Keep Smiling Through - Lilian Harry

Keep Smiling Through - Lilian Harry

Review of "Keep Smiling Through - Lilian Harry"

published 07/04/2012 | sarahbarrow
Member since : 11/05/2007
Well that was the longest couple of weeks break I've ever had! xx
Pro Not much.
Cons Everything else!
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"Keep smiling........be over soon!"

My mother in law has always been a big fan of wartime books, with me enjoying them to a certain degree, though I do now have a towering pile of them to get through I am enjoying them a little less!

This particular book is called “Keep smiling through” by Lilian Harry, an author who I have read before, and enjoyed too, so I had reasonably high hopes for this particular offering.

It is May 1941, and the people living in April Grove Portsmouth are beginning to feel that the war will never end, whole families have been separated, even torn apart, with the few remaining men starting to fear for their futures as the main breadwinner and master of their domains due to the women of the houses having to take on so-called men’s positions to keep their worlds turning!

Betty knows she will face certain conflicts at home as she falls deeply in love with a “conchie” (someone who refuses to fight in the war), especially since her father is now at home suffering with what we now know as “post traumatic syndrome”.

Micky is one of a very few children not to have been evacuated when war started, and after seeing two of his best buddies being blown up, he decides that he must take matters into his own hands, and starts his own home guard, though unwittingly nearly brings tragedy to them all.

I have o say he synopsis sounds much better than the actual book was, I only managed to read around half of it before I realised that actually I didn’t really know who half the characters were and how they were related to each other, let alone care if they survived another night of intense bombing by the Germans.

There was a small thread of a story that I did find readable, with this being f a young girl, exposed to the new world of service men pouring into Portsmouth before being shipped out to the conflict, and how she (like many others at that time) became a statistic, getting pregnant but persuading her (almost as young) hapless boyfriend to run away with her and not go out to sea to fight, though even this couldn’t make me read anymore of the book than I did!

I was incredibly disappointed with this book, and am sorry to say wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!

Thanks for reading x

ISBN 978-1-4072-1626-3

• greenierexyboy published 10/04/2012
    That looks like a chocolate wrapper.
  • catsholiday published 07/04/2012
    One to avoid!

Product Information : Keep Smiling Through - Lilian Harry

May 1941 - and the people of April Grove Portsmouth are beginning to feel the war will never end. Families are being torn apart not only by the separations and loss of war but by more unexpected frictions as wives and daughters play new and independent roles and children are forced to grow up too fast. Betty faces conflict at home over the man that she loves; Carol is desperate to escape her carping mother; and Micky nearly brings tragedy to them all. Yet as the war irredeemably changes their lives the families of April Grove learn to endure - and even to keep smiling through.

Type: Fiction