Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo

Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo

Baby Haircare

Review of "Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo"

published 03/08/2002 | aliclarkson
Member since : 02/09/2001
Satisfactory
Pro It was free
Cons I have loads of the stuff left

"A Myriad of Tears Before Bedtime"

Now the burning question for me is not “What is the meaning of life?”, nor is it “Why are 3 for 2 offers always on products you take ages to use anyway?” but, “What does ‘no more tears’ really mean?”

I have been using Johnsons baby shampoo for 15 months now for washing my daughters hair. Now, she’s always been a grumpy little baby in the bath, and especially when I wash her hair, when the tears would flow readily. I just put this down to the fact that she doesn’t like her hair being washed, and nothing to do with anything else. I have now discovered the real reason for her tears and it is this - after her hair has been washed – it looks c**p and SHE knows it!

I discovered this astonishing revelation a couple of weeks ago when we all went on holiday. To save space in the suitcase, I just took one of everything that we could all use, ie. soap, shampoo, and so the Johnsons baby shampoo was packed for us all.

Whenever I have washed her hair before, when it has dried, it always looks – well, not quite clean. I, again put this down to her being a very warm baby, and her head, more often that not is, well, sweaty. So I think you know the look I mean (rat’s tail effect, for those of you who don’t). When I came to wash my own hair on holiday, it just didn’t feel right on the first rinse – it still felt ‘acky’. So I gave it a second go. At this point I would also like to mention that it did not lather up particularly much. I could have accepted this to a degree for the first application, but not for the second. I rinsed the shampoo off, and again it felt there was something missing. Now all this could have been due to a couple of contributory factors. Namely:

 We were at the seaside – the sun, sand and sea air does strange things to the hair.
 We were in a slightly hard water area – back home, we aren’t.

When my hair dried, it felt brittle and had the texture and appearance of straw. This may have been because I had forgotten to condition it, so I was still willing to assume it was my carelessness, or forgetfulness – call it what you will – and not the fault of Johnson & Johnson. I mean, when all said and done, how could it be? Johnson & Johnson are a well-known, and well-respected company throughout the world. Therefore, it must be me!

My partner always has beautiful hair when it is new washed (without conditioning it) and even he commented on how rubbish his hair felt and looked.

The next time I used it, whilst we were still at the seaside, I used 2 applications, and I conditioned it. This time it felt much better, more silky-smooth. When I came to dry my air, however, it was awful! Gone was the straw, brittle texture – it had been replaced by a chip pan, rats tail appearance. It just wouldn’t fluff up – it stuck firmly to my head and resembled something like a swimming cap with a fringe! I was not happy. Luckily, we were only going to be there for another couple of days, and for much of the time, we experienced quite a few downpours, so everyone on holiday had bad hair days and I didn’t feel so conspicuous.

Not willing to ‘dis’ the shampoo however, because of the contributory factors I mentioned earlier, I thought I would give it one last try when I got home. I am familiar with my own water, and how my hair should looked when it is new washed, so I tried the shampoo in a proper investigative way – I washed my hair on 2 separate occasions once with and once without conditioner. The results? Well for the time I washed it with, my hair again was brittle, but not strawlike this time. No, it was more dried grass like! The second experimental wash – my hair clung to my head and refused to budge!

So in conclusion, my little girl cries every time I use this shampoo on her. This is not because it stings or irritates her eyes (the plus side which I assume is the flaky reasoning behind their ‘no more tears’ claim) but because she knows that she is going to be out and about with rubbish hair! Anyway, we’re gonna have ‘lots more tears’ for a while yet, because I’ve still got buckets of the stuff left to get through! Oh and one more positive aspect to this product – it does smell nice and lemony fresh!

Now for the technical stuff or in layman’s terms, the ingredients:

Aqua, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, PEG 150 Dsitearate, Laurel Betaine, Polyquaternium-10, Quaternium-15, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Parfum, C.I. 47005, C.I. 15985.

I have had to check up on the price of this product, as I have never bought it (and never will). There must have been a 2 for 1 offer on at Boots or wherever, when my daughter was born. My friends, and many of my relatives, all saw fit to buy us gifts consisting of 2 bottles of the shampoo, along with 2 tubs of talc, a flannel, and so on. So the price at Asda (this morning) for a 300ml bottle is £1.89.

• penguinchickalata published 19/06/2003
    i use the original johnsons baby shampoo and it is really good and i had considered buying this next time but i won't bother now thanks!!!
  • GentleGiant published 15/12/2002
    Well done! Matthew
  • BeeHappy published 11/11/2002
    I use Johnsons products on occassions not tried this one, have used the other shampoo but did not like the result, dry hair, I found that Wella Lifetex childrens shampoo is brilliant, used for the last 18 months, strawberry flavour smells yummy, but has something in the shampoo to make is taste awful not tempted to swallow it, leaves my little girls hair, shiny, no tangles, looks lovely everytime.... alas this has now been discontinued as they are bringing out a new range soon :) (last bottle lasted over 12 months)