Review of "L'Oreal Color Riche Star Secrets Lipstick"

published 27/12/2015 | missrarr
Member since : 12/03/2012
Relieved and delighted to see the back of a horrible 2016 and working towards better things.
Pro Lovely, subtle shades based on different skin tones, natural and polished look, creamy texture
Cons Longevity could be better although it doesn't bother me particualrly
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Star Quality"

I decided to try to glam up a bit in autumn. It’s my favourite time of year and I felt like making the most of the new fashions, and treating myself to a more polished look with a pretty natural-looking lipstick. I don’t normally wear the stuff, but for some reason I felt like enjoying a gentle peachy pink or nude shade while my skin was still showing a hint of a glow from the summer sunshine.

I went shopping for a day in London and found myself wandering around a large Boots store which happened to have a dedicated assistant to its L’Oreal counter - not something I’ve seen often. I was browsing the range and spotted that they had released a series of Colour Riche lipsticks in nude shades, each associated with a famous actress. Up to then I hadn’t had much luck finding the right shade of pink so I decided to ask the very helpful and chatty assistant what she thought, and she straight away picked out the shade associated with the beautiful red-haired actress Julianne Moore. As soon as she applied the shade and held out a mirror, I knew this was the shade I was looking for.

***THE RANGE***
L’Oreal’s Colour Riche lipstick range has been around for a while, although recently there have been a couple of special release lines such as these Collection Exclusive Nudes. This micro-range has six shades designed to look natural and effortless on women with similar colouring to those famous icons chosen to represent the shade.

The shades are:

Barely Peach - Julianne Moore. My shade, a gentle peachy pink but not as orange as the mention of peach might make you think. It’s actually subtly dusky, with no dominating element to the shade - subtle, polished and very natural looking. Company description: “Sensual and delicate to the extreme, enhances the radiance of pale complexions and endows them with elegance and sophistication.”

Barely Parma - Frieda Pinto. From the looks of the colour swatch on boots.com’s product page, this is a much duskier shade. Company description: “Perfect for emphasizing the delicacy and elegance of the amber complexion. The ultimate in refinement, this shade evokes a freshness as well as sheer sophistication.”

Barely Pink - Doutzen Kroes. A pale pink shade. Company description: “A combination of freshness and femininity with a sprinkling of softness. The way this barely pink nuance melts into any type of complexion gives it indispensable elegance.”

Barely Golden - Eva Longoria. A more orangey pink, judging from the colour example online. Company description: With a hint of gold added, the best to capture the radiance of matte skin and sublimate the complexion, the sun-kissed effect is worthy of the influential woman!”

Barely Greige - JLo. Again a darker, duskier, bolder sort of shade. Company description: “Ultra-chic and rich in iridescence, barely greige offers a discreet contrast to the skin, thereby enhancing the natural beauty of the complexion.”

Ebony Elegance - Liya Kebede. A much, much darker shade. Company description: “A barely brown nuance that adds a charming shade to the lips for a contrast to dark skin that comes up trumps.”

These lipsticks retail at £6.99 and are widely available. They come in matte-finished black packaging with a gold band and the signature of the woman who inspired the shade. The internal ‘twist-up’ part of the packaging is in gold and there is a tiny inter-locking gold part of the middle bar which clicks into place on the black lid. The tube is square in shape and overall looks quite classy. When new, the brand name is pressed into the lipstick near the top.

***MY THOUGHTS***
I have been really impressed with this lipstick. Normally I have never been someone who would wear liptstick daily but since buying this one I have applied it almost by default every day. First of all the assistant who suggested it matched the shade to me perfectly - I may not have the beautiful red hair of Julianne Moore but I have green eyes and pale skin like her and I think that her being used to represent this shade was a good, accurate marketing move.

First of all, to apply I find this works equally as well straight from the stick as well as with a brush. I can still get accurate application without a brush and I don’t find that it bleeds, despite it going on very gently. It is a very creamy lipstick and has never once left my lips feeling dried out or chapped. Also, I will often put on a balm before applying this which makes the overall effect even more creamy, but this doesn't smudge even if it does come off on glasses - not a complaint there, I basically expect it.

It may not be the longest lasting lipstick in the world but I like that this doesn’t stain the lips either. I am not disappointed with the longevity given the creamy formula and the fact that it doesn’t dry my skin.

In terms of lasting use, I have applied this virtually every day and I think that a tube will still last me long enough to go past the six month barrier quite easily.

The effect of the lipstick, particularly when applied on smooth, well-cared-for skin, is a subtle, polished, glamorous “finish” to make up, not a bold, over the top look or even very evidently there. It is just what I wanted in that it just rounds off a look. Equally, it has just enough of the slightly dusky pink to make the shade add to the overall look - unlike some nudes which can just be so pale that they almost make you look unwell. Think healthy, glowing English rose. Overall, it makes me more confident in my appearance and will always be subtle enough, and well suited enough to my colouring, to go with anything in terms of other make up and what I’m wearing.

Overall, combined with the fact that one of these will last me at least six months with regular repeated application on a near-daily basis, I think this lipstick is not only great value but also a top quality product which provides exactly what I wanted from a lipstick - a colour and finish so subtle and gentle that it’s almost like it isn’t there. The effect is soft, not overly shiny, not obvious, and very flattering, a creamy texture without any cheap looking shimmery element whatsoever. My favourite lipstick by far.

• GeorgieH1994 published 11/01/2016
    Great review
  • cath_del published 07/01/2016
    VH
  • hopey123 published 03/01/2016
    sounds like a perfect choice