Kona Fire Mountain

Kona Fire Mountain

Mountain Bike

Review of "Kona Fire Mountain"

published 09/04/2006 | 090pete6000
Member since : 08/04/2006
Pro exelent value for money, very strong can take some abuse
Cons the overall bike is quite heavy, and has bad saddle
How does it compare to similar products?

"kona firemountain"

I bought the 2005 model Fire Mountain in the beginning of last year. I rode it XC for a good 3 months after purchase. The bike performed well, has a good gear ratio (has capability to go extremely fast, and get up the steepest of hills). But the comfort was not great, especial on longer rides. I found myself having to stop not because I was tiered or out of breath, but because I was in so much pain I had no choice.
In the summer I rode some slightly more aggressive terrain dropping of ledges, riding light DH freeride trails the bike seemed to handle it ok. The only part of my bike that didn't was my bars when I stacked it going to fast and bent them.
I've gone back to Xcing now and all the components are still going strong.
componaents:
the fork make this a smooth ride for the price but the adjustability is not efective
the disk brake do not need much wearing in and can still lock my weels today no matter how fast im going, and I've still not changed the pads.
the weels are very light they are fairly buckle resistant.
I hade to change the peddles because i did not want to mess around with the straps.
tires offer good grip, and there fast rollers
the gears are still ok but now it takes a while to get in to 1st

Overall I have to say this is an excellent entry level all-round mountain bike with very strong frame, forks and all other components. But this does come at a price - the weight. It is quite heavy.
my advise to you would be if you ride hard get this bike.
For the less adventurous among you a advice to you is to get a lighter bike.

• iancozens12 published 09/04/2006
    I always find that when I get a bike it is never perfect and always end up changing components, and there is a lot more you could comment on as bikes become all the more advanced.
  • newty1977 published 09/04/2006
    Hi... welcome to Ciao... more detail required on review for higher rating. Cheers

offers "Kona Fire Mountain"