Johnsons Baby Shampoo

Johnsons Baby Shampoo

Review of "Johnsons Baby Shampoo"

published 20/07/2015 | sandemp
Member since : 21/10/2002
Mum to four adult children and two little monsters. A very special and different six year old and cleverclogs of a two year old. Starting a series of weight loss themed reviews.
Pro Smells great
Cons Chemicals, allergic reaction
How gentle is it?
Fragrance
How easily is it absorbed?
Does the product work?

"Not As Gentle As They'd Like You To Believe"

Johnson's Baby Shampoo, you'd think it's one of the gentlest shampoos on the market, wouldn't you? After all they make it for the most delicate of skins, for brand new hair on our brand new babies. It even says “no more tears” on the bottle, it wouldn't say that if it wasn't gentle would it?

Well there was a time when I was a sucker for Johnson's Baby products, the scent alone screams Baby and I used to love nuzzling in to my baby's freshly washed hair. Then I read the ingredient list, have you ever read the ingredient list on a bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo? It's scary reading, with lots of chemicals, it may be Paraben and soap free, but we still have Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS), a known irritant in the mix along with the unquantifiable parfum.

When pregnant with Freddy I made the concious decision to avoid chemicals such as SLS and so avoided Johnson's Baby Shampoo, but Nanna was so excited at the imminent arrival of her first grandchild, had built up a hamper of baby products, almost exclusively from Johnson's including this shampoo.

Eventually there came a time when there was no other baby shampoo open and Daddy decided to try the Johnson's on the then ten month old Freddy, big mistake. Johnson's Baby Shampoo is a very runny, golden liquid, that is easily dispensed through the flip top lid. In fact it runs too freely, I would always recommend pouring this in to your hand and then work it through the hair as it's all too easy to pour at least twice as much as needed. Once in the hair it foams readily, forming numerous tiny, tight knit bubbles on baby's scalp and it rinses out quite easily too, as long as you don't use too much. I'm not 100% sure on the “no more tears” claim, that's a claim they've been making for well over twenty years, and six children on and I still refuse to pour it in their eyes, just to see if they cry. Anyway it's always being water getting in my eyes that's stung, let alone shampoo.

After drying Freddy's hair was clean, silky soft and delightfully scented with the scent of baby. But his scalp started to look a little pink, then a little pinker, then the rash started developing and before I knew it Freddy was in the middle of an eczema flare-up. Needless to say that was the last time that we used Johnson's Baby Shampoo on Freddy, well it was a long time until we tried it again. The rest of that bottle was used by the adults, and it was OK, nothing special, certainly not luxurious, but better than nothing.

We recently tried Johnson's Baby Shampoo again, we somehow managed to get a sample sent to us for some reason. I wasn't sure about using it, but twenty month old Jake doesn't have particularly sensitive skin, so I gave it a go. It was as easy to use as ever, it cleaned Jake's hair and left his curls soft and manageable, but it also turned his scalp slightly pink. I didn't even finish using the small bottle, throwing it out instead.

So am I recommending Johnson's Baby Shampoo? Not really, it's rather over-rated and no where nearly as gentle as it would have you believe. A little searching online will reveal much gentler products, with fewer chemicals for not that much more than Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

*Ingredients

.[FPT-0859] Aqua, Coco-Glucoside, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum, CI 15985, CI 47005. Soap free, Paraben free.

• river61 published 28/07/2015
    vh - useful to know!
  • wazza115 published 27/07/2015
    vh
  • SirJoseph published 23/07/2015
    vh

Product Information : Johnsons Baby Shampoo

JOHNSON'S knows bathtime is a special time to share with your baby, and when the two of you are bonding, there's no room for tears. Features: Our classic NO MORE TEARS formula rinses quickly and easily. Leaves hair smelling fresh, and looking beautifully healthy and shiny. Soap free, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist tested.

Brand Manufacturer: Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies Inc.

Long Name: Baby Shampoo

Type: Shampoo

Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, Yellow 10 and Orange 4. May also contain: Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide.

Manufacturer: Johnsons