Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards

Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards

Food Preparation - Chopping Board

Review of "Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards"

published 29/01/2011 | InchyInchy
Member since : 21/06/2010
Satisfactory
Pro Space saving idea and it looks very good
Cons The chopping boards scratch easily and they are far to small

"Not my favourite kitchen essential - Joseph Joseph Index Chopping"

Joseph Joseph Index Chopping Board

When my husband's mother asked me what I would like for Christmas I just mentioned maybe something for the kitchen, so I was delighted to find that she had bought us this Joseph Joseph Index chopping board as we really could have been done with a couple of extra chopping boards, I can never seem to find a clean one when I want it.

When I initially removed this from the box the first thing that I noticed was it is quite a sturdy product with a good weighty feel about it when it was all together, which is great because with a busy kitchen work top space I like things that won't just tumble over at the slightest knock. For your money you get a presentation stand (or container) which comes in a rather attractive silver plastic. Inside that there is four different chopping boards all colour coordinated and with little pictures on the index style tabs representing; raw meat (red), cooked food (white), vegetables (green) and fish (blue). When I first received these I was very pleased with the set, it looks great and it looks like a great space saving idea. However, after using them for a while I now unfortunately have some reservations about the index chopping boards and they haven't came in as handy as I initially thought that they would.

Firstly when I started using these I noticed how small they were. I have been up until that point been using glass chopping boards, some of which are also from the Joseph Joseph range. The glass chopping boards that I have been mostly using measure in at 40 x 30 centimetres, whereas the size of these index chopping boards come in at only 30 x 20 centimetres. Although this doesn't look like a drastic difference when written down it really does limit your working space, especially if you are trying to peel and chop quite a few different items or vegetables at once without having to move things around.

One of the main reasons in the past why I have tended to avoid plastic chopping boards (and wood ones) is that they can be cut into which means that these small scratches can be the breeding ground for numerous nasty bugs, which I would rather keep away from my food. These index chopping boards do unfortunately tend to mark very easily, on the board we use for bread you can clearly see the indents from the pizza cutter and I wouldn't say that I was particularly heavy handed. I do understand that this germ contamination is less of an issue with these boards because you don't ever need to use the raw meat one with cooked foods, but I still don't like it. I have chosen not to use these for chopping or cutting raw meat instead I use the red one for chopping up my cooked chicken. Again this is just a personal issue if a few scratches don't bother you then these boards are sturdy, they haven't bent or showed any sigh of other wear and tear. I have also used these to leave hot pots on when we are doing a help yourself family dinner and they have never been marked with the heat from the pot, something I was a bit concerned with but I have used them for this purpose on more than one occasion now.

I think these index chopping boards would be more suited to someone that didn't cook all that much. I love cooking and I have been trying my hand at more and more recipes of late and that always means more chopping, I don't think these boards add anything to my kitchen apart from yet another smart looking idea. However, these have been used quite a few times for presentation, putting pizza and nibbles out on these when we had some friends over. For this they look great with the colours and it is nice to not always put things straight into a bowl.

These are as easy to clean and maintain pretty much as any chopping board. They are dishwasher safe and personally I always prefer to wash my chopping boards in the dish washer whenever possible to give them a good clean. They have also retained their colour well so far and still look nice and vibrant. However, I also try and clean out the silver display and container unit on a regular basis, believing there is no point in putting clean chopping boards in a dirty container, this is a bit more of a pain to wash but I tend to just give it a good swoosh around in a hot basin of soapy water.

We got these as a present so I wasn't sure how much they were, thanks to the internet and a quick search later I was rather astounded to find that these typically retail for £42.00, of course if you are picking these up you can find them cheaper if you shop around. Personally, I think you are paying a lot for some of the novelty factor and a great idea that in my opinion just hasn't been entirely well executed. If they would do something similar with slightly larger more robust chopping boards then I will definitely be a repeat costumer.

Sadly, although I do like the look of these and they do come in handy and look nice in the kitchen I think for the price this really doesn't deliver the quality and practicality that I would want. I like these but I still use my larger glass board more often, I prefer the size and unlike the plastic boards the glass one doesn't get marked by using a sharp knife on it. Personally, I will be sticking with and buying more of the very good Joseph Joseph glass chopping boards. Therefore, this index chopping board is only going to get a poor two out of five stars from me. Again personally I wouldn't recommend these are they just aren't that hard wearing and I find myself only using them occasionally rather than being a staple of my kitchen. Overall, these look better than they function. As you might suspect from having read the review I would hesitate to recommend these to anyone else, but I have read some great reviews of this Joseph Joseph Index chopping board so it might just come down to not being my personal taste.

• Wickedinrock published 18/02/2011
    Super review, these look amazing! A shame that they're not quite as good as they look!
  • AnneLorraine1 published 02/02/2011
    Excellently reviewed
  • Hishyeness published 31/01/2011
    A typical case of style over substance! Nicely covered 8^)