Cricket Bat

Review of "Kookaburra Players Bat Grip"

published 26/10/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Reviews : 2060
Ciao needs to have a number of 'guides' to vet white dot members' first reviews before they go live on the site. The white dots are taking over, and genuine established members are getting even less exposure on the front page.
Pro Good quality, affordable, durable, range of colours and grip styles.
Cons -
Power
Control

"Kookaburra Bat Grip"

First impressions

The Kookaburra brand is known for its high quality cricket equipment and accessories. If you are looking for a new bat or even pads etc. then Kookaburra will have what you want and need. The prices are usually reasonable, though they can be a little more than alternative brands due to the higher than average quality.

I like the motif of the Kookaburra brand, and this is why I have owned a few of their bats down the years. The motif catches the eye, and obviously the quality isn't too bad either! Most importantly, this is a brand that you can buy from local sports stores, though you will always be able to get competitive deals online. Te Kookaburra brand is widely heard of in cricket circles.

My experience

I am sure that you will ask a dozen batters and they will all have a different preference as far as the grip is concerned. Some prefer a grip that is consistent in texture and thickness, and some prefer more grip towards the end of the bat for when they hit the single handed shots. I must admit I don't play many one-handed shots, but if I did I would want plenty of grip up top. This Kookaburra grip is consistent throughout its length, though you can buy grips in this range that vary in style and texture, and there is a grip that will reduce the likelihood of the bat turning in your hands as it has markings running against one another.

In terms of looks a grip is a grip as far as I am concerned. You an get the Kookaburra grips in a wide range of colours, though each model in their range has around 5 choices of colour for that specific design. The grips are made from rubber, and this is obviously the best material to give you lots of grip, and this remains the case even in damp conditions. You may find yourself playing more in damp conditions in low league matches as opposed to the international teams (!) but I don't mind the unpredictability, and the surface can play the same or even better in the wet on some of these tracks!

This is a good quality grip, though it may look rather basic. It has proven to be durable, and although it was replaced fairly recently this was just to refresh the grip as I always do every once in a while.

Fitting the bat grips can be a pain, but I find it rather simple. A bit of patience, force, and a plastic carrier bag do the trick, and this is the secret behind easily fitting a new grip to your cricket bat. There are tutorials online so I will not go into great detail on this review.

Price and availability

You can buy cricket bat grips for a couple of pounds in some of the major sports stores, though the Kookaburra brand is priced a little higher a £4 simply because of the high quality. You can buy these grips online from a range of retailers, but take into consideration postal costs. I would recommend buying this product as an add-on to a larger purchase.

Final thoughts

Overall I am impressed with the quality of the Kookaburra bat grip. Their range is extensive and caters for the needs of all styles of player, and it just so happens that I think I bought the right grip for me. I prefer the plain and simple grips, but this one is durable and simple to play with and offers plenty of grip.

• MrsWilkes published 04/01/2017
    Vh
  • 1st2thebar published 28/10/2016
    I would expect the tree kingfisher to have a good grip.
  • euphie published 27/10/2016