Buggy

Review of "Joie Chrome Plus Pushchair"

published 01/08/2017 | Angel19819
Member since : 24/09/2015
Got a lot of catching up too do, but will try and get around to rating everyone's new posts, Its a shame you only get so many exceptional rates per day, so many great reviews lately.
Pro large shopping basket, easy to steer, 5 point harness system, stylish, sturdy, cheap.
Cons foot-muff detaches to easily, large back axle.
Storage
Ease of cleaning
Safety
Age Group

"It's a Joie ride"

Joie Chrome Plus Pushchair

Upon receiving the news that I was pregnant with Scarlett, I knew I had a lot of shopping to do before she was due, 9 months might seem like a long time but believe me, it goes by so quickly.
I can't believe she is 10 months old already! Where does the time go?

Shopping around for baby bits all adds up (they need so many things). One of the biggest, and possibly the most expensive items to get is a pram. Buying a pram can be a daunting experience, there are so many types, sizes, brands and models to choose from not forgetting the cost.

I did a lot of research into prams before I bought a Joie Chrome Plus, it wasn't at the top of my list but after summing up the pros and cons of all the different models I finally went with Joie and I am so happy I did (keep reading to find out why)!

As well as doing my own research, I also received a lot of advice from family members and friends who have all had babies. My sister was the one who offered the most help. She has three boys of various ages. She has also tried many models of prams, her favourite being Bugaboo.

Some of the stores I visited to view and test prams were Mothercare, Babies-R-Us and many more. Just looking at pictures and reading reviews didn't give me enough of an idea of what to buy.

The top 3 brands I initially chose were:

Icandy
Silver Cross
Bugaboo.

Icandy looked elegant and robust, Personally for me, I found it to be a little heavy and the price tag was too high.

Silver Cross was the cheapest option of the three, but still more expensive than my Joie (the Silver Cross from Mothercare was on special offer, which almost enticed me to buy it).

Bugaboo Cameleon 3 was the most expensive costing over £1000 with the added extras needed.

I found it so hard to choose a pram, but in the end I couldn't justify spending nearly £1000. So after more extensive research I decided to buy the Joie Chrome Plus.

Also I own a Joie car seat which I purchased before my pram.

I purchased my pram from Kiddies Kingdom for £299 (this included a free carrycot)

Joie are a UK based company, a newish brand, but not a new company, they have been manufacturing for other brands for sometime from what I have been able to find out. They specialise in pushchairs, car seats, high chairs and travel cots. Because they manufacture themselves, their products are a better price than most similar items.

The Joie Chrome Plus has a few attachments/accessories available, many of them are included in the box.

As I already owned a Joie car seat, I didn't need the offer with a Joie Gemm car seat. So I decided to get a Joie carrycot with my pram.

There several colour schemes available but red being my favourite colour and with my daughter being called Scarlett I chose the red colour pack. Unlike some other brands you get to choose the colour of your pram without buying a colour pack, another cost saving.

As mentioned before you can get a carrycot and a car seat to attach to the main pram all at the click of a button (keep reading for more info).

The pram is classed as a 3 in 1 travel system so if you buy all the matching parts you could have a complete baby travel package all in one at not a bad price at all.

For a travel system that costs less than all the other well known brands it looks and plays the part of one of the more expensive brands.

The pram is a nice size and weighs just under 10 kg. I have a Peugeot 208 and have no problems at all lifting it in and out of the boot. If you have an estate car the pram will fit with no problems at all, but if you are like me and seem to have a very tiny boot the pram will not fit fully constructed. I had to take off the back wheels to make it fit. If I have a lot of shopping I also take off the front wheels to make it sit flatter in my boot. For me this isn't much of a problem because the wheels clip off so easily with the push of a button and clip back into place with ease.

The pram has two large detachable back wheels and two swivel front wheels, again detachable and lockable (I have never needed to use the front brakes). The wheels are very solid, not air filled, so no worries about getting any punctures.

The frame is painted in a nice glossy black (there is also a silver frame available as well) and accompanied by the red colour pack it looks really classy. The frame feels well constructed and sturdy with all of the buttons and levers easily accessible.

Underneath the main seat is a very large shopping basket, the biggest one I have seen on any of the prams I have viewed and can be accessed with ease from the front or back which ever way you have the seat facing. That's right, you can have your baby/child facing forward or reverse the seat to face you. I have found the basket fits more shopping under if you have the seat forward facing.

The back bar of the pram (the main chassis of the back wheels) has a foot brake which is quite large and easily pushed down with one foot, when you need to get the pram up onto a pavement or a low step, I find it easier to put my foot on this bar to lift the pram up (be careful not to put your foot on the brake as it's easily done).

The main seat is fully detachable just by pulling two buttons either side of the seat. It's so easy to change to the part you want to use. You can use the main seat for a newborn (I used a carrycot until my daughter was five months old, by this time she had grown out of it) just by reclining to its lowest position. The seat has several recline positions from bolt upright to nearly flat, it is so easy to change positions even with your baby/child strapped in, it's another button hidden behind the backrest/hood.

