Review of "Kawasaki Concours GTR1000"

published 11/11/2011 | ChappeurzZZR11
Member since : 11/11/2011
Pro Smooth + Comfortable. Frugal on fuel, Not an expensive bike to buy or run. OK in rain and wind.
Cons Average brakes. Awkward to put onto centre stand.
Performance
Reliability
Handling
Customer service

"GTR1000 1987 Superb Tourer"

I bought my 1987 , GTR 1000 in August 2010, mainly for a trp to La France, in particular , to visit firstly Oradour sur Sarne, the historic village , deserted since WW 2. Its situated near Limoges. Then back up North to the Normandy beaches.
I bought it on the Saturday and left on the next Weds. Only a few jobs done b4 leaving, which were an oil change and to fit a lipped screen, one of the 4 which came with the bike. Checked tyres + brakes , and off we went.
Initially happy with the bike overall. Though after a few days realised I had a problem with the handling. OK , I should have maybe put a new front tyre on b4 leaving. Hindsight !! The bike was " falling " into right handers, + shaking a little if I slowed down . Ok on the power tho.
So we rode approx 300 to 400 miles daily , and I found the GTR to be a very comfortable bike. Superb custom seat and slightly higher than standard bars helped this. At French motorway speeds , say 85/90 mph it returned 54 mpg regularly. Tank range being about 225 b4 going onto reserve, ~ which holds a further 6 litres , I believe. Basically, a good all rounder ! Shafty , too.
On the last day we rode from the Normandy area, up to Cherbourg then up to Calais, over 2 Dover and then down to Plymouth. All in one hit. There are not many bikes I,d like to do that on . My ZZR 11 could prob do it a lot quicker , but not as comfy.
Bought new tyres in Plymouth, Avon Azaro's, which transformed the handling. Superb tyres. Plus I put a 110 section on the front - much better - a 120 had been on it when purchased. 90 mph in the wet + no probs. Very stable, + the wind /rain just flies over my head.
Try One for yourself !! Satisfaction Guaranteed. !! By me , anyway..

Regards to all who read this. Dave Chapman.. North Wales..

PS. Mirrors are SUPERB. U can even see the little Froggy Gendarmerie sneaking up on you..!!!