gothic_mo... 5

gothic_moon

Member since:23.09.2005

The Best Of Both Bread Worlds

03.05.2012

Advantages:
Fresh & soft, healthier with wholemeal goodness, tasty, half way taste between white & brown

Disadvantages:
None for me

33 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. MAFARRIMOND
  2. doriee.jay
  3. Amy69

I love both white and wholemeal bread, but usually for different things (I wouldn't, for instance, even consider a bacon sandwich on brown!). Kingsmill 50/50 offers the best of both worlds and a bit of extra 'healthy' goodness for your diet too.

Kingsmill, as part of Allied Bakeries, is a very popular brand with years of history and experience. Their ever-expanding range offers something for everyone who likes bread, and their 50/50 is an attempt at incorporating wholegrain goodness to those who aren't so keen on brown wholegrain bread.

This comes in a partly clear plastic bag, with the right hand side dedicated to the clearly recognisable logo in a blue/golden yellow design, and the other half shows the bread. The bread itself doesn't look completely like white or wholemeal, but, strangely enough, as a 50/50 cross between the two. Slices look fresh and for the most part consistently good quality; I've not noticed anywhere near as much in the way of dodgy slices that are stale around the edges or hole ridden as some loaves. You can see there's some wholemeal to the slices but it doesn't look like you may consider wholemeal to look like in the sense that it's still quite compact bread (I find wholemeal to often look 'looser' in texture than white). I hope that makes some sort of sense!

To taste, this has some sense of wholemeal to it without being too strong. It's noticeable enough that I really enjoy it without my partner, who's not keen on wholemeal, disliking it. He actually really likes this bread because it has a sense of being white in terms of its softness and freshness, but with a delicious hint of wholemeal. What I've also noticed with this bread it that it seems to stay fresh for a good while, probably longer than some of the white loaves, which is a bonus. It's also freezable, but I can't really comment there as I've never done that. I just twist the top of the bag and store in a bread bin to keep it fresh.

Per slice, the 50/50 medium contains 94 calories and 1g of fat, along with 2g of fibre. The fibre is one benefit of this over white, and it may be more easily digested for some people with stomach complaints too. In two slices, this bread provides 50% of your daily wholegrain recommended intake as the white bread is made with 50% wholemeal wheat flower. The fat/calories seems very reasonable to me and about average for medium slices, and it's also suitable for vegetarians.

All in all this is definitely one I'd recommend. It's reasonably priced for a soft, fresh loaf that tastes lovely and appeals to fans of both white and brown bread with the benefit of some wholemeal fibre goodness.

Medium 800g sells for around £1.05 (Tesco) and is also available as thick, no crusts or rolls.

Overall... This is a tasty bread that's a good compromise between white & brown.
[Also reviewed by me, Cazkins, on DooYoo]

« Previous review

Viborg 04.05.2012 01:13

It's a compromise in our household! I agree about it's keeping properties.

Novabug 03.05.2012 20:22

For me, not a patch on full wholemeal, but I like it too. :)