Nar2 2

Nar2

About me: Ty for all r/r/c's, kind words and E's where applicable. Bear in mind being a Ciao member means you are reading and rating opinions from members, NOT the products themselves.

Member since:26.05.2011

Video reviews:13

Honey, I Dried Out The Baby!

05.05.2012

Advantages:
Paraben free, Nice scent, nice concept .

Disadvantages:
Leaves skin very dry like traditional soap, can be pricey, J&J UK don't list it on their website .

Safety

Ease of cleaning

27 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheGoodSurveyer
  1. Amazingwoo
  2. catsholiday
  3. dawnymarie

It has been a tough year financially for most people this year and my money has been going on the strictest of products, putting the home’s need first rather than my own. It may sound courteous but it an essential since the bad weather ripped off bits of my home and dealing with insurance claims and general DIY to upkeep if we do get similar weather again! Outwith the luxury of several bath and shower products I received for Christmas, I have been trying to get through bath and shower products that I already own, rather than needlessly buying in more stock. This is easy, if like me you shop and buy products in bulk and save them for when you require them; only left with the surplus supply of soaps and gels that you’ve either discovered you didn’t like but won’t waste, or products that are worth keeping but are too expensive to use all of the time.

The Product, The Promise & The Price

A couple of months ago then, I had bought Johnsons & Johnsons Baby soap with honey in lieu of my budget favourite, Knight’s Castile soap, a product that I like from time to time because it is gentle, makes me feel clean and because it is cheap. When I eventually found Knight’s Castile soap, it was only available in separated single soaps rather than the better value packs I usually buy it in. Where it usually stocked in my local Semi-Chem, I found Johnsons & Johnsons baby soap with honey and baby lotion, priced at £3-79 for four 100gram individual soap bars. The friend I was with also took the same product to use in her nursery school and a month later informed me that the product has been replaced with a yellow package that just states "with honey." Maybe I was lucky! Other prices exist at Tesco & ASDA, both priced at £1-50 for the same 4 pack whilst Boots charge £2-25, making my purchase the most expensive at a thrift pharmacy who are usually cheaper than the supermarkets - but then they have the new newer yellow pack compared to the older stock pink pack I bought.

Whether you like the idea of honey in body wash products, in the last couple of years I’ve become wizened to the properties of Manuka honey and honey in general. Honey as a skin additive gives a lovely smooth condition to either just washed skin or used in a moisturiser, similar to the Glycerine content you can find in other products. Manuka honey on the other hand gives you an added antibacterial property and an instant healing process to minor open wounds. Both are natural, so both should be able to deliver. At the time of purchase whilst scrutinising other brands of soap, it was the “added honey” promise on the pastel pink packaging that actually made me grab the pack.

Scent

There is the lovely familiar scent of Johnsons & Johnsons original baby soap here, quite talcum powder like to the nose but the additional honey and promise of the added moisturiser adds a different twist to the original scent. Whereas the original smells very little else apart from talcum powder and light mixed flowers, the honey additive seems to lift the original formula, closer to an understated Indian smell of original sandalwood soap. Not to be confused with Cussons Imperial Leather, which has a far more fragrant appeal, there’s a good balance of flowers, talcum powder and ever so light tones of woods and pines.

Performance

Unlike the packaging, the soap is slightly off-white in colour, has the trademark and name embossed on the top surface of the bar and once it is used under a flowing tap or shower, this soap seems to produce a beautiful lather that feels luxuriously smooth and airy when applied to the body. It doesn’t seem to take long for me to breathe in the understated scent though and the shower room becomes lightly perfumed with the gentle scent. Later on as I turn up the heat of the water in the shower and the main perfume begins to settle, there is an ever-so-detectable scent of carbolic perfume – but it isn’t very noticeable unless you wash with hotter water.

Throughout washing with this soap though, I find my skin feels very smooth and supple under the water and the skin seems to glow or shine off the light. It is quite a luxurious experience then when in use and the soap is very easy to rinse off skin when generally cleaning. Thereafter I’m left feeling clean and my skin has the tinniest hint of the fragrance on offer.

Downsides

When I towelled down, my skin wasn’t very well moisturised. Infact, it was really quite rough to the touch. Johnsons & Johnsons may well claim that this soap has added moisturiser, but I found even with the added promise of honey, this soap isn’t really one to depend on when it comes to soft skin thereafter. It may work on babies, but it didn’t work on me.

Final Thoughts

In some ways, Johnsons & Johnsons Baby soap with honey and added moisturiser looks like a really good deal at the time. When you consider that there are two other products available, not just the original but also with honey added in the yellow pack and this product, the largely good value promise of even another additive added to the original formula.

However, I feel let down by Johnsons & Johnsons baby soap product. Yes, it is a well-trusted company backed by a great reputation that goes as far back as 1886. Leaving skin as dry as sand paper however isn’t my idea of being moisturised and I'd have thought there could be more quality to this product when it comes to rinsing and towelling down. Thanks for reading. ©Nar2 2012

www.johnsonsbaby.co.uk

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this review’s content

mozzie76 06.05.2012 01:19

Good review

randy_edith 06.05.2012 00:12

I didn't know this had no parabens in it , I do like the smell

pgn0 06.05.2012 00:10

Dry as a bone, rough as sand-paper - ouch!