Review of "John Lewis Anna Drop-Side Cot"

published 11/06/2008 | mummy2harry
Member since : 12/04/2007
YAY I am finally silver! Wooo! Like books? Check out http://chicklitchloe.blogspot.com...
Pro Good price, great quality, lovely finish
Cons Nothing
Mattress Base
Ease of cleaning
Cot Sides
Teething Rails

"Sleeping like a Baby!"

The cot in a Honey Finish

The cot in a Honey Finish

When I first found out I was pregnant back in 2005, my partner and I sat and made a list of things that we had to buy which were necessities and couldn't wait. These things included a pushchair, bottles, nappies, clothes and of course a cot. We didn't have a clue what we were looking for so spent a day browsing baby shops with my parents. I just couldn't find one I loved and was feeling a bit exasperated until we went into John Lewis and I set eyes on this Anna cot. I loved it, and I knew that was what I wanted for unborn baby boy!

As soon as I walked into the baby department in John Lewis, Reading, this was the first cot on display. It was a gorgeos honey colour with some matching furniture around it. But it was so lovely looking, a classic design with a nice drop-side feature. A drop-side feature was a must have for me as I'm only 4' 6'' and I had to be able to lean over safely to put my baby in and out! So I tested it out, leaning over (Despite a big bump being in the way!) I found it was fine for me and so we decided we would purchase that cot. The cot was marked up at a very reasonable £100 and my lovely nan and Grandad called to say they would like to buy us the cot, so we placed the order with John Lewis there and then!

Now to the cot itself. The cot is part of the Anna set of baby furniture available only from John Lewis. The cot is available in both Honey and White, but I decided the honey was more practical and I just loved the look of it. The cot is made from solid birch wood with the honey finish. The look of the cot is very classic. It has slatted wooden sides, one of which is a drop side, and the 2 ends are also slatted with arched tops. The base on which the mattress sits is also slatted wood and nice and sturdy and for us has shown no signs of wear and tear at all.

Assembly of the cot is very simply. The cot came delivered to us in a flat pack style in a large cardboard box. The instructions were simple and easy to follow. All nuts, screws and bolts were provided in a sealable plastic bag so they were nice and safe. You have make the frame of the cot first of all, ensuring that you fix the drop-side box onto the correct side of the cot. One of the side panels has a cut out bit at the bottom where the box sits, and its easily screwed on. The drop-side can be put on whichever side of the cot you need. The sides slide up the grooves in the end panels, and then screw into place. For the drop side, you can screw it on if you don't want to usethe drop, but otherwise, don't screw this in place, just let it rest on top of the box you've fixed on.

After assembling the main frame, you just need to lower the slatted base into place. This has 4 pegs-like fixings, so you lower it down and push until they click into place. Simple! The cot has 3 base settings for your convenience. The lowest is shown in the picture from Ciao, there is a medium setting around halfway up the cot and finally a top level setting, which you can see in the picture I have uploaded, Harry is laying in the top level there. As your baby grows, you'll need to move it down for safety reasons, and this is easy. Simply pull up the base, move the pegs down to the next notch and then put the base back in. We found once Harry was sitting, we moved it to the bottom as it was safer. The drop side allowed me to still lay him in at night and see to him easily.

The drop side works really easily. It is a wedge of wood fastened to the side panel of the cot. It operates with one foot. You just push the wooden panel in towards the cot, support the top of the side with your hand and allow the side to drop to the floor. When you are finished, simply hold the top of the side and pull upwards until you hear the wood click where the side has gone above the box. Easy peasy, and easy to do one handed as well, which I found handy when I had a sleeping Harry in my arms late at night after a feed! This is definitely the best feature of the cot in my opinion, I couldn't have done without it and its so simple to use.

The cot doesn't come with a mattress so you will need to purchase this seperately. The size of mattress you will need to buy is L120 x W60cm, and I got mine from John Lewis, as I was guaranteed it would fit the cot. We purchased a spring mattress for around £69 which has lasted so well. It fitted perfectly and was nice and lightweight. The dimensions of the cot itself is L125 x W68.5 x H90cm so it is a nice spacious cot. We moved Harry to a bed just before his second birthday, and he still had plenty of room in his cot even then, so it does last a long time.

The cot has worn really well with time. The only marks on it are Harry's teeth marks from when he was teething and bored, but these aren't too bad. Other than that, there aren't any other problems with the cot. The drop side still functions just as well as the day we put it together, and all the pieces are intact and have no cracks or other markings. It's a superb cot, which is sturdy and well put together, and for a fantastic price as well. It is available in 2 colours, white and honey, from John Lewis stores or on their website, www.johnlewis.com. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality cot, and we will be using for any future babies we might have!

Thank you for reading.

This review was read 2086 times and was rated at

• oxonian published 16/06/2008
    Really great review, lovely pictures too
  • MarcoG published 12/06/2008
    Great review as always :)
  • kezziefaerie published 12/06/2008
    E review, am going to be first time mum in Oct. love your reviews, have added you to my COT