LUSH Godiva Shampoo

LUSH Godiva Shampoo

Review of "LUSH Godiva Shampoo"

published 23/05/2012 | review_writer
Member since : 29/08/2011
Thanks so much kiss_me2070 for my first EVER "E" :) :) I do try sometimes :P x
Satisfactory
Pro smell, no packaging
Cons everything else
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"Sexy scent, not-so-sexy hair!"

This is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner bar from Lush, an environmentally-friendly company selling all sorts of nature-inspired products.

With its beautiful bright yellow design and chunks of white cocoa butter, the name was inspired by the legend of a lady called Godiva who rode a horse naked through the streets, covered by nothing bar from her hair. Thus, the concept reflects the legend due to it being a naked product, that is, unpackaged (although they put it it in a recyclable paper bag for you take away in), which is great as it saves the environment.

Lush says: Solid shampoo bar with added conditioner for a richer lather. Godiva uses our patented solid shampoo base with a sexy jasmine fragrance and a host of ingredients to give a more conditioning wash. Cocoa Butter, shea butter, camellia oil, jojoba oil, macadamia nut oil, extra virgin coconut oil and cupuaçu butter will feed the hair and moisturise the scalp. Great on dry or long hair that needs a creamier wash. The heady fragrance lasts on the hair all day and, if you are lucky enough to have long hair, you'll find it perfect for swishing about to create your very own cloud of allure.This shampoo bar shares the same sensual jasmine fragrance as our Flying Fox shower gel. We've taken the packaging and preservatives away from this shampoo, which is great for the environment and for you. We named this great naked product after a certain naked lady who rode through town on a horse.

The small size of this 55 gram bar of a sort of simplistic beauty is ideal for taking and using on the go, such as travelling, as it hardly takes up any space at all. The company also do a tin especially designed for this purpose. It's available in Lush stores or you can order from their webiste (although considering the costs of delivery you might be better off popping into the store, with standard delivery starting up to 20kg at £3.95). The bar sets you back £6, and is that one quid dearer due to added conditioner, as opposed to the other shampoo bars. I find this a little steep, as you can get a seperate shampoo and conditioner from other brands for no more than a quid per product for much more quantity too.

Its smell is not for the faint-hearted with a strong smell of jasmine which stays in the bathroom after you use it. Personally I do like the smell but if you are used to subtle "shampoo" smells such as Dove, etc. it might take you a while to get used to it to be honest! It smells like Lust, their perfume, or the Flying Fox the shower gel. I own Lust and I feel that this is a slightly less intense and less pure smell to the EDT (if that makes sense?).
The bar is intended for people who need a conditioning wash, such as those with dry hair. Having found the other Lush shampoo bars too drying (I have done reviews on these too if you like), I decided this might be the one for me. I have long blonde hair which gets greasy quickly but is dry on the lengths due to previous bleaching and drying.

The bar lathered up brilliantly and was thus very easy to use. My hair felt squeaky clean after washing. However, even with using a hair mask afterwards, the bleached lenths of my hair were extremely knotted and hard to comb through. I found tha bar to be very slightly less drying than the others from Lush, however my hair did not feel conditioned, in fact, less than using some shampoos without a conditioner. I still do not understand how this should be for dry hair as it cleaned my greasy roots extremely well. I wouldn't advise this for dry hair whatsoever! I don't feel like the cocoa butter bits were getting used up as fast as the shampoo was, as by the end of my bar, I was left with about 3 chunks of cocoa butter and only a bit of the canary yellow shampoo! It also seemed to be getting used up quite quickly-maybe a month or 5 weeks, although I had to use a lot for my long hair.

The one good thing about the bar was it did make my hair very, very shiny. However, my roots lay flat against my head and I had to wash my hair daily as it would get greasy so quickly again and this was really obvious, unlike with some other shampoos. Therefore, I would not recommend this 2-in-1 shampoo for greasy, or dry hair.

Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocoa Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Hibiscus Extract, Stearic Acid, Shea Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Camellia Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Jasmine Absolute, Ylang Ylang Oil, Cypress Oil, Palmarosa Oil, Jasmine Flowers, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cocamide DEA, Gardenia Extract, *Benzyl Alcohol, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool
*occurs naturally in essential oils

Thanks for reading as ever.

• JasonJRogers published 29/05/2012
    Nicely reviewed!
  • Bollinger28 published 27/05/2012
    I wasn't all that impressed with this bar either, and I HATED the smell of it too :o(
  • catsholiday published 23/05/2012
    I LOVE the smell of this and find it does a great job with my hair though I still tend to use a conditioner after it.

Product Information : LUSH Godiva Shampoo