Kodak ESP 5

Review of "Kodak ESP 5"

published 23/05/2010 | tb240904
Member since : 09/05/2009
Orange!
Pro High quality, low cost printing.
Cons Manual needs improving.
Picture quality
Printing speed
Colour sensitivity
Reliability

"Kodak ESP 5 All-in-One Printer"

View of scanner.

View of scanner.

So, I noticed that Ciao are advertising Kodak printers at the moment with the opinions of some other reviewers. However, the printer I have has no reviews, a situation I feel needs dealt with as this is a really excellent printer.

My papa got this printer in November (I think - may have been earlier) and it's been no bother at all. Even my papa, who is what you'd call "technologically illiterate" is able to work it no bother. It is the successor to an Epson photo inkjet printer, a HP colour laser printer and a Brother all-in-one inkjet printer. I think it's far superior to all three and will compare it to them during this review.

Ciao's "Specific Criteria" section contains almost everything I want to talk about so I'll split my review up into sections based upon my ratings.

Picture Quality

5/5

I rarely print pictures, but my papa is a member of Lanark's camera club and prints out loads of high quality photos for competitions and exhibitions. Every Monday, one of his friends from the camera club comes to teach him how to use photoshop. With all three of the previous printers, there was always something wrong with the photos they printed out. The epson and brother printers regularly had pink or blue lines right down the middle and the laser printer produced very low quality photos. There have been no such problems with this printer - ever photo is very high quality and the only time there is any problem with them is when the colour ink is very low.

Another reason I love this printer is because the ink required to produce a high-quality photo costs only 6.3p (for an A4 printout, according to a report I read by a European consumer service, whose name I can't remember). This is amazingly cheap, as with most other printers it will cost you around 20-50p. I will try to find the source of this information and add it to my review.

Printing Speed

4/5

While this is a very fast printer, it is not quite as fast as the brother. However, it is worth waiting that little while longer for a better photo. On average, I'd say it takes about 20 seconds to print a full A4 black and white page of text and just over a minute for a high quality photo. This is a massive improvement over the epson I had, which took around 3 or 4 minutes to print one, very bad quality picture.

Colour Sensitivity

5/5

I'm going to be honest here, I have no idea what colour sensitivity is. I assume it has something to do with print quality and, as the photos this printer produces are excellent, I have given it 5/5. If colour sensitivity means something completely different, please let me know and I'll update my review accordingly.

Reliability

5/5

With my other inkjet printers, I had to do a nozzle cleaning or realign the print heads on an almost fortnightly basis. With this printer, I think I've had to clean the nozzles once and that was after 2 weeks of the printer being idle. The one problem I have is that when I'm printing a large document for school (around 80 pages or so), the printer does sometimes print the pages in the wrong order. However, I am sure this is a spooling problem as my computer has very little memory and this did happen with the other printers, too.

5/5

This printer cost my papa only £20 in argos when he returned his faulty brother printer. I'm not sure exactly how much it cost but it's on offer online at under £80, which is excellent value. I'd be willing to pay double that for a printer this good. The printer's ink is also good value. In argos it's around £17 for the two cartridges, which both last for quite a while. I've only changed the black cartridge twice in almost 8 months and I do quite a lot of printing. The colour cartidge has only been changed once, despite the amount of photos my papa prints.

Very easy

As I said at the start, even my 72 year old grandfather can work this printer with little help from me. Printing is very simple with the software included with the printer. My favourite feature is that it allows you to print double sided with no hassle at all. The other features (copying and scanning) are relatively simple. I'll be writing about them in more detail later on.

Design

The design is quite simple, which adds to the ease of use. The buttons are all on the top, along with a pop-up screen which gives instructions when printing double sided or when you need to insert paper or change the ink. There are not that many buttons and you know exactly what each of them does as they are clearly labelled. It's easy to feed paper into the paper tray and printouts come out at the same place the paper goes in. The scanner/copier is on the top, completely out of the way. Also, the ink is easy to get to - you just lift the cover. It also has slots on the front for printing photos directly from a memory card. I have never used this feature but it seems like quite a good idea, being able to print your photos without having to go through the computer.

Range of extra features / functions

This model has a built in copier and scanner. I have only used the scanner once to test it but I use the copier regularly and it always gives high quality copies. I have found it works best with black and white documents - when copying photos they're almost always lower quality.

Instruction manual

Needs improvement

Here, you have two choices. Use the very simple instructions that shows you how to insert paper and change ink, but almost nothing else. Or you could have a go at reading the big bulky manual full of technical jargon that even I couldn't understand, and I researched printers in detail as part of my Higher Computing coursework. Luckily, the printer is really easy to use and you can work out what to do without a manual.

Manufacturer Support

I don't know if all Kodaks come with a warranty, but mine's has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty plus we bought the 3 year extended warranty from argos. Also, Kodak send regular software updates. Having up to date software is always a good thing. There are plenty of ways to get in touch with kodak if there's a problem but I've never had to so I can't tell you how reliable they are.

Overall

5 Stars

This is an excellent printer that I'd happily recommend to a friend. I'd be shocked if you bought it and disliked it. It's affordable and high quality - what more could you want from it?

Also posted on Dooyoo under the same name.

Formatting note: there seems to be a problem with some of my subheadings - they appear as a series of stars. I don't know what has happened but you can see the rating I gave for each category in the heading of the review.

UPDATE 27/05/2010: Added some pictures and a photosynth.

• Amy69 published 17/06/2010
    Great review x
  • arnoldhenryrufus published 26/05/2010
    sounds a good one - Lyn x
  • Autarkis published 25/05/2010
    Nicely presented review :)