Review of "Johnson's Baby Shampoo"

published 30/01/2005 | jens25
Member since : 20/07/2004
Pro No more tears fomular, suitable for all ages
Cons None

"The Shampoo for all ages"

****What is it****

Johnson’s baby shampoo is a shampoo that is suitable not only for little ones but for all the family. Usually just my son (he is 18 months old) uses this but for the purpose of this review myself and my husband have also washed our hair with this shampoo so that we can give our opinions as well. It can also be used to clean babies scalps – especially if they are suffering with cradle cap.

The bottle is clear with a yellow lid and there is a tear shaped label on the front with the wording Johnson’s baby shampoo, best ever softness and no more tears. The label is double sided so if you look through the other side of the bottle you will see the instructions for how to use. The actual shampoo is a lemon colour and is quite transparent. The shampoo has a refreshing clean baby smell to it.

****How to use it****

The lid has a flip top to open. First wet your hair, then you pour the shampoo into the palm of your hand and rub into your hair and scalp. I have quite long hair and I find that an amount about the same size as a £2 coin is sufficient. Rinse the shampoo out with water.

For my son I wash his hair in the bath, I just wet his hair with his toy watering can making it part of a game, or by squeezing out a sponge of water over his head. I find that I need very little shampoo on his hair – about the size of a 5p. When rinsing the shampoo out the foam always goes into his eyes and he has never been bothering by this.

****Results****

Me – I was a bit concerned about using this shampoo as I do suffer with quite greasy hair and I was worried that I would have to wash my hair more often, but I didn’t. It left my hair feeling really soft and with a lovely smell.

My husband – He can’t use my usual shampoos as he finds them too strong for his hair, he says that this one was just right.

Louis – I started using this when Louis was about 12 months old, he didn’t have that much hair and until this time I had just been washing it in the bath water. I wish that I had tried this sooner as within two weeks his cradle cap had gone completely. Now his hair is longer and curly and this shampoo leaves it soft with little curls not frizz and it smells great.

****Is it suitable for Sensitive Skin?****

As I mentioned previously the foam from this product gets into my sons eyes every time we wash his hair (this isn’t intentional!) and his eyes have never been irritated. It works well to get rid of cradle cap (this is crusty patches on a baby’s scalp). The Johnson’s website says that if your baby is suffering from cradle cap to wash their hair in this shampoo then comb out gently.

****Cost and Where to Buy It****

Johnson’s baby shampoo is available to buy in most supermarkets and chemists. The prices that I am using are coming from the Tesco website www.tesco.com and the prices are as of 30.01.05. I am using the price of the Tesco own brand product as a comparison.

Johnsons Baby Shampoo 300ml - £1.84
Johnsons Baby Shampoo 500ml - £1.94
Tesco My Baby Shampoo 500ml - £1.56

As you can see the Tesco own brand is cheaper, and it works out better value for money if you buy the bigger size Johnson’s Baby Shampoo to the smaller one. I bought my bottle when it was on offer for buy one get one free and it works out a lot cheaper this way. I haven’t tried the Tesco version but if anyone else has please let me know how you got on with it.

Although I am not covering them, you can also buy Johnsons Baby Shampoo with Natural Lavender, Baby Shampoo with Detangling Formula, Baby Shampoo Moisturising Formula with Honey and Vitamin E, Softwash Baby Shampoo and Baby Shampoo with Natural Chamomile – what a choice!

****Best Bits****

The baby soft smell – on an adult or a baby!

The fact that you can use this shampoo for all ages.

This shampoo lasts for ages, I have been using it every other night on my son’s hair for the past 6 months and I’m not even half way through the bottle.

Mild enough to use every day.

Rinses out easily so does not leave hair with residues.

PH Balanced.

No more tears formular.

****Negative Points****

None, apart from it makes the bubbles disappear in the bath – but this is the same with any shampoo.

****Caution****

Keep out of children’s reach.

****Ingredients****

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, Yellow 10 and Orange 4.

****Contact Details****

www.johnsonbaby.com there is a form to fill out on this site should you have a question.

Thank you for reading my review, I think that I have covered all points, but if you have any questions – please ask.

Jens x

• thomlafferty published 20/04/2005
    What a review! I think the idea of testing the product on your family for the purposes of the review is brilliant! The way you approach it is something of a science experiment! Excellent stuff, well worthy of an E. thom
  • vickiuk published 14/04/2005
    I use this on my son and sometimes on my hair too, great review. Vicki :o)
  • Kerpots published 06/04/2005
    Thankfully this is perfect for Amber's skin/hair, I love it and the smell! Great op. Kerpots x