Face Make-up - Foundation

Review of "L'Oreal Paris True Match Foundation"

published 17/10/2011 | Lools_24
Member since : 21/01/2009
Baby number 3 has arrived another beautiful little boy.... life is hectic at the moment so I wont be rating and reviewing much but will be back soon!!!
Good
Pro Range of shades, smooth consistency, easy to dispense a light-mid coverage foundation
Cons Poor coverage on imperfections looks patchy on combination skin, orange tint
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Not my true match"

L'Oreal Paris True Match Foundation

A few years ago I thought I had found my perfect foundation and I was very pleased with the results of the L’Oreal Matte Cashmere foundation after a long search to find “the one”. I went to my local Superdrug store to replace this product and I could not find my usual foundation. A bit panicked I headed to the larger Boots store which stocked a wider range of cosmetics. Imagine my shock when Boots also didn’t have my favoured beauty product. In place of my usual foundation was the L’Oreal True Match Foundation. I decided to ask a member of staff who explained the product I had been using had actually been replaced by the True Match Foundation and that the foundations were basically “very similar” therefore in my dazed state I decided to buy.

*** L’Oreal True Match Foundation***
The description of the foundation is “In 20 true-to-skin shades across warm, cool and neutral tones, True Match super-blendable liquid foundation perfectly matches the colour and texture of your skin, hiding imperfections with its fine, creamy texture.”

L’Oreal describe that the True match foundation offers “flawless coverage”, “natural looking true skin colour” and no caking or tide marks because of the silky texture of the foundation. This is outlined to adjust to the texture of an individual’s skin to create a flawless finish.

With foundation I tend to wear a mid to heavy coverage foundation. This is mainly due to having a very slight scar on my chin which has a red tint to it. Others can’t notice it but I am very conscious of it so I like a foundation which offers enough coverage to conceal this. I also have combination skin therefore like a foundation that works with skin hat has oiler and drier patches.

Finding a foundation that is the “right match” is also something I have found an issue over the years. A big advantage of the L’Oreal True Match Foundation is that it is available in 20 different shades. The range of shades is impressive and I feel there are lighter and darker shades but also suitable for warmer or cooler skin tones within the different shades of colour. The C range of colours are for cooler skin tones and range from the lightest shade (1) to the darker cooler shades working up to (7) . Warmer shades are the W range and follow a similar scale. The N range is for between a cooler to warmer skin tone.

The L’Oreal True Match Foundation is available from a number of beauty retailers. Retailers such as Boots, Superdrug, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s all stock this foundation. The foundation costs £9.99 for a 30ml sized bottle. Online you can purchase this foundation slightly cheaper from www.cheapsmells.co.uk and www.chemistdirect.com for £8. In terms of price this is a mid-priced foundation therefore I expected it to offer something more than the cheaper foundations priced at around £6.

***Application***
The L’Oreal True Match Foundation comes in a square rectangular glass bottle which holds 30ml of foundation. The foundation is available in over 20 different shades and as the glass bottle is clear you can see the foundation inside of the bottle and judge how much you have left. Although you can see the foundation shade inside the bottle I would definitely say it is worth trying a number of shades to make sure you get the correct shade. For example I purchased the W5 shade (warm golden sand) and from the bottle it looks very much like the other two warm shades on either side of the scale W4 and W6. It was only when I tested in store I could see a visable difference on my skin.

The bottle has a pump dispenser on the top of the bottle with a plastic lid which pops on and off. For travelling with I do not think this is the best foundation. Although the glass bottle is thick and durable the lid which covers the pump dispenser falls off and I found I lost mine after a few weeks.

To apply you simply press down on the pump dispenser and a small amount of liquid comes out. I find three small presses on the dispenser gives me enough foundation to apply to my face. The foundation has a very light scent to it which I feel smells very much like vanilla, rather than a plastic scent that many foundations have. The consistency of this foundation is a lot thicker than many other brands of foundations but I do not think it is as thick as the Matt Cashmere Foundation that it was apparently introduced to replace. Because of the thickness you do need to rub into your face with a little more effort but this also means that the foundation is more economical so you do not need to use so much.

