lillamart... 5

lillamarta

About me: IT professional living and working in Provence, France with a huge passion for perfume. "Smell has this reputation of being somewhat different for each person. It's not really true, because if it were like that it wouldn't be an art" (Luca Turin)

Member since:12.12.2007

Happy and protected

16.02.2008

Advantages:
A high protection, versatile, non - barrier sunblock cream

Disadvantages:
Price, but it's worth it

Sun Protection Factor

Water resistancy

How does it affect your skin?It is quite gentle/nice

Staying PowerGood

Does it smell good?Yes

How easily is it absorbed?Average absorbed

Why did you buy it?Advertising

Value for moneyGood

1. anonymili
  2. Expired-Account
  3. inycon2

Introduction

I bought this product last December as I needed appropriate UV protection while using Elemis Tri-Enzyme Facial Wash (see my earlier review) as my twice daily anti-bacterial and biological exfoliator routine.

Why SPF 50+?

The Elemis Resurfacing Facial Wash works by removing a layer of dead skin cells of your skin, so your new, young cells become exposed on the surface. You don't want pollution, UV rays and other environmental hazards damage these young cells straight away. That's why Elemis recommends an at least 30 SPF sun block cream.

Having spent two weeks in East Africa last October and beginning of November, for the first time in my life I saw brown spots appearing on the back of my hand. I did use a 30+ suncream on my skin and face during the holidays, so it was quite a shocking experience as I thought that only middle-aged women got these spots on their hands and arms.

When I got back to London, I just carried on with the usual SPF 15 enriched face creams I was using at the time. I didn't go out and buy any anti-brown spot cream after I got back from my holidays, simply because I didn't find any of the products capable of doing the job other than bleaching the skin or masking the impurities.

Selection

After a thorough look through the solar product section in Superdrug, I found one remaining bottle of L'Oreal Solar Expertise Active Anti-Wrinkle & Anti-brown Spot SPF 50+ and the same product with SPF 20+. Amazingly, they were on Buy One Get One Free so I picked up the SPF 20+ as well, though I would have preferred if both had been SPF 50+ but these were their remaining stock. I finally paid 11.50 for two 50ml bottles.

Application

L'Oreal Solar Expert Matte Fluid is not a barrier cream as most sun protection products are so it is readily absorbed by the skin.
The fluid isn't greasy and its texture is actually like liquid foundation.

I normally apply this product after my usual layer of face cream but before any compact foundation. The same cream also comes as a tinted version in the range so had I bought that I could probably spare having to use a tinted foundation altogether.

I spread a small amount of fluid into my hand then apply it on the entire face, neck and decollete. Finally, to treat the brown spots, I rub the rest in on the back of my hands.

Results

~ UV protection ~

As part of each Elemis facial, my skin is analysed and a page is printed out with 6 photos that show various states of the skin including UV exposure. These photos consistently showed a very high exposure to UV rays despite using the built-in SPF 15 factor day creams in my regime.

Having been used L'Oreal Solar Expert Matte Fluid SPF 50+ since my last Elemis facial last December, I waited for the skin analysis results on my latest facial a little apprehensively. Did it give me enough protection even in the mountain trips in the South of France and the Mediterranean sun during Christmas and New Years?

I was amazed to see that the UV exposure has descreased dramatically. Comparing the last two results of the skin lab on my skin in terms of UV exposure, I wouldn't have known I was looking at the same person's skin! I've got the photos at home and whenever I look at them, I must say I'm grateful to Elemis Facial Wash and having to use an SPF 30+ protection, otherwise I'd never discovered this product.

~ Brown-spot elimination ~

If these improvements were not enough, the brown spots on my left hand had all disappeared bar one, a stubborn spot, bigger and darker one than the others that are gone now. I think this brown has probably been around for a long time even prior to the appearance of the others last autumn.

My right hand looked better to start with, so now I can only see two faded brown spots that have developed during the aforementioned holiday.

~ Anti-wrinkle ~

This aspect actually comes from the fact that wrinkle formation is down to dehydration and UV damage. I was mainly using the cream for the elimination of brown spots and protecting my face against UV damage. I did not use this product as an anti-wrinkle treatment alone as I was using my usual daily creams before applying the cream.

How long does it last?

I've been using Matte Fluid for two months now I have the 50ml bottle about 60% full. Even with heavy usage on face, neck and hands, it will last me six months which I find OK.

It's actually good to have it in a 50ml bottle, as after 12 months, the active ingredients in sunblock creams start to break down. Always make sure your suncreams have not expired as they might not offer any UV protection what so ever after they expired.

Conclusion

L'Oreal Solar Expert Matte Fluid SPF50+ is a versatile product that you can use as a foundation, anti-brown spot cream on your hands, or as an anti-wrinkle / sun block cream on your face and neck.

I find L'Oreal Solar Expert Matte Fluid a product that keeps its promises. It has certainly proved me it is are highly protecting and very skin friendly too.

There's one thing that I definitely learned from my Elemis facials, is that UV damag is real, even at this climate (maybe even more so!) and adequate treatment is needed to prevent (further) damage to my skin.

For sensitive skin the recommended SPF factor is a minimum of 30+ or more, and the more the better. Aging is primarily caused by the damaging effects of the sun. This product will make sure you stay well protected.

Price / where to buy

Boots, Superdrug, online

£12.00 / 75ml
(The 50ml bottle seems to have been discontinued.)

Thanks for reading my review.

Lilla