Review of "Kona Cinder Cone"

published 11/03/2004 | nuttynaomi
Member since : 27/02/2004
Full-time self employed working mummy and wife!
Pro Go anywhere...Do anything bike
Cons tad expensive for what it is.
How does it compare to similar products?

"Wahoooo!"

Well where do i start with it!! .........its amazing!

I bought my little baby (big baby!) 2 years ago now. it was its birthday a couple weeks ago so had a celebration ride on it!!

It performs now as well as it did when i first bought it.

I did have to shop around a lot for it, although being current stock to all Kona stockists, it varied in price a lot.
I got quoted £900 in one shop and bought it in another for £699. others quoted £799, £750, £800 etc. its a shame there isn't more control over how much the shops can cost items at.
Im sure they wont mind me mentioning where i bought it from!.. Ralph Colman Cycles in Taunton.

I also had to put a new saddle on it since the one it comes with is a mens saddle!! but the very kindly fitted it for free for me and didnt even charge for the saddle which was a £25 womens specific. very good of them!

Anyway, back to the bike.
The colour is a little drab of the one i have....battle-ship grey! but they also did a muddy green colour so not a lot of choice.
i have brightened it up with red Crud Catchers which look the part!
The bike is soo capable. I took it to France in the summer, i little aprehensive that i may look a nutcase riding it over there, but it went down a treat on the trails a tracks they have over there.
it loves the warmth..like the rider!

Its now heading into its second winter with me and enjoys evey minute of life!

I used to ride it to work before a car arrived that was quicker and warmer!
It is exceptionaly sure footed and if it was a car it would be 4x4!
it can ride on ice like its tarmac, ft deep puddles/fords like theres no water on the road and still brakes perfectly everytime with the amazing disc brakes it has fitted as standard.

There has been some sceptisism about cable disc brakes, and understandably, but these are perfect. they have never let me down.

It is a little heavy to lift at times but i am only 5'2! its just like mounting a horse and feels like you own the road when you're on it!
The minute you get on the saddle, it somehow comes to life.

Its amazing!

Hurts your pocket to start with, but if you can withstand that, then its well worth it for the fun and excitment of riding the most amazing bike!

I would recomend getting insurance for it for at least the first year incase its nicked while your at the pub or you fall off. E&L do this for a reasonable amount for the first year and covers rider.

Enjoy the ride :)

• weetoon published 16/04/2006
    Do you still use it? I have a bike, but to my shame it has not been out of the cupboard for about 2 years.
  • SnowiestElf published 28/01/2006
    as l-m-n-o-p said, I don't think this was a bad review. I should spend more time on my bike - maybe cycle to work, it would save me £200 in travel costs per month :o)
  • sazy published 29/11/2005
    Brilliant review.

offers "Kona Cinder Cone"