Kenwood Travel Kettle

Kenwood Travel Kettle

Review of "Kenwood Travel Kettle"

published 28/04/2012 | rosaliecullen6
Member since : 29/12/2011
Also rosaliecullen on DooYoo :)
Pro Compact and travel-friendly
Cons Lead a bit short.
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Great little kettle for travelling."

Why I bought this product

I purchased the Kenwood travel kettle as I go away a lot with work, particularly overseas where coffee percolators seems to be standard in any half decent rooms, but God help you if you want a cup of tea! I had a very old travel kettle, but cups of tea from that tasted like I was sucking a 2 pence coin, so decided the time had come to buy a new one.

The size

This kettle comes with two mini cups and the kettle itself will boil enough water for about 2 cups of tea, between 200ml and 450ml as stated in the description. I find as there is only me to make a cup of tea for, this is more than sufficient, any more would be a waste of energy. The kettle itself is very compact. I tend to take the box away with me, but you could just take the kettle itself.

**The speed**
The speed of how fast the water boils could be improved upon, particularly abroad with lower voltage plugs, that said, we're not talking 20 minutes for it to boil, probably less than 5 minutes which to be honest is not very long at all to wait for water to boil. It is not going to be as fast as a standard kettle, nor a rapid boil kettle (which I am used to), so perhaps I notice the slow speed more than others would.
The design

The lead is not too short and is long enough to realistically be able to plug it into the wall socket without struggling or without it being too long or add additional weight when travelling abroad (every kg counts!). I would prefer the lead to be longer but overall would rather my suitcase didn't weight a tonne either!

The lead does not detatch from the kettle, and there is nothing fancy like a swivel based, but be honest, all you want it to do is boil some water, I personally don't need any fancy features but this may irritate some people.

The two mini cups squeeze inside the kettle making it even more convenient to pack. The cups don't have handles so I sometimes just take a small mug for myself. The plastic is fairly thick so the lack of handle shouldn't be an issue, just down to preference I guess. It is a fairly lightweight design only ~0.5kg and ~20cm in height, making it perfect for travelling.

There is a manual switch to change from the 240 volts here to 110 volts abroad.

This is now available online for around £12. I purchased it when it was around £15 and thought it was good value then. Compared to some cheap kettles such as Cookworks standard size which can be picked up for a fiver, this is expensive at £12, given the lack of features. However, I guess you are paying extra for the brand name of Kenwood which is probably more trusted than Cookworks and you are paying extra because it is a specialist item. In terms of how it compares to other travel kettle prices, most are between £10 and £15, so this at £12 is a good price. I think with the cups, it is a good purchase at £12 and consider that good value for money.
To summarise

This kettle does exactly what it says on the box, it boils water, albeit a little bit slowly but so much better than attempting to make tea in a coffee percolator! Next time I would get a travel kettle with a longer lead as long as it didn't impact on the overall weight of the product too much.

• Nar2 published 29/04/2012
    Handy review, although a lot of Cookworks appliances are actually made by Kenwood.
  • mumsymary published 28/04/2012
    The Russel hobbs travel kettle we have has a v short lead too

Product Information : Kenwood Travel Kettle

Handy whether you're at home or on the road, the Kenwood Travel Kettle is a must for anyone for whom space is at a premium.The travel kettle is compact and able to boil between 200ml and 450ml at a time. The 600W jug kettle comes equipped with removable, washable limescale filter, a concealed element for rapid boil time and universal voltage for use anywhere in the world.The Kenwood Travel Kettle carries a 1-year manufacturer's guarantee.

Manufacturer: Kenwood