SRowlands 5

SRowlands

Member since:09.09.2002

Car Insurance Renewal Sorted For Another Year !

05.02.2005

Advantages:
Very competitive quote, and excellent customer service .

Disadvantages:
None that I have experienced .

25 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. evilfran
  2. jesi
  3. rachybobbins
and a further member

As February approaches each year, I prepare myself for numerous incoming telephone calls, masses of marketing post and an overflowing inbox. Why ? Because February is when my car insurance is due for it's annual renewal !
This is then followed by hours online, typing the same information over and over again, or alternatively repeating that same information over the telephone. To make matters worse, the telephone call centres are increasingly overseas, making a simple conversation or statement a real challenge.

In August last year, when my car needed some work on the brakes, I took my car into my local Kwik Fit. If you've read my previous reviews, you'll know that I had a few problems which were quickly sorted out to mutual satisfaction.

Shortly after that I received a telephone call from Kwik Fit Insurance asking if I'd like a quote on car insurance. I'm sure you know the situation, when you just want to get off the phone to a telemarketer, so I said that my insurance wasn't due until February and gave them permission to call back nearer the time.

I'd forgotten all about the telephone conversation until, when on 1st February, I received a call from Kwik Fit Insurance as promised.

I was impressed that the caller identified themselves quickly, and asked if it was a convenient time to provide me with an insurance quote. So many callers just assume that, because you've picked up the phone, that you're free to go straight into a lengthy sales pitch !

After taking some initial details, I was given an initial quote slightly higher than my renewal, but competitive nevertheless. The gentleman said that he had some other providers to contact, asked if it would be ok to call me back, to save me hanging on the phone. I readily agreed, and he said I'd get a call back within the hour.
Within the hour, I was chatting to the rep again, and the latest quote came in at around £50 cheaper than my renewal - and the policy was actually better !
I found this particulary impressive, as for the past three years no other quote has even come close to my renewal.
Despite this, I said that I had several other companies to call, and wanted to shop around. I was put under no pressure to agree then, instead I was asked when would be a convenient time to check to see if I wanted to go ahead, and I arranged a further call back a few days later.

In the meantime, I checked online sites, telephone lines and brokers for a more competitive price, but none came close to the £380 that Kwik Fit Insurance had quoted.

Again, as promised, I received another call from Kwik Fit Insurance to see if I had made a decision as of yet. The caller said that he had the authority to offer a discount to offer customers an incentive to switch to Kwik Fit. This discount was in the region of £20.00 - bringing the total saving to nearly £70.00. Although there was no pressure to agree there and then, this was enough to sway my decision, and I agreed to take out the policy.
After my details were confirmed, and the quote of around £360 confirmed, he asked me to hang on for just a minute whilst he checked something. After a short delay, he returned and said that he had just checked, and another company were offering a quote even lower than the previous amount - £30 cheaper !! This now brought the saving to over £100 !

They do charge a premium of 16% APR if you wish to pay by monthly installments, however this was already quoted in the price - still over £100 better off !

The quoted price also included the premium for paying by installments - an extra that I'd normally have had to pay with my previous insurer !

The other benefits of the comprehensive policy include...

- The car is covered for foreign travel.
- The car is covered for Fire damage, theft or attempted theft.
- The audio equipment is insured against theft.
- The car is covered against malicious damage.
- All glass (including sunroof) is covered for repair or replacement.
- The car is covered agains accidental damage.
- Personal effects in the car are also covered.
- A hire car is provided in the event of a theft.
- A 'new for old' replacement car.
- You are covered against passenger liability.
- When you are quoted for renewal, they check all providers - not just your existing one.

- You also get an "Autosave" card, which entitles you to 10% off prices at Kwik Fit Centres, saving you money on Brakes, Exhausts, Tyres, Servicing, Brakes and MOT tests.

Of course, some of the above features are subject to an excess fee, which is quoted when the policy is taken out, but is in line with other insurance providers.

A few hours after I'd taken out the policy, I received another call from Kwik Fit Insurance customer care, to check if I'd received my policy documents !! As I told him, I'd have been ULTRA impressed if they had arrived that quick !
The documents did actually arrive a couple of days later, along with comprehensive details of the policy, and how to make a claim should the need arise.

Throughout all my communication with the Kwik Fit Insurance team, the staff have always been polite, friendly and helpful. There was also no hard sell, or any pressure to commit to buying the policy there and then.

Getting a quote is a simple and straightforward process. It can be done over the telephone by calling 0800 027 9367, or by going online to http://www.kwik-fitinsurance.com, and clicking on the Car Insurance link. By getting a quote online, you can qualify for a discount of £25.00, however they will only quote online if have not incurred more than 5 motoring convictions in the last 5 years nor had more than 5 accidents or claims in the last 5 years.
The website also provides all the details of the policy, and the terms and conditions associated with it.

Of course, taking out the policy is only half of the experience with any insurance policy. The other half comes with how the company deals with claims.
If I do need to make a claim over the next year, I will update this review accordingly - but for once I sincerely hope that I have no need to update the review !!!

lindsayjayne 16.05.2006 02:06

Ohhhh I'm trying to find insurance for my car and every time I read a review I change my mind about which company to go with. I have several quotes all around the same price so in a way I'm lucky to have a choice....but I'm soooo confused. Great review though!

big_dirty_em_n_that 19.01.2006 19:15

i dunno about kwikfit, but i could do with a bit of a kwikfiX sometimes!!!! xox

Averilla 28.03.2005 15:48

I will be getting a quote from these next time. Av xx