Food Preparation - Chopping Board

Review of "Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards"

published 28/03/2017 | daylehall
Member since : 02/07/2004
Thank you for my diamond...super chuffed :-)
Pro Stylish set, easy to use, durable, bright and colourful
Cons Knives do leave marks in the boards, expensive

"Back To The Chopping Board?"

Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards

As I am getting older, I am finding it harder and harder to give people ideas of what I would like for presents for both Christmas and my birthday. I have made it my mission for the last couple of years to really try and improve my skills in the kitchen and with this in mind, my parents were kind enough to buy me these Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards.

The Set
This Joseph Joseph Index chopping board set is housed within a silver plastic outer container which looks quite classic and smart. The chopping boards themselves slot inside the outer housing. The entire unit with chopping boards slotted inside measures 33 x 23.5 x 8.5cm. The chopping boards are colour coded and come complete with little pictures on the index tabs. The idea is that a different chopping board is used depending on what it is you are chopping i.e. meat on one board, vegetables on another which then helps to reduce cross contamination when you are chopping different foods up for cooking.

The Chopping Boards
There are four different chopping boards included in the set; a lime green coloured board which can be used for vegetables, a bright blue board which can be used for chopping fish, a white board which can be used for cooked items and last of all a dark grey board which can be used for chopping raw meat. The chopping boards are made from hard plastic and can be wiped clean after use. They are also dishwasher safe and have knife friendly chopping surfaces which means that the little marks you get when using knives on plastic should be limited. Each board measures 20cm x 30cm. The boards themselves are light but actually pretty sturdy and do not bend at all when being used.

Price
As I mentioned earlier, I was lucky enough to receive these chopping boards as a present. A quick look online has informed me that this set is currently available at Debenhams for £50. I was gobsmacked at how expensive they were and I imagine my parents would have got them on sale as can’t see them spending that much on a set.

To Use
The boards sit nice and neatly inside the outer housing. The index tabs also work really well as a ‘grabbing point’ for getting the boards out of the outer housing. The index tabs are staggered in design meaning that you can easily see which board is designed to be used for which purpose. The tabs are made from a non-slip material meaning they are really easy to grab when you want to use them.

Using the actual boards is relatively simple too, much like any other chopping boards to be honest. The boards are quite small compared to other chopping boards I have used in the past but this doesn’t cause me too many issues. Occasionally when I have lots of vegetables to chop up, for example for a soup then I find that I may have to move some of the vegetables to a different bowl to give me more space to chop more vegetables on the board. This doesn’t really bother me a great deal but does of cause mean more washing up.

Cleaning
These boards are really quick and easy to clean. They can either be wiped with a damp cloth or they can also be put in the dishwasher. Personally I always try to put them in the dishwasher as I like them to be put in a nice hot wash. However, if I have only been chopping up bread then I will just wipe it clean with a damp cloth. I have had these boards for just over a year now and they have not faded in colour at all in this time, despite being used daily.

As I mentioned above, I have had these chopping boards for just over a year and they boards have not shown any signs of fading in colour. Having said that, the boards do show slight signs of wear and tear and even though they claim to have ‘knife friendly’ surfaces they do have a fair few marks in them from knives. This doesn’t bother me that much as the marks are very shallow and do not affect the usage of the boards at all. However, if I had paid £50 for this set – I would be slightly annoyed that they mark so easily with a knife.

Summary
In summary I would certainly recommend these boards although I do think that £50 seems very expensive for a set of chopping boards and there are certainly cheaper ones available. I would like to think that you are paying a higher price tag for better quality but sadly these chopping boards mark in just the same way as cheaper ones. I love the idea behind these boards, of using a different board for different items to help avoid cross contamination. I also like the design of the boards, the fact that all the boards can be neatly stored together and easily identified by the index tab. I think these chopping boards are good quality and certainly do the job well but I do feel that you could get better value for money buying a cheaper set.

• siberian-queen published 06/04/2017
    vh
  • DodoRabbit published 01/04/2017
    Well reviewed :)
  • NBCMad92 published 31/03/2017
    good read, this review doesn't get the chop! ha!