The seat also has an adjustable calf rest so when your child gets bigger they can sit up fully in comfort, also there is a fixed foot rest so they can use it as a step to get into the buggy with ease and not always have their legs hanging in mid air all the time.
The seat is very well padded and looks very comfortable, my daughter always seems happy when she is in the buggy and has no problems falling asleep.

To fasten your child/baby safely, they have used a very safe five point harness system which will keep you little ones strapped in secure but also give them plenty of freedom. As they grow you can adjust the shoulder straps and the groin strap, they have also provided padding to protect them.

At the back of the main seat is a foldable hood, this can be used as a sun shield or as a rain hood. It can also be expanded using a zip to cover your baby/child fully from the weather. I wouldn't recommend using it as a rain hood when it's raining cats and dogs because it's not waterproof. The product also comes with a full sized rain cover which covers the whole pram with a snug fit and just slides over with ease and fixes in place with a bit of velcro (it sounds a bit flimsy but works perfectly fine with the cover being such a snug fit).

Over the main seat is an armbar bar, which is used with a footmuff. They have provided one in the box to keep your little ones feet warm, but I am not so impressed with how you fasten it in place. There are two ways to do this, one is to have it covering their legs and part of their body using two little velcro circles.The other is to fold it over the armbar and meet two magnets together, this second way only keeps their feet warm. Both ways are a let down to the final product, if your little one does a lot of kicking you will find yourself picking it up all the time, it just does not stay fastened either way!

The handlebar is extendable to many adjustable heights. It has a comfortable grip. Some prams have a soft cushioned grip but with the Joie Chrome Plus you just get standard plastic which is alright.

Now the selling point for me, how does the buggy fold down?

Well, it's so simple, there are two liftable clips on both sides of the handlebar, lift these and push the the handlebar forward and the whole pram will fold down completely flat, you don't even have to remove the seat to fold it down.
Again it’s just as simple to unfold the pram, there is a little catch on the side of the pram which you just unlatch and then pull the handlebar up and then the pram is built again. It’s so simple (I think even a monkey could work this out), the pram basically folds and unfolds itself with very little effort on your part.

Now for all my test runs of how the pram performs on different surfaces.

Pavement: The pram just glides along with ease and steering around the tightest or sharpest of corners is just so easy thanks to the swivel front wheels. Also reversing is exactly the same. My Nephews even had a great time pushing Scarlett around Town.

Shops: I am mentioning this one because it's what all of us mums do (girly shopping), the results are the same as going along the pavement even on the shiniest of shop floors. But I have noticed one thing, because the back wheels are quite large and stick out a bit (the back axle is the widest part of the pram) it's easy to get stuck on shop fittings/fixtures. I have got stuck on many occasions and had to back up a little to maneuver the pram, it's not the end of the world but it might annoy some mums or dads.

Because the back axle has great suspension even if you did bump into something and your little one was asleep they wouldn't notice because the suspension takes all of the bumps.

Grassy/hilly terrain: I have been on a lot of walks with Scarlett and my doggies. The pram performs well on grass but when it comes to bumpy areas the pram does bounce around a lot. Don't get me wrong it's still easy enough to push around thanks to the large wheels but in some of my walking area it takes too much effort to push the pram over all of the dips and rivets in the grass, on normal flat grassy areas its fine, its just those uneven parts that can be a bit of a problem, the suspension does help a lot over the bumps, but for me it's just easier to avoid walks in my area that are too uneven.

I have yet to test the pram on sand unfortunately. One of these days Scarlett will get her beach day out, maybe down in Cornwall, I am not a fan of my beaches in the area.

Additional info:

Features:

Suitable from birth to 15kg
Rearward and forward facing detachable seat unit
Fully flat recline with 2-position leg rest
Adjustable handle height
Spacious shopping basket
Easy-entry bumper bar
Ultra-compact folding
Lockable front swivel wheels
Single-step, scuff free brake
Folds with pushchair seat attached
Soft, padded seat

Open Size: l 90.8 x w 56.5 x h 102.4cm
Folded Size: 26 x 56.5 x 80.8m
Product Weight: 9.58kg

Final thoughts:

I am very happy I didn't spend all that extra money on a more expensive pram for the sake of having a well known brand. The pram has excellent included extras, looks stylish, has very good maneuverability and a very sturdy construction. Apart from a couple of little niggles (these could be improved on their newer models) I am very impressed with the value for money and overall performance of the Joie Chrome Plus and I would recommend the 3 in 1 travel system to all the mums and dads out there.

• kiss_me2070 published 17/08/2017
    Brilliantly reviewed - E.
  • Katierhiain published 16/08/2017
    E! I have a Joie baby swing and love it, have always thought it was a great brand.
  • stacie17 published 16/08/2017
    Fab write up! E x

offers "Joie Chrome Plus Pushchair"