Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB

Review of "Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB"

published 04/10/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Great speed and high quality, tiny and lightweight.
Cons SSD can be expensive.
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB"

First impressions

I have owned anumber of Kingston USB storage devices in the past and overall I would say I have more experience with this brand than a lot of the other SSD suppliers I have come across. Here we have the Kingston HyperX SSD which has a capacity of 240GB. This is an average size for the Solid State Drive, though if you look to go beyond this size then you will be shelling out over £100 for the privelige. It is fair to say that the Solid State Drive is much more expensive than the HDD, but why?

Once I received my Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB I thought the seller had ripped me off. I thought the box was emtpy because it is so light! This is an easy mistake to make, and once you see the actual SSD you will notice how tiny it is compared to your current HDD. Many people upgrade from HDD to SSD but I will explain that shortly.

The HyperX is certainly a good looking piece of kit. I think first impressions can make up your mind as far as making a purchasing decision. It is odd because you will not be able to see it when it is fitte,d but the electric blue finish and branding on the casing suggest that this is a serious piece of kit. Many SSD's on the market are plain black with simple branding, so what Kingston have done is very clever. I would say that this SSD is around a quarter of the size that my old HDD was, though they do say that good things come in small packages.

My experience

I do not wish to claim that I know everything about computers but I bought a new laptop a short while ago and I was advised that the first thing I must do is replace the HDD with an SSD to improve performance. My HDD had a capacity of 500GB and this sounded great, but the problem with HDD is they having moving parts and this creates heat during operation. I am not sure what causes it but HDD's take much longer to load than SSD's when you turn your laptop on. I timed my new laptop and it took a whole 5 minutes to switch on. It isn't a brand new laptop but it has a powerful processor and other than the HDD it had an impressive set-up. I wanted to speed up the initial set-up and the SSD is a great way to improve performance.

The problem with the SSD is that if you want to replace your existing storage capacity like for like it is likely to cost you a packet. A 1TB SSD is going to set you back a few hundred pounds. This is probably the reason why they are seen as an aftermarket modification as opposed to a standard piece of kit on a new laptop. You can buy laptops with SSD's but they are not as common as HDD's.

The installation process was very simple and the physical sideof it is extremely simple to understand. You just have to locate where the HDD is hidden in your laptop and replace it with the SSD. You must then install a version of Windows or re-install it depending on your preference. I found this very easy because the laptop came with Windows 10 and I only wanted to use Windows 7, so this saved me a job anyway.

In terms of performance for comparison purposes the HyperX reads 6GB at 525MB/s. This is fairly standard for this capacity of SSD, and when you compare it to HDD this is very favourable. You really cannot fault SSD when compared to HDD, it is just a case of weighing up whether the additional costs are worthwhile and the small hassle of migrating your data to the new hard drive.

Price and availability

You can buy the Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB for around the £40 mark. This is great value for this capacity of SSD. If you are looking for a larger capacity then the Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB could be more suited to your needs, and at just £70 it is also good value for money compared to some brands which can price this size at up to £100.

Final thoughts

The Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB is a great piece of kit and it comes with an adapter plate for fitting. You will not have any trouble fitting it, the hardest part is setting it up. If you are not very technically minded it could be worth paying someone to do it for you. I certainly wouldn't want to risk losing all of my data to save just a few quid.

The Kingston brand has not let me down with this product and I will be continuing to use this brand for this kind of electronics. I may decide to replace other components in my laptop in the future and I will definitely be using Kingston if they can provide me with products that suit my needs.

• RICHADA published 05/10/2015
    Very interesting. R.
  • catsholiday published 05/10/2015
    I didn't know about the SSD and HDD stuff so thanks
  • hogsflesh published 05/10/2015