emilyo 5

emilyo

Member since:11.10.2003

Would you like to take me underwater?!

14.03.2004

Advantages:
Very tough, waterproof, attractive

Disadvantages:
No flash, somewhat grainy pictures

Picture Quality

3. thingywhatsit
  1. KathrynPowell
  2. fnorth
  3. thecatsmother

I bought this camera a few weeks ago for a trip to a indoor waterpark so I could take some pictures of my beautiful 16 month girl and my fiance (who of course is equally beautiful, in a tough macho kinda way)! We wanted to take some photos of our daughter underwater as she is just learning to swim under water. For me this is amazing as I am not a huge water fan, so I wanted to capture the moment and take some great action shots.

As our camera can not be used underwater we decided to buy a disposable water camera. You can buy a waterproof camera from around £30 but as we already had a camera we were happy with we decided to purchase a disposable camera.

The choice was made some what easy as our local Jessops only had one disposable water camera to choose from and that was, of course, the Kodak Fun Sport. We found the price fairly reasonable for £9.90, not including processing. A "normal" non waterproof Kodak camera costs from £6 so you pay an extra £4 for the underwater and action shot extras.

The great thing about this camera was that not only were you able to go underwater but you were able to take action, fast movement shots.
Therefore it is a very tough camera, with a plastic cover around it to protect it from being battered and bruised.

You do not have a flash on it so no pictures in dim light. This was not as much as a problem as I first thought as the pictures that I took underwater, where there is low light came out really well.

I found the camera very easy to use. As it has no flash you are not required to do anything but wind the film on and press the button on the top of the camera. I found it very easy to take a few pictures in a row without having to move the camera away from my face.

The camera is very comfortable to hold and is extremly lightweight. A great feature, which I have not seen on a disposable camera before is that you have a carry cord which is big enough to put around your wrist, not long enough to put around your neck though.

The viewfinder was very clear but small at about 1cm by 1.2cm. As I wear glassed I found that it was more difficult to see as I could not hold it as close to my eye as I wanted.

So what about the phots I took, how did they come out? I was highly impressed with the quality of my photos. My underwater photos were suberb and full of colour. My daughter splashed about so much underwater I was sure the photos would turn out to be blurry but they were not.

I took quite a few pictures of my daughter running around a local funhouse and playing on slides and swings. These pictures too came out really well and were not blurry. I have been very impressed with the quality.

To finish off the film I took some photos in my flat. I have had a leaky roof for the past 9 months and my landlords have done nothing about it. I wanted some photos as evidence as they are not very nice people and I wanted to see if I could get some legal advice one the matter....anyway enough of me moaning about that. These photos came out quite well but not the quality I would have expected from my normal camera. The photos were not as clear as I would have liked.

What you have to remember is that this camera can take pictures in conditions that a normal camera can not. So use it for underwater, rollar coasters, abseiling, backpacking etc etc. This camera can take the knocks and blows but do not use it in dim environments or for portraits or landscapes.

I highly recommend this camera and found it great value for money. The huge fear of breaking or damaging my own camera was taken away and this camera did everything I expected it to do, I hope you have the same success with it.

Hope you find this useful, thanks for reading, Emily X

dididave 08.05.2004 17:01

For a tenner this sounds great. And that has to be the funniest titles I have seen on ciao!

Testarossa 06.05.2004 21:59

This looks really funky. Sam :o)

pinseyt 29.04.2004 14:23

Thanks for the review - I will definitely buy one for snokelling on holiday. Better than damaging my digital camera. Linz

Similar offers for Kodak Ultra Sport »

1 to 3 out of 4 similar offers for Kodak Ultra Sport Show all similar offers
BAXXTAR Smartbag Black bag case with convenient belt loop and shoulder strap for -- Kodak PlaySport Zx5 Zx3 -- Flip Ultra HD II III -- Toshiba Camileo S20 S30 -- Samsung W200 -- Nikon CoolPix S800c S1200pj -- Panasonic Lumix DMC 3D1

The sporty design speaks for itself. The bag can be worn on your belt with the loop on the ... more

back or around your neck with the included
lanyard.Special extra: Due to the clever double
zipper solution, the digital camera can also be
worn on the wrist strap of the camera.The small,
flat extra compartment for a storage card, or
small battery can conveniently be opened from the
outside.

amazon marketplace electronics
Postage & Packaging:  Free!
Availability:  Usually dispatched within 24 hours...

BAXXTAR Smartbag White bag case with convenient belt loop and shoulder strap for -- Kodak PlaySport Zx5 Zx3 -- Flip Ultra HD II III -- Toshiba Camileo S20 S30 -- Samsung W200 -- Nikon CoolPix S800c S1200pj -- Panasonic Lumix DMC 3D1

attractive and well designed bag in extremely durable material, featuring a new improved ... more

ergonomic design. To increase versatility it
includes belt loops as well as a shoulder strap.
micro fibre Nylon, your camera display is
effectively protected from friction damage
provides a further exterior pocket and interior
pocket to store small accessories such as battery,
memory cards, USB sticks etc Inner Dimensions:  12
x 6 x 2,5cm includes: 1x Camera Bag Baxxtar
smartbag, black, incl. lanyard

Postage & Packaging:  £3.99
Availability:  Usually dispatched within 24 hours...

GTMax 4pcs kits include - Extension Transfer USB Cable + 2 USB Charger Kit + Silver Mini Tripod for Flip Video Camera UltraHD 3rd Generation (8GB/2 hour), Sony Bloggie MHS-TS20/TS10, Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera"

USB Car Charger - BlackInput: 12~24v DC.Output: 5.0V / 1000mA.Intelligent IC chip inside ... more

recognizes a full battery and automatically switch
to a saver.You must have a USB charging cable
(sold separately) in order to charge your MP3
player with this charger.Mini Tripod Stand-
SilverThe legs are made in metal,can be blended
and adjustable.The metal legs provide solid
support.Lightweight and portable, easy to
store.Can be used for group photos.Perfect for
photographers on the run.Accessory only, camera is
not included.Suitable for all kind of camera,
digital cameras, web cameras and camcorders.USB A
/ A Male to Female Extension Cable - 6
FeetActively buffers the incoming and outgoing
signals to assure compliance with USB 2.0
specification for electrical and timing
minimums.Connect up to 5 active extension cables
end-to-end to achieve up to 30 ft extension.Both
low and high speed USB devices will function
equally well with this USB extension cable.UK USB
Travel Wall AC Charger - BlackInput: 100V - 240V
(U.S. & World Standard).Output: 5V / 1000mA.Short
circuit protection.LED charging
indication.Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a
full battery and automatically switch to a
saver.You must have a USB charging cable (sold
separately) in order to charge your MP3 player,
cellphone, ebook, GPS with this charger.

Postage & Packaging:  £3.99
Availability:  Usually dispatched within 4-5 business days...