I rub the foundation into my skin in circular movements using my fingers and I feel that the foundation has quite a dry feel to it rather than a wet sticky feel many foundations have. Once applied the overall feeling is a little more matt and powdery than the majority of foundations but I do not think as matt feeling as the Matt Cashmere foundation.

***Results***
Once the foundation is applied I feel skin feels very soft and silky. I really like the feel of my skin as it feels a lot softer and does not have a wet feel as the foundation feels so light.

Once applied I did feel the colour of the foundation is satisfactory but certainly not as natural looking as many foundations leave it. Although I had spent a lot of time choosing the right True Match Foundation shade I felt the overall colour matched my skin but had an orange tint which made it very apparent I was wearing foundation. The foundation lived up to its claims that you suffer no tide marks as it did blend into my skin but I just think the overall glow of colour on my face looked quite false and not like a natural skin colour.

In terms of coverage, when the foundation was applied I did feel that all imperfections on my face were covered adequately but I do not suffer a lot of blemishes or marks. I have a very small red mark on my cheek the size of a pinprick and a very small scar only around 4mm long which is only noticeable to me and within 10 minutes of applying this foundation I could see these appearing through the foundation. I was very disappointed as if you did have any spots which were red because this foundation only gives light or medium coverage I do not think that it would cover them.

Once applied although the True Match foundation does rub off slightly if you apply in the morning it will last on skin through the day but would need reapplied by the evening if you wanted it to last into the night. Providing you have quite even skin it does wear off evenly but if you have combination skin then the foundation can end up looking quite patchy. I have combination skin and on the normal to oiler areas on my t zone I find the foundation does actually look smooth on this skin and my skin does not look overly shiny (but still has a slight shine to it). On drier patches of my skin on my cheeks and forehead the True Match foundation clings to these areas, emphasising dry skin and looks quite orange. It is not such a problem on slightly dry skin but during the winter when my skin is looking moderately dry the True Match foundation is definitely not at all suitable.

Something I have found is that this foundation rubs off onto clothes etc. very easily. I hadn’t really noticed this until I was wearing this foundation and one of Mr Lools’ friends decided to (drunkenly) give me a random bear type hug and virtually had me in a headlock against his t shirt. In the centre of his light blue t-shirt was a bright orange mark was left which I decided not to mention but did not for future reference to take care when wearing this foundation and pulling sweaters over my head.

Removing the foundation is very easy and it does come off with a make-up wipe. One make up wipe is sufficient and although it appears a very orange colour when you remove the True Match foundation you do not have to put too much effort into removing it.

***Overall***
Although this is not the worst foundation I have ever used it certainly isn’t the best foundation either. My initial disappointment with L’Oreal True Match was that it was nothing like the L’Oreal Matte Cashmere foundation which I was told it had been introduced to replace. In my opinion replacements are meant to offer something more and I could not see this was the case with True Match.

I was impressed with the number of different shades that this foundation came in and think it is a definite advantage to have choice if you are searching for the “right colour”. However I did find that the colour which was the closest match I chose had a very slight orange unnatural tint to it when in natural light on my face and this was my initial concern when choosing a shade, the ones I discounted were because they looked too orange. The texture of the foundation is very soft and silky and leaves skin feeling soft but I felt down by the coverage. The foundation is a lighter to mid coverage foundation and I would have preferred a mid to heavy coverage in order to hide blemishes and imperfections as after only 10 minutes of wear I could see the very small scar on my chin appearing and other red areas on my face.

Best suited to those with normal skin (and definitely not combination) and not for those with dry skin as the foundation clings to dry patches. For £9.99 you can definitely buy better foundations which are a more natural colour and give better and longer lasting coverage.

This review was read 1917 times and was rated at

• Classicc published 03/09/2016
    Excellent review
  • KathEv published 28/10/2011
    Brilliant!
  • LadyValkyrie published 23/10/2011
    I've used this before, and am much keener on their Matte Morphose one. This one made my skin greasy.