Review of "Kodak Single Use Camera"

published 21/01/2001 | wulise
Member since : 11/07/2000
Well, I am feeling alot better now. I have been to Tenerife with Shane and now need some inspiration to write again. Any suggestions?
Pro Cheap, easy to use
Cons Film processing not included
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Overall Look & Design

"Remember the Days"

Remember the days, when disposable cameras were little cardboard boxes containing a film and the picture quality was really poor (so dodge that they made 'Del Boy' look honest)? Yes, well then it is time to take another look at disposable cameras. They are ideal to take away on holiday. You do not have to take that expensive camera now for that two-week holiday in the Costa Del Wherever. Instead buy a disposable camera at the airport for a little as five pounds and the photo problem is solved.

I re-discovered these cameras last year after being put off by the boxes of the past. I became a fan after realising that I had forgotten my camera during a recent trip to New York. At the time I was still in the airport, so popped into Boots to see what cameras were on offer. Low and behold, there was a three for the price of two offer on the Advantix (fixed and variable picture formats) single use and Fun (also single use) Kodak cameras. I brought three of the Advantix range (variable) and paid £8.99 each for two plus the freebie and I have not looked back since.

There are many makes on the market and at Christmas 2000, Boots yet again had a Three for Two offer on their own disposable cameras. If I remember rightly they were around £7.99 each. These cameras come in a range of funky colours, Red, Blue, Purple, Gold, Silver and probably others. A colour for every outfit! These are not Advantix cameras hence the cheaper price.

Now for some of the technical data. The film speed is usually 400, and often contains 27 pictures within each camera, but always check the packaging so not to be caught out. Secondly, most disposable cameras have built-in flashes. The cheaper end of the market cameras are the ones which tend not to have them. There is no need to worry about loading film or batteries. They come in the camera and all you have to do is point and click (and switch on flash if appropriate!).

The picture quality tends to be high and gone are the grainy snaps of the past, but beware, as you are limited to the view and the focus of these basic cameras. The cost of the cameras tends not to include film processing. If you are abroad it is sometimes cheaper to have them processed there.

I feel that these cameras are an ideal way to introduce photography to children. If the camera is lost or damaged, all you have lost is no more than £10.00. They are ideal for field trips and they are simple to use. Also your child need not feel embarrassed about having a disposable camera. These cameras look like fashionable cameras and not the boxes of the past.

I have mentioned that you can buy them for Boots. I have seen them in Tescos, Superdrug, Waitrose etc. They are easy to find on the High Street so just take a look.

One more thing, a solicitor once told me to keep a disposable camera in my car so I could take pictures if I was every involved in a car crash. During the summer I witnessed a crash and took photos for the witness. They proved helpful with regards to her claim. Personally, I would not be without mine now.

• Please_believe_me published 12/10/2001
    This is more about single use cameras in general rather than kodak ones, although good op - ANDY

Product Information : Kodak Single Use Camera