Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo

Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo

Baby Haircare

Review of "Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo"

published 20/05/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Smell, cleanses well, gentle, affordable, easily available
Cons None
How gentle is it?
Fragrance
How easily is it absorbed?
Does the product work?

"Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo"

I've been using the no more tears baby shampoo by Johnson's from day one since my daughter Erin was born. I haven't once used another brand of shampoo on my baby as I've been really pleased with how gentle and effective this is. I stocked up on ten bottles of this shampoo earlier in the year while I was still pregnant as the whole Johnson's range was on offer at the time in my local Tesco's. Although I was tempted to buy the Tesco's own brand of baby shampoo as it was cheaper, I opted for Johnson's as I feel that it is a very well known, trust worthy and high quality brand which has been around for years. I was a little overwhelmed at first by the sheer amount of choice I had - you'd think baby shampoo would be a simple enough product with just one or perhaps two versions to choose from, but nope - there's everything from scented and nourishing to detangling shampoo - pretty confusing when you're a first time mummy and want the best for baby but there's so many different claims from manufacturers that you don't know what is best. After a browse I decided on this, as it seemed to be the most gentle and it is also suitable for newborns.

I paid just £1 per 330ml bottle of the shampoo as it was on offer, and I am really pleased that I stocked up while it was reduced as the RRP is around the £1.95 to £2 mark, which soon adds up. As far as I know, most (if not all) supermarkets sell this shampoo and it can be found pretty easily online too on sites such as Amazon. I've also seen it in vairous other shops including Boots and Superdrug, so it's very easy to get hold of. This shampoo appealed to me mainly because of the 'no more tears' claim - it is designed to be very gentle not only on the baby's hair, scalp and skin but it is also tested to make sure that if it does come into contatct with the baby's eyes it will not burn or cause pain, hence why Johnson's describe it as being as 'gentle as pure water'. They claim that they have tested this against other brands of baby shampoo who market the product as been gentle, but Johnson's state that unlike their product, they always find faults.

The shampoo has a mild formula and is said to be ideal for cleansing baby's delicate hair and scalp. The shampoo comes in a decent sized bottle which is transparent, which I find very handy. As the bottle is clear, the yellow liquid can be seen through the bottle and the branding on the bottle is also yellow with blue font stating the brand and product name. A pictre of a tear drop is also included but all in all the branding is simplistic, unisex and it is also quite eye catching so it is easy to spot in the supermarket. The bottle has a flip lid which ensures not too much of the shampoo comes out at once. I find that while I am bathing my daughter the bottle is too heavy to hold and squeeze with one hand so I usually squeeze a blob into a small container so that I'm not struggling with baby in one hand and shampoo bottle in the other. The shampoo itself is a pale yellow colour and it has a noticeable smell once the bottle is open.

The scent is gentle and very fresh with the lovely talc kind of scent which makes it smell like a baby product. As my daughter has mounds of gorgeous dark hair, I wanted something that would leave it smelling fresh as well as cleansing it so this was ideal. The consistency of this is a lot thinner and runnier than normal shampoo, but it's not so runny that it's hard to use. I only need a 5 pence piece sized blob to completely cover my baby's hair as it lathers well and a little goes a long way. The shampoo comes out of my daughters hair easily and leaves no residue etc behind. Her hair always feels soft and cleansed and it smells lovely too. There's been no issues with sensetivity and although it has never made contact with her eyes (so far) it seems to be gentle enough and theres been no reactions on her skin or scalp.

The cleansing effect of the shampoo lasts for ages, as does the smell and I only need to wash her hair when I feel it is nescessary - at the minute I bathe her everyday but wash her hair once every two days. Once I begin weaning though I imagine I will need to wash it a lot more frequently as I have a horrible feeling she'll end up with blobs of food in her hair haha. Her hair doesn't knot much at all luckily so I can't comment at how well this is at getting knots out but I am overall happy with how effective it is and I reccomend it.

• Mac83 published 28/05/2012
    E rev
  • anonymili published 25/05/2012
    I've been advised by my eye doctor to use this as a regular cleanser for my eyelashes/eyebrows. Apparently it's recommended for good eye hygiene for adults (as well as its normal use for babies)...
  • jo-1976 published 24/05/2012
    I love the smell of this x