Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Review of "Kentucky Fried Chicken"

published 05/05/2008 | happydadtoo
Member since : 22/01/2005
I am a schoolmaster at a major public school with 30 years experience. I have 3 delightful daughters and my other interests include photography, gardening and cooking. I help with www.biologymad.com for A-level biologists.
Pro cheap(ish)
Cons Everything else - small portions, poor quality, poor flavour, poor welfare (I assume)
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"'Fully Loaded' meal: yes - empty calories only!"

This is mainly based on the Shrewsbury branch, but much applies everywhere!
KFC is the original chicken only fast-food restaurant. As such it needs to 're-invent' itself periodically and is currently running an ad campaign based on their 'family bucket'.
I tried a 'fully loaded' box. This comprises the world's smallest portion of chips (around 15, slightly undercooked, JUST warm chips, and with no salt); a chicken breast fillet burger-style (ie in a bun, with mayo and lettuce). This was juicy, edible and tasted pleasant enough, BUT the mayo shot out when I bit into it, meaning that my trousers had to be dry-cleaned afterwards! Add to that the mayo was a funny orangy colour and the presence of additives was clear!
The meal also included a single piece of the original KFC chicken, coated with a breadcrumb and herb mix. This was incredibly greasy, dark in colour, yet the 'crumb' was doughy inside. The whole was barely warm.
The drink was a selection of fizzy carbonated rubbish (no milk, fresh juice or coffee/tea on offer as in McD's) and was really just a pot of ice with a small splash of drink added.
Also included was a napkin and a tiny hand-wipe.

I took most of the meal home and gave it to my dog. He turned his nose up at it and would not eat it...... 'nuff said!

Overall satisfaction? VERY low.

I might add that I spent 3 weeks touring in the SW states of the USA some years ago and ate well throughout, with an overdose of burgers, fries and steaks! However, the ONE truly AWFUL meal we had there was when we had a KFC meal (just to get away from beef!). It was truly ghastly - greasy and generally vile.

Obviously, KFC are a franchise, so the quality of the meal varies from outlet to outlet. But the choice on the menu is VERY poor. ONLY chicken is on the menu - nothing for veggies, and nothing for those after any other meat either. All with chips! McD's (and other burger bars) offer similar chicken burgers and have a fanatical attention to quality and consistency, which certainly puts KFC to shame. Pizza Hut (and others) offer a great dining-in experience for families and groups - AND offer a range of other dishes, besides pizza (OK, so it's limited, but the 'endless ice-cream' really IS yummy!).

Your local Chinese, Indian or other nationality take-away can offer a far wider and tastier choice (not to mention, healthier) - even my local fish and chip shop has more options!

No, KFC, your food might be tasty, but, as calorie-laden as it is, you will never, EVER, get me through your doors again.
Oh, and I only went THIS time because I was paid to go there and do a 'secret shopper' analysis of their service!!! Just remember, a dog won't eat their food........

Final thought - these meals are clearly designed to be as cheap as possible and so every POSSIBLE cost has been taken out (fair enough) - so what sort of conditions are the chickens kept in and how are they treated throughout their (

• SweetTooth93 published 24/05/2008
    Sometimes only a KFC will do :) xx
  • tallulahbang published 11/05/2008
    I do have a bit of a weakness for the magic stuff that they put on the chicken, but am always assailed by a wave of KFC guilt afterwards. xx
  • robert_parnham published 07/05/2008
    I've personally stopped going to KFC, on the grounds that their welfare is poor (again, i'm not a placard waving animal right-ist, just concerned). I also find thier food to be below average, greasy and the chips are always uncooked....

Product Information : Kentucky Fried Chicken