17 63mm length x 1.42mm diameter
Size 18 60mm length x 1.27mm diameter

John James is a trading name ofEntaco, a company famous worldwide for the manufacture of specialisedhand sewing needlesand tools. The Entaco company is a privately owned British firm who are based in Redditch, Worcestershire. Redditch has been called the Needle Capital of the World.

~~Price and Availability~~

These needles are very reasonable in price, I believe I paid around 1 for this set from my local wool shop. The John James company also offer online ordering and their website currently offers these needles for 85p, plus P&P.

~~My Thoughts and Conclusion~~

brittle1906 February 2012

N.B. My reviews may be found on other sites under the same user name.

Pictures of John James Yarn Darners Needles
John James Yarn Darners Needles DSCN5024 - John James Yarn Darners Needles
John James Yarn Darners Needles

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

chrisandmark_is_here 22.02.2012 21:46

Nicely done. x

sweetybi 21.02.2012 16:30

I am terrible at knitting! They sound good though :)

Marge3781 21.02.2012 15:17